Bills: 2019 Season Kicks off on September 8th @ NYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
They must be pretty damn high on Foster to cross WR off their board entirely. I just hope that he's been on the JUGS machine this offseason. He needs to eliminate a lot of the chest catches and get better at snatching the ball if he's going to be their #1. Although that seems pretty fixable.

Duke Williams has to be mentioned too, but they're not going to assume that he'll be good like they might with Foster.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
From what I understand this years draft did not have any top tier talent at the WR position. Several Wr 2-4, but no ODB, Julio, Brown, etc... in this draft.

Next year has a plethora of top end WR talent. At first I had an issue with them not taking a WR as it was a glaring need but after bringing in a few WR in FA and drafting 2 TE I don't have too much of an issue. We really needed a better OL and we completely revamped that front. I'm excited to see Allen have some time to scan the field along with the new weapons he has.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
It is the one position I don't quite trust there evaluation on.
Trading a 3rd for Benjamin, trading for Corey Coleman, and picking Zay Jones over Cooper Kupp just being a few examples.

From what I understand this years draft did not have any top tier talent at the WR position. Several Wr 2-4, but no ODB, Julio, Brown, etc... in this draft.

Next year has a plethora of top end WR talent. At first I had an issue with them not taking a WR as it was a glaring need but after bringing in a few WR in FA and drafting 2 TE I don't have too much of an issue. We really needed a better OL and we completely revamped that front. I'm excited to see Allen have some time to scan the field along with the new weapons he has.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Trading a 3rd for Benjamin, trading for Corey Coleman, and picking Zay Jones over Cooper Kupp just being a few examples.

A 3rd for Benjamin was fine at the time

Why not trade a 7th for a former first rounder to see what happens? Bills should make more deals like this. Pat's took a shot on him too after the Bills cut him.

No one at draft time had Kupp ranked over Jones.

None of those moves were bad moves.

Reactions: Dingo44

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
I do not like giving assets away and getting no return. They WERE bad moves in hindsight. Zay showed signs, Foster was a top 10 guy the last quarter of the season. Add in Brown, Beasley, and Williams and we will see but we had a bottom 3 corp last season so we will agree to disagree still until I see otherwise.

A 3rd for Benjamin was fine at the time

Why not trade a 7th for a former first rounder to see what happens? Bills should make more deals like this. Pat's took a shot on him too after the Bills cut him.

No one at draft time had Kupp ranked over Jones.

None of those moves were bad moves.

Last edited:

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Report: Patriots pay a Brady-owned company run by suspect partner

Questions linger over Tom Brady’s relationship with ‘body coach’

It's not an under the table situation.

And if it was a cap loophole, I bet other teams would have called them out on it.

Right, but once again it’s yet another example of the Patriots operating in a grey area, as they’ve become masterful at doing in order to create a competitive advantage. Maybe some people don’t care about the “spirit of the rules”, but the Pats exploit these sort of situations a lot more than any other team, and given their successes, fans and staff of other teams are going to resent them for it.

Reactions: Digable5 and JLewyB

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Right, but once again it’s yet another example of the Patriots operating in a grey area, as they’ve become masterful at doing in order to create a competitive advantage. Maybe some people don’t care about the “spirit of the rules”, but the Pats exploit these sort of situations a lot more than any other team, and given their successes, fans and staff of other teams are going to resent them for it.

If you've seen all the drama this has caused over the past year or so, fans of other teams should be happy about it.

And honestly, Brady's wife's money far outweighs whatever money that the Pats funnel to Brady via TB12.

She made over $30M in 2016 and "only" $17M in 2017.

One article I found estimates her net worth at $400M and Brady's at $180M.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
If you've seen all the drama this has caused over the past year or so, fans of other teams should be happy about it.

And honestly, Brady's wife's money far outweighs whatever money that the Pats funnel to Brady via TB12.

She made over $30M in 2016 and "only" $17M in 2017.

One article I found estimates her net worth at $400M and Brady's at $180M.

Other teams fans shouldn't be happy with it. Look what happened to the Skins and Cowboys for salary cap evasion.

Also, money is money. High net worth, low net worth, you want to maximize any money you can get.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Other teams fans shouldn't be happy with it. Look what happened to the Skins and Cowboys for salary cap evasion.

Also, money is money. High net worth, low net worth, you want to maximize any money you can get.

Not if you want to win in a salary cap league.

Just ask Stamkos.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Have the Bills built a roster that’s ready to compete in the AFC?

ianetjtpdrtnwchy592m.jpg

The 2019 NFL regular season still sits four months away on the calendar, but what has happened to Buffalo’s roster this offseason has dramatically transformed the talent level and addressed several deficiencies that previously existed on the squad.

So where do all the changes leave the Bills on the AFC landscape?

Below we’ve compiled the thoughts of national analysts on the Bills prospects, the sentiment from the Bills brass on the 2019 outlook, while also sprinkling in some of our own analysis for what the 2019 season could hold for Sean McDermott’s team.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
And even if the Bills sign Ansah a pass rushing DE is a huge need..Murphy is not good and injury prone, Hughes is 31 and may not be here much longer and Lawsons 5th year option was not picked up. For the post wondering why I would want to draft a DE early next year even after signing Ansah well here's your answer. We have a horrid pass rush and need talent at the end. We haven't had a top notch pass rusher besides Hughes since Mario, and Aaron Schobel before him. We need that pass rusher who can wreck havoc and rack up 12+ sacks a year.

Hughes, Murphy, Lawson, Harrold & possibly Ansah. That is great depth at the position.

If Hughes, Lawson both leave, Harrold doesn't work out & Ansah doesn't sign with the Bills then it becomes a positional need. But that would mean a lot of things happening against the Bills & poor asset management.

For example - I expect its far more likely that the group of WRs don't all work out & that position becomes an obvious need. TE is another obvious area of need too.

Apart from Allen they haven't used a round 1 pick on offence for ages.

As said in previous post I don't believe Allen will do anything without big time talent around him. The stuff towards the end of last year where he is running all the time isn't sustainable. He's going to have to throw the ball. He needs all the help he can get. McBeane did a magnificent job rebuilding the OL to protect him - now give him some real talent to throw to.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
So someone on Two Bills dr message board looked at that list. It's the list of team needs and ranked in importance .

Apparently for the Bills it is:

1. DT
2. DE
3. TE
4. RB
5. OLB
6. OC
7. OT

If what he is seeing is correct it tells us multiple things . We already know they wanted Oliver badly.

The fact OT was at 7 and we moved up for Ford? It means we had a high ranking on him and he was clear BPA.

DT at 2 this year and we didn't really solve that with a late pick means DE is probably #1 next year .

DB not listed shows we are very happy with our current group .

RB at 4? Even with knowing Shady, Gore and Yeldon already in the room? No question it means both Shady and Gore aren't here after this season likely.

TE at 3. Is Knox the answer? Clearly they don't view Kroft as the answer long term. Could mean we are in play for a TE high next yesr too. A couple of good ones are projected in round 1.

Most importantly WR isn't listed. It meana all the "insiders" who said we were targeting a WR were horribly wrong.

Looking at the depth chart I could see a reason why.

We just added Beasley and Brown. Maybe the organization wants to know more about if Zay Jones and Foster if they are legit or if we need to move on from them. There are only so many spots available .

Beasley , Brown, Foster and Zay look like they have the top 4 spots secured at the moment . Then add in our new KR taking a spot leaves one spot left from Duke, Ray , ray and all the rest of the fringe guys. So really a high pick at WR might have had trouble seeing regular snaps.

If Jones and Foster don't develop and or Beasley or Brown don't make the impact they should , maybe next year WR becomes one of the Bills top needs.

Thanks for posting - that screen shot was still blurry....

That list worries me a bit tbh. I expect this D to be far better than the O moving forward.

They need to surround Allen with talent if he has any chance of succeeding IMO.

I hate how DE is #1 on that list & would hate another high pick being used on the DL when the O still needs obvious upgrades.. I don't think a even the best D in the league can win unless the O is up there as well...

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
True, and I fear this too. Hell, Beane hasn't shown he can put a competant offense on the field, either. I was very worried about his ability to build an offense. That being said, this offseason has me a lot more optimistic. He filled a lot of holes with some solid players.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Thanks for posting - that screen shot was still blurry....

That list worries me a bit tbh. I expect this D to be far better than the O moving forward.

They need to surround Allen with talent if he has any chance of succeeding IMO.

I hate how DE is #1 on that list & would hate another high pick being used on the DL when the O still needs obvious upgrades.. I don't think a even the best D in the league can win unless the O is up there as well...

If you go just by unfilled needs from this year's draft then the top-2 for next year are DE and CB. This year is going to be pretty important for evaluating the WRs currently here, though. If any of the flop the WR need will go up. Especially Zay or Foster.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
tza3iy9xnwgoto8rdtyx.jpg

8 intriguing observations on the Bills roster after the draft and free agency

When Pro Football Hall of Fame Coach Bill Parcells analyzed his roster he used to talk about groceries.

“If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries,” he said, looking for more authority over his roster make-up.

The 2019 Buffalo Bills look like they’re finished shopping for groceries, with 81 players on the roster and eight-nine more to be added as undrafted free agents. The job now—unpack the groceries, line them up in the pantry. And then figure out which ingredients go where, in the makeup of the final 53-man roster.

What follows is a position-by-position breakdown of the Bills roster this spring, with some of the new groceries added, some of the returning ingredients, and analysis of which position groups might be the most intriguing to follow through the offseason workouts in the next few months:

1. How long will it take to determine the starters along the offensive line?
2. A variety of different styles to choose from at the wide receiver position
3. New faces dominate the tight end group
4. Will the Bills find the right mix of youth and experience at running back?
5. No competition this offseason, Josh Allen enters 2019 as the unquestioned starter.
6. Ed Oliver adds a jolt of youthful energy to the defensive line room
7. Tremaine Edmunds will lead this returning group of starting linebackers
8. Who will win the second cornerback spot?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Re the OL - it now seems pretty clear that Dawkins / Ford are locked in as starting tackles (at least until one of them loses the job) with Morse obviously starting C.

The starting guard positions really do seem up in the air though.

Dawkins-X-Morse-Y-Ford

Will also be interesting to see how many backups they keep around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->