Bill Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Wow, how you extrapolated me saying he is a bust for that is really odd. Lol, more like wtf. Geez.

What I said is there was a guy relegated to a **** line, and he found his way with Matthews based on overcoming said **** line. Instead of making excuses, he worked his ass off and was rewarded. Pretty simple concept.

Adjective was irrelevant. I obviously don't think you think Nylander is a bust in the Stefan definition of bust.

I'm asking how that Johnsson sample size correlates with Nylander?

Reactions: stopclickbait

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have defended Willy for too long. I really thought he would get over the hump for playoffs. Maybe his playoff game will never translate to the smaller size NHL rink. I hope I am wrong here. but I still think he looks as bad as possible in Boston with smaller rink.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
If you look at the top producers all-time for this tournament, Nylander is among some very talented names.

There is predictive value in this tournament considering he just turned 23 and knows how to play an elite offensive game with other skilled players.

Not saying Nylander is guaranteed to become a Panarin but it does help the case for keeping him around for now don't you think?

Looking at the past MVP's of this tourney there are some high profile names like kane, Malkin, kovy, etc.

But there also outliers that were not stars by any means.

When the tournament involves playing against teams like Norway and France it's not that hard for a skilled player to rack up the points. Especially ones that require bigger ice surfaces.

Seems like nylander is missing something at the nhl level. 2 years ago I got super pumped watching nylander crush the worlds only to see him have an average season. When someone is as skilled as he is, there is no reason to only get 61 points playing with Matthew's.

I think he either lacks confidence on the smaller rinks or just doesn't know how to play at the faster pace. Also seems like he lacks intensity. I still dont know what he was doing against Boston when he got the puck in front of rask and then just stopped playing.

I do not think he is worth keeping around at 7mil. If he had signed at a more reasonable price and didn't hold out on the team for 2 months it would be a different story.

It's not a coincidence that the team has played poorly ever since he came back.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol is that supposed to be really good?

Playing the majority of his ice time with one of the best even strength goal scorers in the league I'd hope he could get some even strength points
Malkin - 49
Pastrnak - 49
Stamkos - 49
Draisaitl - 47
Nylander - 47
Barkov - 46
Tavares - 43
Rantanen - 43
Wheeler - 42
Seguin - 42

it's up to you if you think this is good company or not. It would be a pretty tough position to take to say no, but feel free

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
There are important aspects of hockey that are not represented by points, but I'm not sure Nylander brings any of that.

yok.gif

Reactions: stopclickbait

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Adjective was irrelevant. I obviously don't think you think Nylander is a bust in the Stefan definition of bust.

I'm asking how that Johnsson sample size correlates with Nylander?
I'm just saying all this "horrible linemates" stuff gets old, make something happen, he has the talent.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Looking at the past MVP's of this tourney there are some high profile names like kane, Malkin, kovy, etc.

But there also outliers that were not stars by any means.

When the tournament involves playing against teams like Norway and France it's not that hard for a skilled player to rack up the points. Especially ones that require bigger ice surfaces.

Seems like nylander is missing something at the nhl level. 2 years ago I got super pumped watching nylander crush the worlds only to see him have an average season. When someone is as skilled as he is, there is no reason to only get 61 points playing with Matthew's.

I think he either lacks confidence on the smaller rinks or just doesn't know how to handle the lack of time. Also seems like he lacks intensity. I still dont know what he was doing against Boston when he got the puck in front of rask and then just stopped playing.

I do not think he is worth keeping around at 7mil. If he had signed at a more reasonable price and didn't hold out on the team for 2 months it would be a different story.

It's not a coincidence that the team has played poorly ever since he came back.

He is going to have a full camp and a fresh start to build on his seasons before the lockout so we'll see if he's an outlier or a future star.

I'm betting in his favor. If he falters I will re-assess for sure.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Two years ago second half was his best stretch, his play was fantastic. The downside, that's two years ago and he supposed to be improving and he's never come close to that play since. This is the concerning part, he will be okay and rack up points with Matthews, but will he find consistency in his game/effort. You're 23 now, you start to become what you are...

The second half of his rookie year he was my favourite of the big 3. I wanted his name on my Jersey. Especially after he won mvp at worlds.

Now it's a big 2 and he's on the outside.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
I have defended Willy for too long. I really thought he would get over the hump for playoffs. Maybe his playoff game will never translate to the smaller size NHL rink. I hope I am wrong here. but I still think he looks as bad as possible in Boston with smaller rink.
hmm, that guy who *checks notes* has already played great hockey on that ice and had a hat-trick in boston will not ever translate his game to the smaller rink.

like, for real?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Malkin - 49
Pastrnak - 49
Stamkos - 49
Draisaitl - 47
Nylander - 47
Barkov - 46
Tavares - 43
Rantanen - 43
Wheeler - 42
Seguin - 42

it's up to you if you think this is good company or not. It would be a pretty tough position to take to say no, but feel free

Like I said, he played with the best even strength goal scorer. You'd think he would get some even strength points, no?

Basically every player you quoted ended up with ~20+ more points than him so he's not really in their company.

I love how you guys find random stats that show nylander is among some elite players. Its always a fun read.

Reactions: diceman934

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I'm just saying all this "horrible linemates" stuff gets old, make something happen, he has the talent.

I respect that. It was a disappointing season for sure. I can't stand up for him on that front.

Given everything I've seen, his age, and the outlier of a lockout season I think he will live up to his hype of being one of the big 3.

If I'm wrong I will tell you I was wrong, don't worry.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well we have seen him dominate twice at the worlds but has never been able to translate that to the nhl.

I think the indicator is that he needs the bigger ice for time and space.

Anyone who puts value into this tournament has very little knowledge when it comes to hockey.
He is facing a total of 6 nhlers in the next 3 games

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Malkin - 49
Pastrnak - 49
Stamkos - 49
Draisaitl - 47
Nylander - 47
Barkov - 46
Tavares - 43
Rantanen - 43
Wheeler - 42
Seguin - 42

It was 49 even strength points actually.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because he had better numbers at the time of his contract signing than either guy did.

If Elhers had more than one decent season he wasikybwould have gotten 6.5-7 mil. If Boston had to wait another season to sign Pasta it would have cost them 9 million

Not true, and Pastrnak is not a good comparable at all...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I respect that. It was a disappointing season for sure. I can't stand up for him on that front.

Given everything I've seen, his age, and the outlier of a lockout season I think he will live up to his hype of being one of the big 3.

If I'm wrong I will tell you I was wrong, don't worry.
Dude, I was a big Nylander guy coming into 2017-18, he was primed to become a true star. Looked fanstastic end of season 17, then a monster WC, dominate camp, it was all there...and then it became this uneven play and I started to question his desire, at least the level required to be the player I suspected.

Fast forward to this year, and I'm just like, show some pride, show everyone Dubas was right to give you that contract, will yourself to something. He did look good at times, but was never a catalyst and would disappear when we needed him. The criticism isn't can he put up some points, it's can he be a true difference maker, can he say "f*** it with these wingers, drive the play and just do it?" Instead we get these drive by defensive efforts and wandering play. That's fair criticism.

Next year is a different year, he can still put it all together...I guess now I'm just not waiting for it as much as before.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The second half of his rookie year he was my favourite of the big 3. I wanted his name on my Jersey. Especially after he won mvp at worlds.

Now it's a big 2 and he's on the outside.

I don't think your timeline is correct. Second half of rookie year all the way to first half of sophomore year he was one of our best players. No way you would have jumped ship. Marner played like Nylander coming off his lockout for the first half of 17/18.

Marner found instant chemistry with Kadri and now has been our MVP for 1.5 seasons now. Can give him a blank cheque to sign as far as I'm concerned.

These guys are to young and talented to put them on the outside. Just need to find the right mix for them. If Marner stayed with JVR and Bozak his 17/18 season probably ends differently. Kardi-Marner put on an absolute clinic. He then gets to start the season and stay with Tavares. Environment to succeed.

If you hate Nylander because he held out and looks greedy then fine. Don't mix that up with his talent. I don't see how a player can hold out for 1/3 of the season and expect to be a factor when he comes back. This league is full of strong and fit athletes who have the jump on players that held out.

If you truly wanted his jersey I don't see the big deal in giving him a clean slate with a normal year before you write him off.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For once can we just enjoy a Leafs doing well at the Worlds.
What’s the harm in any Leafs doing well at the World?
Would it really be that horrible if you need to hear Willie’s fans pump his tires over the summer? As Leafs fans, won’t you want to see all Leafs to do well and win the Cup?
Pretty sure if Willie is pointless or just have a point in the next game, some here would be going ‘I told you he sucks!’ in overdrive.
Like him or not, he is a Leafs. Even if you want him traded, would you rather a return of Hutton or Seth Jones. The better Willie performs the closer he can net the Leafs a Seth Jones, if he continues to suck, it will be lucky if Leafs can even get a Justin Holl for him.

Reactions: ZEBROA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA