Bill Peters Allegations - Update: Story corroborated, possible assault. (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Unless it comes out that Treliving somehow knew about this and hired Peters anyway - in which case I would still be on Flames' fans side of being angry at management.

The Peters thing seems like an open secret. Treliving should at least be forced to answer some difficult questions. If he doesn't have adequate answers then he can follow Peters out the door.

Was the hockey world collectively looking the other way until this moment? Yeah, probably. But the veil has been lifted.

Reactions: Cloned

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I know I can be a dick at times, And yes I grew up in Calgary, but I truly mean this .. I stand behind you guys 100% and hope for the best...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Peters thing seems like an open secret. Treliving should at least be forced to answer some difficult questions. If he doesn't have adequate answers then he can follow Peters out the door.

Was the hockey world collectively looking the other way until this moment? Yeah, probably. But the veil has been lifted.

If that's true, then Treliving, Peters and Babcock are basically going to have to answer for the failure of the entire hockey community as a whole. Which, given what each of these men may have done/not done, isn't actually as unfair as it might seem at first.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

What difficult questions are you posing to him? I’d guarantee he didn’t know about Bill’s treatment of players in Carolina. 0% chance he sweeps that under the rug. Other than that, I can’t see him knowing anything else

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm angry about all of this. Like, really freaking angry.

And about some of the other comments about Treliving... The Flames are a classy org. No way in hell do they do something like that. The org has often tried to develop players into solid and good people even prior to Treliving. With Treliving on board, he has worked hard to develop support options for players with addictions, mental illness etc. and none of this was mandated. He took the initiative. No freaking way he hired Peters knowing this.

But if he seriously did, I'd just be straight up livid and confused as hell.

On another note. Huge thanks to the mods. This can't be an easy situation with you guys having to moderate us while also moderating your own emotions. I just want to know that your efforts are recognized. Also, sorry for the obscene gif from earlier.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I do want to mention that there's also the possibility that the Flames management started realizing odd situations once they hired Peters and the guy got comfortable to get nasty. I am assuming when Treliving met him, he was a pure pro for Team Canada. I can easily believe that management knew that a possible growing rift between team and coach was building, but I can also believe that they didn't know the extent of what Peters was doing to cause that possible rift.

Seriously, if someone told you 7 days ago, "Bill Peters physically beats his players and yells nasty things at them, including racial slurs." You'd probably be thrown out of the room for lying, and on HF, easily, you'd have your post deleted for some form of infraction for unverifiable slander, no? Some people aren't being realistic and suddenly acting on hindsight and being like, "Obviously it was so obviously obvious."

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I do want to mention that there's also the possibility that the Flames management started realizing odd situations once they hired Peters and the guy got comfortable to get nasty. I am assuming when Treliving met him, he was a pure pro for Team Canada. I can easily believe that management knew that a possible growing rift between team and coach was building, but I can also believe that they didn't know the extent of what Peters was doing to cause that possible rift.

Seriously, if someone told you 7 days ago, "Bill Peters physically beats his players and yells nasty things at them, including racial slurs." You'd probably be thrown out of the room for lying, and on HF, easily, you'd have your post deleted for some form of infraction for unverifiable slander, no? Some people aren't being realistic and suddenly acting on hindsight and being like, "Obviously it was so obviously obvious."

The players pretty much to a man claimed to never have seen any of this kind of behaviour from him. In fact, now that I think about it, Ryan saying that would kind of go against Jordan's testament.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The players pretty much to a man claimed to never have seen any of this kind of behaviour from him. In fact, now that I think about it, Ryan saying that would kind of go against Jordan's testament.

I watched those interviews and I agree. I am merely saying that if management was aware of a rift and this was happening, they probably wouldn’t have considered the extent of these rumours as a remote possibility if someone didn’t say anything specific.

Yes, I spoke of atonement in my earlier post in this thread, but if he indeed was both verbally abusive and physically abusive with the players, even if he's not doing that here, I am not sure I want any part of him here. That's not normal. That's Patrick O'Sullivan's dad next level crap if true.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I watched those interviews and I agree. I am merely saying that if management was aware of a rift and this was happening, they probably wouldn’t have considered the extent of these rumours as a remote possibility if someone didn’t say anything specific.

Yes, I spoke of atonement in my earlier post in this thread, but if he indeed was both verbally abusive and physically abusive with the players, even if he's not doing that here, I am not sure I want any part of him here. That's not normal. That's Patrick O'Sullivan's dad next level crap if true.

Yeah. The fact remains that whether he turned a corner and changed his behaviour or not, he clearly never did anything to mend the fence with those he'd hurt in the past, given they have come forward the way they have. So there is no real argument that he's a changed man, because part of the change would have to involve reconciliation and atonement for those things in the past.

Reactions: Janks and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah. The fact remains that whether he turned a corner and changed his behaviour or not, he clearly never did anything to mend the fence with those he'd hurt in the past, given they have come forward the way they have. So there is no real argument that he's a changed man, because part of the change would have to involve reconciliation and atonement for those things in the past.

There's that, and the Carolina stuff is way too recent. If true, this isn't some, "Oops I was dumb a long time ago." This would be only a handful of years ago and relatively recent. This would also perhaps hint of a time span of around half a decade minimum of this sort of thing.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I mean is Peters the same coach as he was 10 years ago? Not in the sense of systems but in disciplining, calling out, communicating with players? Just look at someone like Torts, which you’d assume because of his past style would be the next coach to the firing line. He’s not that coach today. Would the response different?

Not implying Peters should get sympathy, the racial stuff is unacceptable. But more speaking to the greater effect this could have.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Gonna say this as an Oilers fan who despises your team, and I hope you don't mind me intruding on your board (you may remember me from such previous things as "Oilers poster likes Flames posters' misery posts" ;)):

I don't think this reflects poorly on the Flames at all. I know we're on opposite sides of the BOA, but this is something I'm prepared to stand in your corner for. I'm not sure there was a reasonable way for Treliving to have sussed this out. Due diligence doesn't pick up every skeleton in the closet, especially if some were well-hidden and not prepared to see the light of day until something ELSE momentous happened (the Marner List/Babcock scandal). This extends to areas of society beyond hockey; once a movement starts, more people who were victims of similar incidents feel more empowered to speak up. We are going to see more of this stuff come out, and while it may reflect poorly on hockey culture as a whole, I'm not sure we can start singling out specific organizations for these failures. If the Flames failed here, then ALL of hockey, including the Oilers, failed.
Thank you kind thoughted-well spoken gentleman to the "north".
Congrats on your teams successes so far this year. Oilers are the better team so far. Good for Alberta Hockey! Yah, Peters will be punished for his "human blunders". Maybe fitting he is notguiding the Flames to much success and improved play this year! He is likely done behind the bench in Cow'town.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I mean is Peters the same coach as he was 10 years ago? Not in the sense of systems but in disciplining, calling out, communicating with players? Just look at someone like Torts, which you’d assume because of his past style would be the next coach to the firing line. He’s not that coach today. Would the response different?

Not implying Peters should get sympathy, the racial stuff is unacceptable. But more speaking to the greater effect this could have.

If there's reports from the Carolina tenure and 10 years ago, then Peters better have changed as a human in the last 2-3 seasons, not 10 years.

Furthermore, there's a huge gap between not getting along with a coach vs the reports of a large contingent of the Carolina roster going to Francis and complaining about Peters.

Reactions: tmurfin and Janks

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We have this information on Babcock:

So, I guess when it comes to Treliving you have to wonder if the players expressed concerns with Peters in their exit interviews that were waved away because "50 win season."

It's speculated that the exit interviews are what sealed Hartley's fate but it was just as likely that he was done in by a personal disagreement with Treliving on the team's playstyle and our puck possession.

Regardless, it's good that this information has come to light before we made a trade. Right now, I just hope the players have fun for the rest of the season and we re-evaluate in the offseason. Treliving has tough questions that need answering though

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We have this information on Babcock:

So, I guess when it comes to Treliving you have to wonder if the players expressed concerns with Peters in their exit interviews that were waved away because "50 win season."

It's speculated that the exit interviews are what sealed Hartley's fate but it was just as likely that he was done in by a personal disagreement with Treliving on the team's playstyle and our puck possession.

Regardless, it's good that this information has come to light before we made a trade. Right now, I just hope the players have fun for the rest of the season and we re-evaluate in the offseason. Treliving has tough questions that need answering though

We have zero evidence of any kind of abuse while with the Flames.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Today is likely judgement day for Bill Peters. Considering the corroboration, new allegations, and the overall frenzy of the day; safe to say he’s likely coached his last NHL gig.

this really sucks, just the situation. If someone was like ‘give me the worst way this season would go’ our coach being fired for abusing players and being racist wouldn’t have even hit the radar because it’s so off the wall.

hopefully a bit of life is rekindled on this team. We could use some stability and something positive on the ice.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We have zero evidence of any kind of abuse while with the Flames.
We have zero evidence with Peters because no one has stepped forward and can anyone blame them, as active players?

But we do know there were rumours swirling around about a divide between Peters and the players put forward by Friedman on the radio. And we've seen how their form completely nosedived after February.
I suspect this is something we won't definitively know for many years, if ever, but it's something Treliving needs to answer to internally at least.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
hopefully a bit of life is rekindled on this team. We could use some stability and something positive on the ice.
For what it's worth...

The boys seemed to be pretty loose and having a good enough time yesterday. Hopefully this rejuvenates them a bit. I do wonder what we'll see from them tonight in Buffalo.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan

Not sure that is a fair comparison. Torts has a potty mouth but I haven't seen anything about him being abusive or racist.

Hearing Ron Francis did nothing has shaken my faith in everyone in hockey.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Derek Ryan played 6 games in a season with Michael Jordan on the Hurricanes. Jordan played 36 that season. I'm not even sure they were ever on the team together.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
For what it's worth...

The boys seemed to be pretty loose and having a good enough time yesterday. Hopefully this rejuvenates them a bit. I do wonder what we'll see from them tonight in Buffalo.

They had a player’s coach with gulutzan and blew it.

This has to be last chancevile for this team. Regardless of them playing loose and having fun, if they can’t win then it really doesn’t matter in the end if they still suck.

Reactions: viper0220

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
They had a player’s coach with gulutzan and blew it.

This has to be last chancevile for this team. Regardless of them playing loose and having fun, if they can’t win then it really doesn’t matter in the end if they still suck.

Was Gulutzan labelled as a player’s coach? He never really struck me as one

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

On Michal Jordan’s accounts of physical altercations..

Also from yesterday

Props to people speaking out now, especially Brind’Amour, in the position he’s in. Goes to show how much of an open secret it actually was. At this point the dead horse is just getting battered, stick a fork in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad