Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Shady's release ends 16-year streak of Bills' overinvestment in RB position

The bigger-picture takeaway on the end of the “Shady era” in Buffalo is this:
Let’s all hope and pray this ends a long and regrettable chapter in Bills roster-building history: The Giant Investment in Running Backs.

He raises a very good point. It's almost comical the way the Bills have squandered resources trying to find their franchise running back rather than building a balanced team.

Consider how long the Bills have been overpaying for backs.
It goes all the way back to 2003 when they invested a first-round pick on Willis McGahee – an extravagance on a roster that was hardly one injured home-run hitter away.
Then they used a first-rounder on Marshawn Lynch in 2007. Great player, bad fit in Buffalo. And he wasn’t worth No. 12 overall when they had other big needs (and when they could have had Darrelle Revis at No. 14).
Then they used the No. 10 overall pick in 2010 on C.J. Spiller. Very good player. But when you’re starting a total overhaul, as the Bills were in 2010, do you really want to make a running back your first big draft building lock?
Spiller shared the backfield with Fred Jackson, lasted in Buffalo through 2014 and then figuratively passed the overvalued-RB baton to McCoy.
So that makes 16 straight years the Bills have had an overvalued back on the roster through 2018.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
I never like being reminded of our O-Line... Guess they're a wild card at this point but the list doesn't inspire confidence.

Fine with everything else. McCoy is weird but makes some sense, I guess. Kinda getting numb to this admin's aversion to playmakers. And he was certainly stricken with happy feet the last season and a half, never good for a guy who goes east-to-west a lot.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I wouldn't bother. I'd sign a QB off another team's practice squad if someone went down. That's what would happen to the Bills developmental QB if he was any good.

But having a 3rd QB would be useful in practice for running the scout team.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Can anyone explain why they initially cut a guy like Coleman only to resign him to the 53 man roster almost immediately?

Im assuming there is something contract/cap related which benefits the team...?

I thought the NHL system was complicated but then I got into the NFL & I still don't understand a lot of it even now.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Can anyone explain why they initially cut a guy like Coleman only to resign him to the 53 man roster almost immediately?

Im assuming there is something contract/cap related which benefits the team...?

I thought the NHL system was complicated but then I got into the NFL & I still don't understand a lot of it even now.
Or was it something to do with the timing of placing Croom on IR? If they had placed him on IR before him being on the 53 there might have been some negative impact?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Or was it something to do with the timing of placing Croom on IR? If they had placed him on IR before him being on the 53 there might have been some negative impact?

I'd thought about that - as far as I understand if Croom was sent to IR before the 53 he'd be ineligible for the year?

Is Croom even that important a player though - assuming all other TEs are healthy?

Coleman seemed too important a player throughout preseason too... Maybe they had inside knowledge that he wouldn't be claimed by anyone & would be safe to resign after the waiver wire mayhem?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Nevermind - there's a great article summarising all moves on The Athletic

Essentially Coleman was waiver exempt & the Bills had a handshake agreement to resign him immediately to the 53 once Croom was IRd. Coleman likely got another signing bonus for his trouble.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Nevermind - there's a great article summarising all moves on The Athletic

Essentially Coleman was waiver exempt & the Bills had a handshake agreement to resign him immediately to the 53 once Croom was IRd. Coleman likely got another signing bonus for his trouble.
Correct, multiple items went into this
1. Croom would have to pass through waivers (doubtful he would make it)
2. Waiting to put Croom on IR after cut down allows him to come back after 8 weeks
3. Coleman didn't have to pass through waivers
4. Coleman's salary is now not guaranteed

Reactions: Rowley Birkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad