Bill Peters Appreciation Thread

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty happy for the most part with what I've seen from the team. Peters has these guys playing to win. Not totally without complaint, but I don't see how you can lay Mike Smith taking a dump all over the crease at his door.

Love how the defense is activating, Flames are making it hard on teams in the neutral zone and in their own. Playing with much more tempo to their game. Just wish they could do it for the full 60 more often.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Huge improvement over GG. I was skeptical when the hiring was first announced as I thought he was going to be GG Mk II. I was wrong.
He has the team playing with passion, they no longer fold under pressure, and the defense is once again an effective component of the offense.
Loving each d pairing. Brodano is back. Hamifin is solid. Valisson is getting better each and every game.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We have 6 third period comebacks inside 20 games. I don't know what he says, but he gets the team fighting and believing in themselves

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Too early for this thread. I have to see what he does with the goalie situation first. If Smith gets the next start then he has learned nothing.

Rittich has to be the #1 at this point. Smith let's in one of the worst goals of all time against Montreal, which won them the game; whereas Rittich stones 3 breakaways to keep his team in the game and eventually winning it.

Like it shouldn't even be a question, one guy loses you a game, one guy is making multiple breakaway saves a game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He’s good

Best coach we've had for a long while.
Dude takes no shit, also isn't afraid to throw officiating under the bus. Brings out the blender. Rides lines that work, but isn't scared of breaking them apart once they slow down.

Really my only dislike so far has been Czarnik sitting out so much. Everything else, I couldn't be happier with.

Really good coach for us so far. There's a reason this guy was being pegged as the 'next' big coach in the NHL a few seasons back.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Best coach we've had for a long while.
Dude takes no ****, also isn't afraid to throw officiating under the bus. Brings out the blender. Rides lines that work, but isn't scared of breaking them apart once they slow down.

Really my only dislike so far has been Czarnik sitting out so much. Everything else, I couldn't be happier with.

Really good coach for us so far. There's a reason this guy was being pegged as the 'next' big coach in the NHL a few seasons back.

And starting Smith so often.

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
After being burned with GG, I'm hesitant now to give praise to a coach after 20 games. That being said, he's doing a lot of good things so far.

Now, if he could get Ryan off of PP2 and give the reins to Rittich, that'd be great.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We need smith to turn it around. He’s doing what needs to be done. You give your number one as much runway as you can.

To an extent sure. But when he's legitimately costing you points in the standings, is at the end of his career, vs finding out what we have in a 26 year old goalie who has been playing fantastic, Smith got too much runway at the wrong time.

By this logic, we shouldn't have played Johnson so much and saved our season when Elliot was playing like trash.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
A- Has taken him too long to realize that Smith is finished. Hopefully this won't backfire.

B- He still hasn't realized that Neal is finished too (sit his ass and play Czarnik).

Other than that- no complaints.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
A- Has taken him too long to realize that Smith is finished. Hopefully this won't backfire.

In his defense, Smith was our best player for 58 minutes against the Sharks. I can see his rationale even if I disagree.

B- He still hasn't realized that Neal is finished too (sit his ass and play Czarnik).

Neal was excellent last game. Got the old "Sam Bennett assist" on Ryan's powerplay goal and peppered Koskinen with shots in the third as part of our most dominant line. He doesn't look done, though it's been difficult to fit him in.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
In his defense, Smith was our best player for 58 minutes against the Sharks. I can see his rationale even if I disagree.

Neal was excellent last game. Got the old "Sam Bennett assist" on Ryan's powerplay goal and peppered Koskinen with shots in the third as part of our most dominant line. He doesn't look done, though it's been difficult to fit him in.
I don't care about Smith as long as he is not in the net. I care about winning and Rittich is the platform to allow that.

Neal is done. No need to sugar-coat this guy. A bad, bad signing. A nightmare. He will end up with 27 points or in that bracket. A farce if you like. No wheels, no steam behind his shots, no precision in his aim. I don't think he has finished a season with no injury in his career so that's very possible too (not that I wish that).

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
As long as he keeps Smith on the bench, he's definitely looking good at this point. Just ride the hot goalie and don't second guess it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I agree. Neal has gotten better lately. Maybe not 100% grade A chances, but he's getting them.

I think Neal is going to be a piece we truly appreciate having around if one of our top six guys goes down for an extended stretch due to injury.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I agree. Neal has gotten better lately. Maybe not 100% grade A chances, but he's getting them.

I think Neal is going to be a piece we truly appreciate having around if one of our top six guys goes down for an extended stretch due to injury.

He'll keep getting better, book it. He's a vet who I completely expected to start slow, but I bet his finishing prowess will start to show as he gets more comfortable. Nothing to get excited about yet, but he looked solid last game. Keep him with those guys for now and see if they can get even better as a line.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To an extent sure. But when he's legitimately costing you points in the standings, is at the end of his career, vs finding out what we have in a 26 year old goalie who has been playing fantastic, Smith got too much runway at the wrong time.

By this logic, we shouldn't have played Johnson so much and saved our season when Elliot was playing like trash.

I'd agree, but Smith sprinkles in a good game; and you want to see if he can run with it.
His last lost, it doesn't take a Bowman type hockey mind to start the hot hand coming off a heckuva performance.

But Peters is doing the right thing by having Rittich in net. If Flames want to make some noise in this league they needed one of two things:
1) Mike Smith to find his touch
2) Rittich to emerge as a starting level goaltender.

Peters hedged his bets on the guy who was our MVP 50 games into last season. Don't be too scared of Smith getting a bunch of starts later this season, because they'll give him a look again this year.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I'd agree, but Smith sprinkles in a good game; and you want to see if he can run with it.
His last lost, it doesn't take a Bowman type hockey mind to start the hot hand coming off a heckuva performance.

But Peters is doing the right thing by having Rittich in net. If Flames want to make some noise in this league they needed one of two things:
1) Mike Smith to find his touch
2) Rittich to emerge as a starting level goaltender.

Peters hedged his bets on the guy who was our MVP 50 games into last season. Don't be too scared of Smith getting a bunch of starts later this season, because they'll give him a look again this year.
I do like you man but when was the last time when Smith had a good game? V Sharks v Boston and? I mean come on, he reminds me of Roloson when he was at the end of his career. He won't find his touch in consecutive games- book it. BTW your point 2 should be written in present perfect.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do like you man but when was the last time when Smith had a good game? V Sharks v Boston and? I mean come on, he reminds me of Roloson when he was at the end of his career. He won't find his touch in consecutive games- book it. BTW your point 2 should be written in present perfect.

He was good in SJ, to be fair. The rest of the team stunk.
You had to give him another start to see if he could keep it rolling in MTL. Instead he shit the bed, and that's why he'll be riding pine for a while.

Reactions: joescores

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
There isn't much I dislike about the guy or system right now, I mean the powerplay is still dog shit half the time, but not everyone is perfect.

Like I said though, we'll see how he handles the goalies. If Rittich keeps play well I don't want Smith playing at all unless it's back-to-back or after 6-7 games in a row from Rittich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad