Bill Peters Allegations - Update: Story corroborated, possible assault. (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He knows how it's gonna end so he's not gonna resign and walk without a payout

Hopefully the flames can fire him without pay. Eveything he's doing right now is about the money.

I wonder if he has come to grips with the fact he'll be riding a bus for 80k a year after this.

May 27, 2012
Earth
What is happening to Bill Peters is Wrong - Aliu is just looking for a payout -

What Peters did was wrong but his intent is unknown - Trying to be funny ?? I dont know

However Alius Actions are malicious in my opinion

Now that's a hot take

giphy.gif

url

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Peters will get fired, it is just a bunch of legal bullshit right now. Like Burke just said, Tre sounded like the NHL with his addressing the media and the letter from Peters looks to be written by a lawyer.

There's no way he doesn't get canned, Flames would look like the dumbest/scummiest organization.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am most sorry for thinking that this terrible play from the boys was the result of partying and poor motivation and focus when it is very quickly becoming clear that is not the case. In fact the stories of partying are probably because these guys are being put through a terrible situation at work.
Something we're not talking about is how, imo, the flames org has been promoting Peters as this great guy and great coach when it's really obvious now that's not at all the case. How can we trust in the process now?

Yup, let's blame Peters on everything.

Let's ignore that the team was a mess before he came and still a mess after he left.

Reactions: super6646

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do you really think it was appropriate for the organization to put Oliver Kylington in front of a camera and answer if he's been victim to racist behaviour or other abuses in the locker room?

And in this case, "no comment" is just as damning as a hardline statement confirming that there was toxic stuff going on behind the scenes. These kinds of things don't get spelled out in the media - for example, do you really still think Peters' fate hasn't been sealed and that Treliving is still investigating the matters with Aliu?

Like you're saying, not allowing Oliver to speak to the media after this incident would have sent a message. This way he could say whatever he wanted.

And there wasn't "no comment" from the players as far as I saw. There was "we haven't seen that sort of thing." As you say, a "no comment" would definitely have been pretty damning... no one chose that route.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I haven't been following this story too close but how can Aliu sue Peters? Because he called him some racial slurs? I don't get how you can use someone for this?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Something is really starting to eat away at me. Why is it that it almost feels like Treliving, Peters, Aliu and a few others are speaking a totally different language. We on the outside are kinda talking about the racial slur and possible assault, but the whole damn thing submarining like it did so quickly and Peters rolling over so quickly almost makes it seem like there's something under the surface totally different which is the real focus that is actually being addressed here.

Or maybe I'm just being weird?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yup, let's blame Peters on everything.

Let's ignore that the team was a mess before he came and still a mess after he left.

This. Team played like crap tonight without him anyway and Rittich stole another 2 pts tonight.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
  1. He apologized for his behavior that embarrassed the Flames org.
  2. He, like Louie CK and Al Franken , admitted to what he did, and it's far easier to deny something that happened a decade ago. Not only did he admit and apologize, he pointed out that he understands why it is wrong.
  3. He apologized to the team immediately after it happened.
  4. He apologized to people who seriously have no business being involved in this issue... Yes, that's us and if you think he owes you something your suffering from narcissism.
  5. He noted that he accepts the teams decision in this matter.
I am not a part of the Flames staff and I will not join the "outrage" fringe society when I don't have all of the facts. I was not there at the time and I am not a part of the decision making nor do I have all of the information. I too will fully support which ever the Flames decide after their investigation as this really is none of my business. I believe that the Flames are capable in defining actual racism vs spouting negative terms in a time of frustration, if this is the case. Just like calling your significant other a hurtful name in a time of frustration. We have all done it and regretted it immediately. Once they have concluded this investigation I hope the hockey community can move forward maturely.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
  1. He apologized for his behavior that embarrassed the Flames org.
  2. He, like Louie CK and Al Franken , admitted to what he did, and it's far easier to deny something that happened a decade ago. Not only did he admit and apologize, he pointed out that he understands why it is wrong.
  3. He apologized to the team immediately after it happened.
  4. He apologized to people who seriously have no business being involved in this issue... Yes, that's us and if you think he owes you something your suffering from narcissism.
  5. He noted that he accepts the teams decision in this matter.
I am not a part of the Flames staff and I will not join the "outrage" fringe society when I don't have all of the facts. I was not there at the time and I am not a part of the decision making nor do I have all of the information. I too will fully support which ever the Flames decide after their investigation as this really is none of my business. I believe that the Flames are capable in defining actual racism vs spouting negative terms in a time of frustration, if this is the case. Just like calling your significant other a hurtful name in a time of frustration. We have all done it and regretted it immediately. Once they have concluded this investigation I hope the hockey community can move forward maturely.
"We have all done it" my ass. Speak for yourself. I've never called someone a slur when I was angry.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
"We have all done it" my ass. Speak for yourself. I've never called someone a slur when I was angry.
Or intentionally torpedoed their career afterwards. Or physically assaulted employees for under performance.

This letter apology is BS.

The boys weren't playing the sharpest tonight but to me it looked like they were playing enjoyably and lightly for the first time in almost a calendar year. That mentality will lead to success. With all the news that's come out about Peter's, I think it is pretty easy to point out an obvious reason for this notable change in mood.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Canucks fan coming in peace and support. I think Corpus X and FlamesHomer both made good points in regards to flip sides of the same coin.

Corpus X: The Flames Organization will do the right thing and move on from this mistake in hiring process which appeared to lack a deep/wide reference & character vetting. I'm certainly not judging, Vancouver has f***ed up more organizational hires than most.

FlamesHomer: The Players themselves will probably loosen up and honestly I'm likely not in the minority of Pacific Division fans who can see Calgary, if they get the right Coach, turn around like the Leafs.

Fans of Canadian hockey know who the Calgary Flames Organization is and this blemish by Peters isn't going to stain the legacy that Lanny, Loob, Iggy, Al, Gary & the rest have built.

Looking forward to you guys bouncing back. Tonight was a good start and a great return for T.J.

Cheers

Last edited:

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Or intentionally torpedoed their career afterwards. Or physically assaulted employees for under performance.
If you think that Peters tanked a career because of this your pretty naive. There would be a heck of a lot more to this.
Of course, we here in Canada have a clear distinction of this. It is never okay to use any racial slur. I have yelled at my SO in a derogatory manner however she was fully pushing all the buttons to get me to do it (and what she did to me was way worse than an angry derogatory comment back). That is what I am talking about and yes, if you're in a relationship you've said hurtful things.

I am a part of a group that is trying to assist the black community in Raleigh, NC and a few more southern states. I have a clear understanding of the culture and economics there and the racism that festers as well. DO NOT mistake that for acceptance. I just understand the culture. I think there are 3 of us that are white and two of us are Canadian in this group and the rest are Black living in the poor regions of the cities and towns. Even trying to touch this and share this with you seems meaningless as the likelihood of the culture here having any actually understanding of the southern culture is a long shot. I abhorrer racism as you do, but it is ingrained down there and it is from all races and it's never okay. Listening to people talk down south, the aggression and words used, left my mouth wide open for years. How one of my good friends in the community there walked around with guns going off blocks away and he's all casual on a video talk. Gangster rap or rap that talks consistently at harming people or that ilk is called n/music down there and not by the KKK but by the black community that fight the gangster culture. They use it as a slur to tell them their life of crime makes them worthless. I don't like the approach but I wouldn't last a second down there so who am I to intervene without the national guard! Still, it's wrong that these words are used so liberally down there IMO and yours. This is such a hard topic to discuss because we aren't there however there is a fantastic book/audiobook written by Thomas Sowell who is an economist and brilliant mind that talks about it called Black Rednecks and White Liberals.

It's pretty easy to be all self-righteous up here in Canada... The stuff that I'm tackling gives you a bit of insight as to why I'm ridiculous on here... #### gets real.

@Fig had the best post in this thread IMO. I'll post the link to it
Treliving is a smart man. If this is true, they will decide what to do next. I think if it's decided Peters is out, Treliving gives Peters a little bit of dignity to pull the level at his own hanging so to speak. If it is not true or if there is some attempt to ameliorate the situation, they will proceed with that. (ie: Peters will put forth a ton of his own salary to support ethnic groups etc. after stating he made a mistake a long time ago, he's no longer that type of person and it's time to amends). I have no clue, but it won't be swept under the rug. Treliving will face it head on.

Anyway, it's been a really hard month and I'm frustrated, angry and exhausted... TTYL.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
If you think that Peters tanked a career because of this your pretty naive. There would be a heck of a lot more to this.
Of course, we here in Canada have a clear distinction of this. It is never okay to use any racial slur. I have yelled at my SO in a derogatory manner however she was fully pushing all the buttons to get me to do it (and what she did to me was way worse than an angry derogatory comment back). That is what I am talking about and yes, if you're in a relationship you've said hurtful things.

I am a part of a group that is trying to assist the black community in Raleigh, NC and a few more southern states. I have a clear understanding of the culture and economics there and the racism that festers as well. DO NOT mistake that for acceptance. I just understand the culture. I think there are 3 of us that are white and two of us are Canadian in this group and the rest are Black living in the poor regions of the cities and towns. Even trying to touch this and share this with you seems meaningless as the likelihood of the culture here having any actually understanding of the southern culture is a long shot. I abhorrer racism as you do, but it is ingrained down there and it is from all races and it's never okay. Listening to people talk down south, the aggression and words used, left my mouth wide open for years. How one of my good friends in the community there walked around with guns going off blocks away and he's all casual on a video talk. Gangster rap or rap that talks consistently at harming people or that ilk is called n/music down there and not by the KKK but by the black community that fight the gangster culture. They use it as a slur to tell them their life of crime makes them worthless. I don't like the approach but I wouldn't last a second down there so who am I to intervene without the national guard! Still, it's wrong that these words are used so liberally down there IMO and yours. This is such a hard topic to discuss because we aren't there however there is a fantastic book/audiobook written by Thomas Sowell who is an economist and brilliant mind that talks about it called Black Rednecks and White Liberals.

It's pretty easy to be all self-righteous up here in Canada... The stuff that I'm tackling gives you a bit of insight as to why I'm ridiculous on here... #### gets real.

@Fig had the best post in this thread IMO. I'll post the link to it

Anyway, it's been a really hard month and I'm frustrated, angry and exhausted... TTYL.

Aliu actually alleged that Peters tanked his career along with the racial comments.

I respect you for doing good in that community, but Peters is a white boy from rural Alberta, and at the time of the comments was no where near the american south. Even so, it's completely inexcusable to use the word in question to derogatorily describe anything in any setting, music included, and especially in a setting of power over a person color. I will not agree to any defense of Peters in this regard.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Francis being the go to media guy kind of says it all, doesn't it

I hardly think he's the go-to media guy. I think he just likes to word things to sound like he's more important than he really is. Like when he says on broadcasts that he has dinners with GMs from other teams. Outside of local personnel, I seriously doubt they even know who he is, much less have the time to hang out with, for all intents and purposes, a beat reporter.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Aliu actually alleged that Peters tanked his career along with the racial comments.

I respect you for doing good in that community, but Peters is a white boy from rural Alberta, and at the time of the comments was no where near the american south. Even so, it's completely inexcusable to use the word in question to derogatorily describe anything in any setting, music included, and especially in a setting of power over a person color. I will not agree to any defense of Peters in this regard.
Being an Alberta citizen is a good point. Also, understand I am not defending HIM. I'm defending rational thought and the need for calm in a volatile arena, for example "outrage culture".

There is an investigation.
He stood up to what was said about his behavior and admitted it. That is good and honest and it does mean a lot.
As we are not fully aware of everything we should accept whatever the Flames decide. I'm 99% sure he's done in Calgary, but he shouldn't be finished in hockey. It's a lesson, even if he learned it late in life everyone deserves a second chance. See Fig's post I quoted.

K, seriously, I need to log out.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
That letter reads like a contrite admission of events, slathered in a veneer of lawyer-ese.

Sorry, doesn’t strike me as particularly genuine.

Did you catch the panel after tonight's game?

Jeff Marek (I think) read the letter and ask for Burkie's input and he said, speaking as a former lawyer, that that's pretty much what the letter was: acknowledge and apologize for Aliu's claims, but not to acknowledge or address the other accusations that have been brought up against him because he'll need to handles those completely separately at a later time.

Burkie was also convinced that Tre's "we'll need more time to review the letter" presser was at Bill Daly's request to delay some more while they get their lawyers to investigate.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Being an Alberta citizen is a good point. Also, understand I am not defending HIM. I'm defending rational thought and the need for calm in a volatile arena, for example "outrage culture".

There is an investigation.
He stood up to what was said about his behavior and admitted it. That is good and honest and it does mean a lot.
As we are not fully aware of everything we should accept whatever the Flames decide. I'm 99% sure he's done in Calgary, but he shouldn't be finished in hockey. It's a lesson, even if he learned it late in life everyone deserves a second chance. See Fig's post I quoted.

K, seriously, I need to log out.
Respectfully that's where we disagree. I dont think this is at all a representation of outrage culture. (not going to get into a larger discussion over the term 'outrage culture' which is being used elsewhere to belittle and denigrate victims of harassment)
Its not merely two people or colleagues or strangers that we are discussing in this situation.

This was a white man in a position of power over a black teenager, who in front of his teammates chose to berate his chosen music using the most deplorable word associated with people of his color's history- and slavery and oppression. Ignorance is not an excuse for that level of interaction.
You're also choosing to ignore the other disturbing and recent allegations from Carolina players and staff about Peters conduct there. Harassment, bullying, and racism seem to be just under the surface with this man, and given between the 8 years of the two major reported instances where he seems not to have changed, why should we think hes any different now?

I think this is rightfully the end of his pro hockey coaching career. I am not saying he cant change and improve as a person over time, but no professional team can take this PR burden on in the near future and he will be passed by with time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Haha so much bullshit in the statement by the owner

Don't throw your employee under the bus and take the high ground like you are some kind of good guy

You are at least liable for anything you own. If I even believe you don't know lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad