Bill Peters Appreciation Thread

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah you can really see why he’s respected in hockey circles. Hard to disagree with any of his usages/lines so far.

4 years ago, the guy was considered the next big coach in the NHL.
They gave him a bad Carolina team that he marginally improved year over year, with really some horrible talent (first line centre J. Staal for example).

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's becoming clear that a lot of the criticisms Carolina fans had were more the result of Peters trying to do the best with what he had rather than inherent faults.

With stable goaltending, actual depth and capable finishers, the system seems to be working.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The only thing I think Peters can be knocked for to this point is his handling of the Smith/Rittich debacle... that said, things seem to have (for now, at least) sorted themselves out.

Peters has the team playing the best they have in years. The offense is running full throttle lately and the goals against have come way down. He's also not afraid to adapt and make changes on the fly. It's only a matter of time before someone like Neal breaks out of his slump and then I fully expect this team to take off.

There's a very small part of me that is kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. Not sure if that's just due to years of expectations not being met or whatnot. In any case, this Flames team is really fun to watch and I hope the success continues. If they stay up near the top of the standings for the majority of this season, I don't see why they can't be considered Cup contenders.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That’s good. Luckily he seems to have realized Derek Ryan isn’t a 2c.

I suspect it's more that he finally has a roster where he can slot guys where they belong. For the most part anyway.

Nothing against Carolina but the talent up front is simply not there for them. It's similar to Gulutzan here last year; no Hathaway didn't belong on the third line but there weren't exactly a plethora of other options.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Aho and Staal. Carolina has centers.

And then holes everywhere else, I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you. Your argument is flawed, he uses players just fine. When you have a CAR team that was very thin on talent, it's easy to see why he played Ryan all over the place.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And then holes everywhere else, I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you. Your argument is flawed, he uses players just fine. When you have a CAR team that was very thin on talent, it's easy to see why he played Ryan all over the place.
If by “all over the place” you mean “glued to skinner”

Carolina is not a team thin on talent. Idk why everyone keeps on underrating the canes. Sigh.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Carolina is not a team thin on talent. Idk why everyone keeps on underrating the canes. Sigh.

I'm not underrating them, but go ahead and compare their talent and depth with the flames...It's easy to see why he put Ryan where he did. Guess where Ryan is playing now? 3rd line or 4th line, a bit of PK, and a little PP. Same player, different team, completely different usage.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The biggest thing that I can appreciate about Peters is that he doesn't let his ego get in the way of his player personnel decisions and tactics. His system works arounds the strengths of his players and it's why pretty much every player on the team looks good right now.

How many fanbases around the league complain about their coach's pets and rigid system? With him, it's a total meritocracy and constant fine-tuning after losses to address specific issues -- pretty much all that Flames fans have been asking for

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Almost like a hurricane or something.
13749616547229.gif

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

In Carolina there is different coach this season and the same problems scoring. You can have the best CORSI in the NHL but if you don't have the skilled guys to score you have nothing. The Hurricanes are woefully short on finishers. Ferland is doing great but if he were in Calgary today he would slot in on the 3rd or 4th line. We LOVE Ferly but the reality is there are more skilled players in the top 6 maybe even the top 9.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Bond

May 10, 2012
I am eating crow. I thought he would GG part two. I wanted Sutter

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Oh come on. Even Canes fans will admit that they don't have a lot of talent/ depth with regards to forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->