Bill Peters Appreciation Thread

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I am eating crow. I thought he would GG part two. I wanted Sutter
I too wanted Sutter, but Sutter hockey would be terrible and boring compared to what we're getting this year. Bring on the Crow feast- not that I want to lose but this style of play is just so pleasing compared to what we have had the last few years that I am no longer physically ill with rage when we do lose a game.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
While I don't think it's really fully because of him, but our 2nd PP unit is actually scoring goals since he was put there.

Yeah, every goal PP2 has scored Ryan has collected a point on. I was sceptical too at first but he's pulling his weight.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
In Carolina there is different coach this season and the same problems scoring. You can have the best CORSI in the NHL but if you don't have the skilled guys to score you have nothing. The Hurricanes are woefully short on finishers. Ferland is doing great but if he were in Calgary today he would slot in on the 3rd or 4th line. We LOVE Ferly but the reality is there are more skilled players in the top 6 maybe even the top 9.
Carolina’s awful shooting luck is far from sustainable, especially with the type of chances they get

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Yeah, every goal PP2 has scored Ryan has collected a point on. I was sceptical too at first but he's pulling his weight.
Plus Ryan had a PP goal called back, as did Bennet on one where Ryan got him a puck. So he's 3/3 on their goals, and would have had another 2 points (1g 1a) that were on waived off goals.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Carolina’s awful shooting luck is far from sustainable, especially with the type of chances they get
They do this every year though. They've been the up and coming team who's dominating advanced stats for like 5 years, until they actually start scoring they're a mid pack team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

This is year 5 of it. Essentially they have low shooting percentages, because their team is not offensively talented.

If you could, without looking online, name 5 of 9 of their bottom 9 forwards. I can guarantee outside of Canes fans not many people would actually be able to name that or more. I mean, when Martinook, McGinn, McLovin and Wallmark are all playing middle 6 minutes for a team; that team isn't built to be offensively talented. Those guys are all depth players on a good team.

Carolinas main issue is they still have terrible goaltending.

Above. I honestly think their goaltending is awful, but they do no favours in what they put around it. A team averaging 40 shots a game shouldn't be bottom 5 in scoring.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On top of goaltending, what's hurt the Canes a lot is that Svech and Hamilton haven't quite taken off offensively. They're kind of where Calgary was last season, where if Aho (Gaudreau) isn't getting on the scoresheet, then the team will likely not win

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This is year 5 of it. Essentially they have low shooting percentages, because their team is not offensively talented.

If you could, without looking online, name 5 of 9 of their bottom 9 forwards. I can guarantee outside of Canes fans not many people would actually be able to name that or more. I mean, when Martinook, McGinn, McLovin and Wallmark are all playing middle 6 minutes for a team; that team isn't built to be offensively talented. Those guys are all depth players on a good team.

Above. I honestly think their goaltending is awful, but they do no favours in what they put around it. A team averaging 40 shots a game shouldn't be bottom 5 in scoring.
Martinook Wallmark and McGinn are mostly playing bottom 6...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Canes have Aho, Svech (an 18 year old rookie), and Teuvo. I wouldn't really say the Canes have that much talent up front. I didn't add Ferland because he is a product of good linemates, he wouldn't put up near the numbers he did away from elite talent. On a playoff team he is a 3rd liner, not 1st.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Wait, wait, WAIT!!! Is there actually a player called McLovin?! Seriously??!!!

EDIT: Google really made me be disappointed, quality nickname though.

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
A- Has taken him too long to realize that Smith is finished. Hopefully this won't backfire.

B- He still hasn't realized that Neal is finished too (sit his ass and play Czarnik).

Other than that- no complaints.
Neal has had lots of Joescores in his career.
Any player that has seen success will run into the fans crying to get rid of him.
Like Smith , Neal probably has run into hundreds of experts who said he would never get drafted, never make the NHL , not physical enough ,.... can't , can't can't ... meanwhile at the end of the year the coach , manager , team mates end up praising his role getting them deep into the playoffs . Gary Roberts says he has never trained a kid so dedicated, but what would he know.
Keep the negative on Neal going Joescores he is one of those rare guys that thrive on it.
Followed his career when he played in Dallas, would love to have him here for the playoffs even if he doesn't score 25 goals which he has averaged over the ten years.
Few guys/fans would get mad at him in Dallas and Pittsburgh , girl friends were following him a little too close we found out later...

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Ryan Leslie “kinda a rough day for your face”

Bill Peters “everyday is a rough day for my face, 365”
That interview was great. Also how Hamonic got him in the face a few years ago when he was with the Isles.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The biggest thing that I can appreciate about Peters is that he doesn't let his ego get in the way of his player personnel decisions and tactics. His system works arounds the strengths of his players and it's why pretty much every player on the team looks good right now.

How many fanbases around the league complain about their coach's pets and rigid system? With him, it's a total meritocracy and constant fine-tuning after losses to address specific issues -- pretty much all that Flames fans have been asking for

I had argued that GG wasn't as bad as many posters made him out to be. IMO, I still stand by my comment that he's in the same vein and superior to Torts. However, GG will continue to fine tune his system until he has success. Expect him to be around for a while.

I had also mentioned in the past that we needed someone who was somewhere in between Gully and Hartley. A guy who played the strengths of his roster, but also someone who had a strong system in place. Peters was mentioned to be a perfect medium between the two taking the desired attributes of Hartley as well as the desired attributes of Gully. I was hesitant to believe that Peters was that perfect of a fit, but damn. Peters has indeed been showing some of the best attributes of the Hartley lunch pail group as well as a strong system which was the main reason for Hartley's downfall. Furthermore, Peter's isn't as rigid in his system to my eyes, which is why we will see opportune flashes of personality within the system. That, and the players look like they're having fun. They're loose and laughing, defensively responsible, but willing to be creative. For instance, the stretch pass is effective, but not overused to the point it can easily be predicted. There's also a bit of scoring by committee so teams can't merely shut down a single player or two and hold us down. Heck, to give Gully credit, we've even seen insane flashes of possession that look like Gully's system as well as the skills that Jagr taught the kids. All of these different skill sets are looking to be integrating harmoniously into Peter's system. That's awesome.

But it took a little bit of time. We started the season really rough. Good on Peters for working hard at blending those lines, kicking butt, but also working with the team to develop. I feel like the rough start was partially due to old habits from the previous system trickling through, but it seems like the team is really getting the hang of his system now and starting to build upon it as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
The one reason I will defend Peters forever; he doesn't keep trying the same thing over and over if it's not working. His willingness to shake things up will buy years of goodwill. After decades of suck I can handle suck, what I can't handle is doing the same thing for months on end when it's clearly not working. F you Gulutzan, F you man... you too Brent Sutter. A monkey would have done better than those 2 rubes.

If you ever hear the term "closed door meeting" you may as well just burn your jerseys and quit hockey.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The one reason I will defend Peters forever; he doesn't keep trying the same thing over and over if it's not working. His willingness to shake things up will buy years of goodwill. After decades of suck I can handle suck, what I can't handle is doing the same thing for months on end when it's clearly not working. F you Gulutzan, F you man... you too Brent Sutter. A monkey would have done better than those 2 rubes.

If you ever hear the term "closed door meeting" you may as well just burn your jerseys and quit hockey.
Preach!!!

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Neal has had lots of Joescores in his career.
Any player that has seen success will run into the fans crying to get rid of him.
Like Smith , Neal probably has run into hundreds of experts who said he would never get drafted, never make the NHL , not physical enough ,.... can't , can't can't ... meanwhile at the end of the year the coach , manager , team mates end up praising his role getting them deep into the playoffs . Gary Roberts says he has never trained a kid so dedicated, but what would he know.
Keep the negative on Neal going Joescores he is one of those rare guys that thrive on it.
Followed his career when he played in Dallas, would love to have him here for the playoffs even if he doesn't score 25 goals which he has averaged over the ten years.
Few guys/fans would get mad at him in Dallas and Pittsburgh , girl friends were following him a little too close we found out later...
Not good enough and not worth the tag BUT cheers James.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

giphy.gif

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Jack Adams is lurking around the house. I mean, lets support him and his approach . I think he has done great so far. Cheers Bill

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
There's already a Bill Peters Appreciation Thread, this should probably be moved there.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
If the Rags keep it up, David Quinn is gonna get the Jack Adams pretty readily.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
If the Rags keep it up, David Quinn is gonna get the Jack Adams pretty readily.

Not sure how you figure that at all. They're holding down the 2nd wild card spot having played more games than every team below them except 1.

Not to mention even their extremely mediocre play is unsustainable as they're one of the worst teams in the NHL by basically every measure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad