Bill Peters Allegations - Update: Story corroborated, possible assault. (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
God dammit I literally hate every single Canucks fan on this forum except for that one guy. He’s the nicest person I’ve ever encountered on this website. Make it stop
Wait until we meet in the playoffs, then we can have some nasty fun chirping back & forth. Of course Vancouver has to make it first......

To bring it back to the topic at hand, hopefully you guys get some closure with Peters today. It’s like the team is in a holding pattern and you couldn’t even really enjoy your win last night because this scandal is still unresolved.

Well, at least you won, Brodie is back in fine fashion and Rittich is still playing out of his mind. Again, hope you guys get to move on today. I’m guessing that Brad’s dept has been using this time to determine a few candidates.

Cheers

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Man do people suck these days. Everyone. The old white guys who can't understand what racism is now a days. The millennials that need blood anytime someone (usually not themselves) is offended by something. The people who defend the offenders. The people who call for the offender's head. It's all so extreme. Really hard to watch how society behaves these days. Nobody seems to hold any rational thought or empathy for anything.

Everyone needs to be better.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Man do people suck these days. Everyone. The old white guys who can't understand what racism is now a days. The millennials that need blood anytime someone (usually not themselves) is offended by something. The people who defend the offenders. The people who call for the offender's head. It's all so extreme. Really hard to watch how society behalves these days. Nobody seems to hold any rational thought or empathy for anything.

I couldn't agree more with you. This is why I have barely commented on this entire situation, all of it makes me sick.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Man do people suck these days. Everyone. The old white guys who can't understand what racism is now a days. The millennials that need blood anytime someone (usually not themselves) is offended by something. The people who defend the offenders. The people who call for the offender's head. It's all so extreme. Really hard to watch how society behalves these days. Nobody seems to hold any rational thought or empathy for anything.

It just speaks to the nature of people now. It's really, really sad and just so self-inflicting as a society. Context doesn't matter. Rational thought, discussion and understanding doesn't matter. Self-righteousness, morality police, us vs them, arrogance, ignorance, vast generalizations, no apologies because that's weakness so you double down even if you know it's wrong, no tolerance for second chances, the ruining of lives, careers, families etc. I don't understand how any of that can make someone feel good about themselves.

Everyone likes the nice guy, but it's pushed not to be that guy because being nice is being weak. It's such a contradiction.

I think I need to go watch Mr. Rogers tonight.

Reactions: DFF and Rangediddy

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I couldn't agree more with you. This is why I have barely commented on this entire situation, all of it makes me sick.

Thats what the internet and social media is today.

OT
Everyone being able to comment everything real time, the good and the bad. And too often it's not what you say, its about being the first to say anything about something. Technology is going so much faster ahead than what we are / were used to in normal communication. Its going to be interesting where this development leads.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm sure a lot of us have been thinking and asking this question... either to ourselves or others...

How much did Flames management know about Peters before hiring him?

"While the allegations linger and internal investigations continue into the past conduct of Calgary Flames head coach Bill Peters, there is an even bigger question worth asking to the franchise, its general manager and its owners.

Did they know what had occurred early on in Peters’ career?

Worse, did they know what had occurred … and hire him anyway?

Peters was always Brad Treliving’s choice, ever since he fired Glen Gulutzan on April 17, 2018, and had sought out permission from the Carolina Hurricanes to speak to the Three Hills, Alta., native. Peters, who was the only person to be interviewed by Treliving, resigned as head coach of the Hurricanes on a Friday. He was hired by Treliving on that Monday, six days after Gulutzan was fired."

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm sure a lot of us have been thinking and asking this question... either to ourselves or others...

How much did Flames management know about Peters before hiring him?

"While the allegations linger and internal investigations continue into the past conduct of Calgary Flames head coach Bill Peters, there is an even bigger question worth asking to the franchise, its general manager and its owners.

Did they know what had occurred early on in Peters’ career?

Worse, did they know what had occurred … and hire him anyway?

Peters was always Brad Treliving’s choice, ever since he fired Glen Gulutzan on April 17, 2018, and had sought out permission from the Carolina Hurricanes to speak to the Three Hills, Alta., native. Peters, who was the only person to be interviewed by Treliving, resigned as head coach of the Hurricanes on a Friday. He was hired by Treliving on that Monday, six days after Gulutzan was fired."

I highly doubt they knew the worst of it. There's no way they WANT this PR nightmare.

Calgary Sun sensationalism as norm.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I highly doubt they knew the worst of it. There's no way they WANT this PR nightmare.

Calgary Sun sensationalism as norm.
I doubt they would have known about the racial epitaphs but with due diligence they should have discovered the player physical abuse. I suspect they didn't know about the physical player abuse because Peters was their only candidate for the HC position. I suspect that Treliving and Burke didn't do any due diligence at all... they just hired Peters based on Trelivings personal relationship with him and to all appearances he looked like the perfect candidate.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I keep waiting to hear a statement from Ron Francis. Anyone heard anything or is he still in hiding?

Reactions: DFF

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I doubt they would have known about the racial epitaphs but with due diligence they should have discovered the player physical abuse. I suspect they didn't know about the physical player abuse because Peters was their only candidate for the HC position. I suspect that Treliving and Burke didn't do any due diligence at all... they just hired Peters based on Trelivings personal relationship with him and to all appearances he looked like the perfect candidate.

Depends on what you think due diligence would imply. It took years for this stuff to come out, I'm not sure it would have unless they did a full on investigation like they are currently, and how often does that happen?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Man do people suck these days. Everyone. The old white guys who can't understand what racism is now a days. The millennials that need blood anytime someone (usually not themselves) is offended by something. The people who defend the offenders. The people who call for the offender's head. It's all so extreme. Really hard to watch how society behaves these days. Nobody seems to hold any rational thought or empathy for anything.

Rational thought? In 2019?

Good f***ing luck.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
If Flames lawyers are having trouble finding a way to get out of paying Peters, wonder if the next step is gettinng Chicago, Carolina and possibly the league to chip in in a settlement.

Maybe thats why its taking so long. If Chicago and Carolina never disclosed Peters actions they should be on the hook too, and the league as well for not having effective procedures in place.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Define due diligence. A former employer can't give a perspective employer the tip of 'stay away from this guy' otherwise they may end up on the wrong side of a law suit. And to canvass every player that may have ever played for someone would be time consuming and fruitless. A lot of hearsay would be involved. Peters was hired due to Treliving's previous interactions with him, the systems he used while coaching, and no doubt his success as a coach. Peters' systems were akin to what Gulatzan used and what Treliving was looking for. There was also a time constraint in that Treliving felt Peters wouldn't stay on the open market for very long.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Depends on what you think due diligence would imply. It took years for this stuff to come out, I'm not sure it would have unless they did a full on investigation like they are currently, and how often does that happen?
Depends on what your definition is of years. The physical player abuse, that we know of, occurred either in the 2014-2015 or 2015-2016 season. Peters was hired by the Flames in April 2018.... not that long ago when you look at his hire date.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Did that Sean McMorrow guy ever follow up or did he just tease that he had some dirt and leave it at that?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Define due diligence. A former employer can't give a perspective employer the tip of 'stay away from this guy' otherwise they may end up on the wrong side of a law suit. And to canvass every player that may have ever played for someone would be time consuming and fruitless. A lot of hearsay would be involved. Peters was hired due to Treliving's previous interactions with him, the systems he used while coaching, and no doubt his success as a coach. Peters' systems were akin to what Gulatzan used and what Treliving was looking for. There was also a time constraint in that Treliving felt Peters wouldn't stay on the open market for very long.
First of all, Peters was still the Head Coach of Canes when they interviewed him (short as I suspect it was) and offered him the job of HC for the Flames. There was no time constraint.

"Peters was always Brad Treliving’s choice, ever since he fired Glen Gulutzan on April 17, 2018, and had sought out permission from the Carolina Hurricanes to speak to the Three Hills, Alta., native. Peters, who was the only person to be interviewed by Treliving, resigned as head coach of the Hurricanes on a Friday. He was hired by Treliving on that Monday, six days after Gulutzan was fired."

As to due diligence... You talk to as many people as you need to in order to get a complete picture of the guy you may want to hire. You don't have to talk to every player on the team... just the team leaders and assistant coaches that were subordinate to him (and this would have all been done in private where Peters would never know). When hiring a HC you are hiring the most important person on the team. HC's can make or break a team. Ask some Leaf players if you don't believe me.
Peters was hired 6 days after Gully was fired. I'd be surprised if due diligence is possible in 6 days.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
First of all, Peters was still the Head Coach of Canes when they interviewed him (short as I suspect it was) and offered him the job of HC for the Flames. There was no time constraint.

"Peters was always Brad Treliving’s choice, ever since he fired Glen Gulutzan on April 17, 2018, and had sought out permission from the Carolina Hurricanes to speak to the Three Hills, Alta., native. Peters, who was the only person to be interviewed by Treliving, resigned as head coach of the Hurricanes on a Friday. He was hired by Treliving on that Monday, six days after Gulutzan was fired."

As to due diligence... You talk to as many people as you need to in order to get a complete picture of the guy you may want to hire. You don't have to talk to every player on the team... just the team leaders and assistant coaches that were subordinate to him (and this would have all been done in private where Peters would never know). When hiring a HC you are hiring the most important person on the team. HC's can make or break a team. Ask some Leaf players if you don't believe me.
Peters was hired 6 days after Gully was fired. I'd be surprised if due diligence is possible in 6 days.
Not to mention how easily the Canes let him walk...

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I, shockingly, am largely agreeing with the Calgary sun. Either Treliving is an idiot for not doing anything resembling due diligence in hiring Peters or he knew he was abusive and a total bully to the players in Carolina and hired him anyways.
Neither of these is acceptable imo and Treliving should definitely not escape this debacle unscathed. How can we trust in his process after revelations like this?

I'd also like to say that the last few days have totally shaken my confidence in several online communities, this one included. This more specifically pertains to the defense of Peters in face of the aliu accusations, the talk questioning alius motives, and the idea that false outrage is making this a bigger deal than it should be. So much priveledged f***ing bullshit here, at cp and on reddit. Its sickening and godawful to behold. Some of you should be totally f***ing ashamed imo. I hope you can find friends of color to discuss this with.

I'm getting really emotional just typing this out as I felt these spaces were relatively tolerant and well intentioned but the veil has been lifted and I'm now left wondering why I thought that would be the case at all. Sorry but f*** this shit and f*** some of y'all terrible goddamn opinions here.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You can only do so much due diligence if no one is willing to talk and say anything negatively. Maybe guys in Carolina shut up so the Flames could hire him and get him out.

How many times have you heard athletes come out and sewer guys routinely? Shit doesn't happen very often and when it does it is almost always when the player and coach or player and another player are no longer on the same team.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Can't disagree with some of the people thinking Tre should be getting more heat. While I doubt Tre could have ever reasonably foreseen the whole situation with Rockford, its pretty clear he didn't bother putting all that much effort into investigating the allegations in Carolina which were much more recent. Granted, you could argue Carolina would have no interest in sharing some of that info to another team, but the fact that Peters was hired mere days after the Gulutzan firing (and only committing to one candidate) tells me Tre got tunnel vision and didn't do enough of his own digging. Tre himself said he was doing his due-diligence with this hire and put his faith into this man when bringing him in. At the end of the day, he has to own up to making this very costly mistake when he puts those words out there and vouches for this man.

Just curious, how many GM's get 4 (possibly 5) coaches in the span of half a decade? This charade has frankly gotten ridiculous. Tre hasn't done anything to improve this team in the last few years outside of ONE trade, and I'm starting to think luck was on his side with Lindy breaking out. Thank goodness for pulling Rittich out of their ass as well, as this team is frankly a joke without him this year. If Tre messes up the next hire, I want his ass out the door no questions asked. I've already questioned his ability to assess talent at the pro-level, and this certainly hasn't helped improve his perception in my eyes at this point.

Reactions: Flameshomer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->