Post-Game Talk: Bipolar Panthers crush Pens 4-1, move back into playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Gotta move him while he still has value imo. He's playing bottom pairing minutes outside the PP, he's way too expensive to be utilized like that.

He pretty much is a 3rd line player with a great shot if he hits the net

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Stillman impressing. I wanna see Weegar-Stillman pair. We need to get Ekblad a Campbell like d pair. The hope was Matheson would turn into that and I guess that's what there still hoping

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I'm not a believer in Deiedger but I'll enjoy the ride.

Matheson has been great recently. Exactly what we need from him.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Why can’t they always play with the attitude they had today? Forecheck hard, skate hard, get involved and then you won’t be always chasing the other team.

I guess the question should be worded, why WON’T they always play like this? Just play like that, and you’ll win more than lose. It won’t make you go 82-0-0 on the season, but the losses will be due to other team clicking more, other team executing a bit better, other team having more luck. The losses won’t be because of lack of effort, lack of will, lack of team unity, abundance of laziness, abundance of stupid crap.

Even Yandle might not suck after a few games of this.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Why can’t they always play with the attitude they had today? Forecheck hard, skate hard, get involved and then you won’t be always chasing the other team.

I guess the question should be worded, why WON’T they always play like this? Just play like that, and you’ll win more than lose. It won’t make you go 82-0-0 on the season, but the losses will be due to other team clicking more, other team executing a bit better, other team having more luck. The losses won’t be because of lack of effort, lack of will, lack of team unity, abundance of laziness, abundance of stupid crap.

it's hard man! it's a long season. if you feel you've got the skill to avoid working that hard by dangling and sniping, you'll avoid it.

even the good teams can't keep this up all season long.

about the game, a real nice road game.

missed the 1st and 2nd but was astounded to see the panthers credited with ZERO turnovers at around the 15 minute mark of the 2nd period. ended the game with 3. i look most nights and i rarely see turnover counts under 10. usually it's in the 15-20 range. it's been going steadily down the past week. had a quite an impact on the style of the game, eh?

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Because they are a soft bunch. When you insert a guy like Hawk in there, you watch him hustle and throw a few big hits, then watch Vatrano work his tail off, amazing what happens. We need to bring even more of these types of players in.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
it's hard man! it's a long season. if you feel you've got the skill to avoid working that hard by dangling and sniping, you'll avoid it.

even the good teams can't keep this up all season long.

about the game, a real nice road game.

missed the 1st and 2nd but was astounded to see the panthers credited with ZERO turnovers at around the 15 minute mark of the 2nd period. ended the game with 3. i look most nights and i rarely see turnover counts under 10. usually it's in the 15-20 range. it's been going steadily down the past week. had a quite an impact on the style of the game, eh?
Yeah, it’s a long season, and yeah, it’s hard. The S.C. is the hardest trophy to win in professional sports.

They know it’s hard, but they are doing what they love and are getting paid enough to never have to work again after their careers in the NHL are done. So I’m not backing down from my demand: why WON’T they play like this every game? Why do they CHOOSE NOT TO? Some other teams do, and that is the difference right now - absolutely.

Reactions: Boothinator

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I have to say, as someone who criticizes the defense quite often, it's very interesting that after 4 starts now (granted small sample size), Driedger sports a .938 save percentage. That is a very impressive number.

I know teams typically play better in front of backups, but they did not look good defensively again tonight but this time got some really key saves.

Some of you are a little too hard on Bob but in all fairness he has had some real gaffs this year. He's cost us more than a few games now. I think at this point our defense is what it is, but if one goalie is getting you significantly better results you kind of have to go with them until that changes, regardless of what anyone's paycheque says.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I have to say, as someone who criticizes the defense quite often, it's very interesting that after 4 starts now (granted small sample size), Driedger sports a .938 save percentage. That is a very impressive number.

I know teams typically play better in front of backups, but they did not look good defensively again tonight but this time got some really key saves.

Some of you are a little too hard on Bob but in all fairness he has had some real gaffs this year. He's cost us more than a few games now. I think at this point our defense is what it is, but if one goalie is getting you significantly better results you kind of have to go with them until that changes, regardless of what anyone's paycheque says.

It's only a good thing. Driedger is hot so ride him until he falters. If he does, put Bob back in, he'll be itching to go.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's only a good thing. Driedger is hot so ride him until he falters. If he does, put Bob back in, he'll be itching to go.
I think that’s fair. If Driedger is going well AND the defense (being maybe less confident with him ironically) plays better, sounds like a win-win.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
This team. Of course after an awful game they beat the Pens.
Happy for the win but I feel like they're going to give me grey hair and stomach ulcers with this bipolar season. Yeah.
But for now, what a win :)

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Great game and well deserved win. They played hard and never really gave Pens time on the puck...which is usually what happens to the Panthers. ;) Thank the stars Q finally moved Yandle away from Ekblad and "promoted" Matheson there instead! Thought Malgin looked his best in a long while despite no points. Nice to have Hawryluk back, forchecked well and showed lots of energy out there. Same with Vatrano, been better lately. Hoff looked pretty good too and did really good in the build up to his goal. Dridger played really well, will admit I thought differently after 1 shot 1 goal. :D I say do my EA Sports NHL routine, ride the hot goalie until he has two bad games in a row. Bobrovsky will be itching to play and prove himself at that point. If Dridger does well enough to settle the defense down, we have a $10M backup. :cool:

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Because they are a soft bunch. When you insert a guy like Hawk in there, you watch him hustle and throw a few big hits, then watch Vatrano work his tail off, amazing what happens. We need to bring even more of these types of players in.

Well, I would more say they are a lazy bunch. It's not like it was all Hawk and Vatrano tonight, they all played like that really. So obviously they can play hard, they just don't on most nights. Sometimes that's fine, they have the more skill to win and score goals. But other times they really need to bring this energy and effort to a game.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I was unable to watch the Game even it was an early one, but i had other things to do and visitors.

Let me hear about Jayce, he had his Game the only thing i found so far was the Highlights and stats. But i find so many Zeros in his stats i better ask how he played.
He get under 10 Minutes of Ice Time, that doesnt listen good either.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well, I would more say they are a lazy bunch. It's not like it was all Hawk and Vatrano tonight, they all played like that really. So obviously they can play hard, they just don't on most nights. Sometimes that's fine, they have the more skill to win and score goals. But other times they really need to bring this energy and effort to a game.

Yeah, however you want to say it, this group clearly needs to see other guys in action getting their hands dirty before they follow the example and start mucking it up themselves. Look at what just the insertion of Jayce did to the overall team work ethic. They have to see the "energy guys" doibg their thing before they fall in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad