Bill Peters Allegations - Update: Story corroborated, possible assault. (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
MOD WARNING #1
Alright,

If you people cannot keep to the topic at hand: that being the allegations against Peters specifically, you will be removed from the discussion. Only warning.

Continue
MOD WARNING #2
Any new allegations must be supported by a verifiable source (twitter link or news link), your cooperation is appreciated.

Edit: Comments by Sean McMorrow
Sean McMorrow on Twitter

https://www.tsn.ca/akim-aliu-speaks...lgary-flames-head-coach-bill-peters-1.1403974
Two of Aliu’s Rockford teammates who were in the room at the time of the alleged incident, Simon Pepin and Peter MacArthur, independently corroborated Aliu’s account to TSN on Tuesday.
"I think everyone should be held accountable for their actions or words spoken," Pepin said.
Aliu said Rockford team captain Jake Dowell later confronted Peters about the incident in the coach’s office. Dowell could not immediately be reached for comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
giphy.gif

Yikes

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Mike Keenan would never!

IMO, there's hard ass and then there's the mind game humiliation stuff. Jokinen's story mostly shows a hard ass type persona for Keenan that's mostly devoid of mind games but really freaking rough handling. But then there's the Marner story which just straight up sounds like it's something akin to hazing.

I have no idea where Hartley stood for this type of thing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I dunno. I find it a bit unlikely that a coach would risk his career by using language like that publicly. If that story is true, there would be nothing stopping Aliu from making a formal complaint and having Peters fired, and you would think he would given how serious of an incident that would be. There is no leniency on racist language in professional hockey. There would be plenty of witnesses to support him if it was done in the dressing room.

That said, there isn't really much reason for Aliu to make that up either.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I dunno. I find it a bit unlikely that a coach would risk his career by using language like that publicly. If that story is true, there would be nothing stopping Aliu from making a formal complaint and having Peters fired, and you would think he would given how serious of an incident that would be. There is no leniency on racist language in professional hockey. There would be plenty of witnesses to support him if it was done in the dressing room.

Well, not to say Aliu is making it up. We need more information to draw any type of conclusions.

However, motivation to do so isn’t hard to find. He said himself he holds Peters responsible for being sent to the ECHL in his rookie year as a pro, and you get the impression Aliu feels this negatively impacted his career. People have been slandered for less.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If this is true,

#1: It's sickening that a coach would use this kind of language in the first place
#2: It's just as disgusting that his teammates didn't do anything about it. Way to have his back

Peters'll have a chance to come clean to Treliving behind closed doors and if there's even a crumb of truth to these rumours he'll be fired. I think that even if they open an investigation, Peters will be placed on leave. There's been way too many distractions with the Flames this season

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
If this is true,

#1: It's sickening that a coach would use this kind of language in the first place
#2: It's just as disgusting that his teammates didn't do anything about it. Way to have his back

Peters'll have a chance to come clean to Treliving behind closed doors and if there's even a crumb of truth to these rumours he'll be fired. I think that even if they open an investigation, Peters will be placed on leave. There's been way too many distractions with the Flames this season
Agree, but I'd change coach to anyone in general.
If true, he should be relieved of his duties.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Again, why does Aliu wait until the Babcock firing to fire this shot? It's a huge issue that he and everyone else completely ignored for years if true.
I don't think it's the Babcock firing. It's the fact that Marner recently came out and confirmed rumours of Babcock acting like a dickhead. That kind of thing can empower many to step forward and tell their stories.

You could just as easily ask why reporters sat on those Leafs stories for years. It's a culture thing

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think it's the Babcock firing. It's the fact that Marner recently came out and confirmed rumours of Babcock acting like a ********. That kind of thing can empower many to step forward and tell their stories.

You could just as easily ask why reporters sat on those Leafs stories for years. It's a culture thing

I don't think the Marner thing is on the level of using the n-word.

Reactions: Rob Brown

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I mean you’d think if you ask a guy like Crawford who was on that team he’ll be able to give a clear answer

I get that a fringe guy might not want to stir the pot but he’s established and would have nothing to lose by telling the truth. Seems like a decent guy too

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
None of this surprises me, though all of it disappoints me. Peters' willingness to bury Kylington (zero PK, zero PP, buried for scrubs like Fantenberg or Stone, sent down for no reason earlier this year) makes that very clear.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think the Marner thing is on the level of using the n-word.
Well no, but by coming out with it now it also ensures the media and the powers that be take it seriously. As an isolated incident especially from a no-name journeyman player, this kind of thing could be easily swept under the rug. How many hazing/sexual assault allegations in junior leagues have we seen come and be forgotten in the blink of an eye?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well no, but by coming out with it now it also ensures the media and the powers that be take it seriously. As an isolated incident especially from a no-name journeyman player, this kind of thing could be easily swept under the rug. How many hazing/sexual assault allegations in junior leagues have we seen come and be forgotten in the blink of an eye?
John Vanbiesbrouck uttered the n-word to Trevor Daley and faced severe repercussions. That was in 2003. He ended up out of a job, and the team was leveled with a $50k fine.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

I could see it. Not that I'm saying it definitely happened, but perhaps Peters tried to use it in a joking manner. Sort of like "Turn down that Racial Slur music" or "Who's playing this Racial Slur music?" That's literally the only context where I could see Peters use it and not get into trouble immediately, as Aliu was young and probably didn't know how to handle that at the time.

It's unfortunate that this is surrounding the team right now, and I'm sure there is gonna be investigation opened to see if any teammates on the Icehogs could corroborate Aliu's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad