Bill Peters Appreciation Thread

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
You also have to realize that when Smith was on his game last year, he was arguably the best goalie in the league for a stretch. Now I'm not advocating for hope over logic, he should be sat, but I also do not believe we won't see him again soon. A hot Mike Smith makes us one of the best teams in the west. If Rittich can take his play to that level, so be it. Either way Mike Smith was elite for a stretch last year. I'm sure nobody would complain if we got that sometime this season.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
We need smith to turn it around. He’s doing what needs to be done. You give your number one as much runway as you can.
Sorry I disagree. If Smith was signed to a multi year contract I might feel different but he isn't.
As far as I'm concerned this is Smith and we're just waiting for the cleanup crew to arrive to remove the wreckage.

airplane on fire.jpg

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
Huge improvement over GG. I was skeptical when the hiring was first announced as I thought he was going to be GG Mk II. I was wrong.
He has the team playing with passion, they no longer fold under pressure, and the defense is once again an effective component of the offense.
Loving each d pairing. Brodano is back. Hamifin is solid. Valisson is getting better each and every game.
Who would have thought mixing a Swede with a Finn, rookies no less, would produce "caviar"?
History has shown most likely semi-rotted 'raw cod' from a Finn & a Swede. Or a staple but boring, bland mix.
Keep it up Vali-Anders-maki-son, or more appropriately, "Valisson". Great potential an d curent play.++++

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
Sorry I disagree. If Smith was signed to a multi year contract I might feel different but he isn't.
As far as I'm concerned this is Smith and we're just waiting for the cleanup crew to arrive to remove the wreckage.

View attachment 156153
What??? More like W-T-Eff'? You like to crash & burn, man? Keep playing Smith+Keep Nose-diving with an inevitable CRASH. Ha, ha, ha... I bet YYC emergency clean-up crew is on speed-dial to the Saddledome, when Smith is playing!

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
You also have to realize that when Smith was on his game last year, he was arguably the best goalie in the league for a stretch. Now I'm not advocating for hope over logic, he should be sat, but I also do not believe we won't see him again soon. A hot Mike Smith makes us one of the best teams in the west. If Rittich can take his play to that level, so be it. Either way Mike Smith was elite for a stretch last year. I'm sure nobody would complain if we got that sometime this season.

Yes, a hot Mike Smith, meaning playing above himself and making lights-out saves game-after-game along with the regular easy ones, which he isn't even doing that currently, would be fantastic. I just don't think we can ignore the present funkness and keep losing steadily when he is in the net, but expect a different result. Team is winning in front of Rittich. Keep playing the winning combination, right!
Not wanting to dish on MikeSmith but...the eye-test, results, reality are what-they-are.
Insanity is doing the same action over again, expecting a different outcome when one is not happening without changing the action!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What??? More like W-T-Eff'? You like to crash & burn, man? Keep playing Smith+Keep Nose-diving with an inevitable CRASH. Ha, ha, ha... I bet YYC emergency clean-up crew is on speed-dial to the Saddledome, when Smith is playing!
Not quite sure I understand your post. As far as I'm concerned Smith has run out of runway, has totally crashed, and is now a burning wreck just waiting for the cleanup crew to arrive to remove the wreckage. Nothing left to salvage.

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018

Would love to see MS hit that level again. For sure. But how long do you hang onto a "wish" before all hope of success is pretty much gone, and then so is the season for playoff potential? After the new year plying the same regimen as first 20 games will be too late most likely. And could decimate any current confidence and progression and sense-of-pride amongst teammates going forward. Ride the hot-hand for a while (Rittich in at least 5of6 or more) and see if things don't progress, then re-evaluate and react then. Just saying, great teams and coaches respond to best-opportunity-to-win scenarios, until proven wrong. Smith in the nets has proven a losing scenario!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Can Smith be waived to Stockton? I know he has a modified NTC contract but as far as I can see I think his contract will allow a move to Stockton?

Can someone get back to me on this??

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
Not quite sure I understand your post. As far as I'm concerned Smith has run out of runway, has totally crashed, and is now a burning wreck just waiting for the cleanup crew to arrive to remove the wreckage. Nothing left to salvage.
Sorry for confusion reaction. Was referring to the poster saying Smith was so great last year and deserves a chance to turn it around. I like your image of the crashed nose-dive burning up is bang-on to where Flames could be headed keeping playing Mike Smith more often than not.
I meant my questioning of liking to crash and burn to Volicas comment that you responded to with the crashed burning plane! Just as you did but yours' much more effectively with the pic' and less 'babble'. Good job!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Have deleted my post as it was off topic from the Peters discussion. Will repost in the GM thread where it belongs.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Can Smith be waived to Stockton? I know he has a modified NTC contract but as far as I can see I think his contract will allow a move to Stockton?

Can someone get back to me on this??
Yes. He would need to clear waivers (a few teams might gamble) and if he clears and is assigned, the Flames would be on the hook for all but $925k (or whatever the number is now) of his salary.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It'll happen. Seriously all goalies have bad stretches, Holtby was awful for most of last year. I also remember a time when Luongo was said to be completely washed up, while he was playing in Vancouver!

You should call Jonas Hiller

When you are 37, It may just be the beginning of the end.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Another great game for Bill. 29 points in 24 games. At the current rate the Flames will end the season with 99 pts.... although if they keep playing like they have since the 9-1 disaster against the Pens, it should be even higher than that.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Peters is going to get us the SC again. He just knows what it takes when he has the talent to do it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah you can really see why he’s respected in hockey circles. Hard to disagree with any of his usages/lines so far.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I love the last jab at the end there. "Would you wear a cage?" :laugh:

Honestly, though, I don't envy him right now having to wake up with that thing on his face. It's probably going to hurt like hell to eat tomorrow.
Oh ya.. he's probably gonna have a tough time talking for a couple of days and its probably throbbing like hell right now.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
At first I was unsure about Peters. Commentary often centred around his system being similar to Gulutzan so that the transition would be seamless. I recognize that Peters has a new and improved roster to coach, but I think his system is way more imaginative than Gully's and he obviously handles the players better. They're having fun out there and there aren't any bruised egos even if Peters sits someone for a while. Add to that the improved special teams play thanks to the other new coaches and you can see the reasons for our success.

We haven't hit a long period of adversity yet which is often a litmus test for a team. I suspect Peters and the team would emerge out of that all the stronger for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad