Bill Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I like the fact that Willie is playing on his off wing (LW) for the Championships, and doing really well at it. We may have filled our need internally when it comes to the void on LW. Put him still on Matthews line but on LW opening up the RW for other wingers which we have plenty of for that side. Bracco!!!!!

Nylander-Matthews-Bracco

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Please post one post that calls him a bust. I have not read one. Maybe I missed it. I see lots of people calling him Elite, and other stating he is not producing like an elite player. I see other criticisms about his over all game fairly I may add. I have not read any one call him a bust.

He is a very skilled player who as of yet will not do the things needed to help a team win a game. That is my feelings towards him. I believe it is an honest assessment of his play to date.

If only the posts were as polite as just saying "Nylander is a bust".

you must be new here

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So because we ****** up two other contracts we should continue on with that "plan"

That would be a gigantic RFA contract for a winger, about the only other guy that would be close would be Kane and he was winning playoff rounds at this point in his career
It is call salary structure and his teams salary structure is a real thing. It is all over negotiation on every team. Look at Boston’s salary structure or Tampa or even the Blues. Hell for that matter most every team but the odd one. It is the single most important part of negotiations of a contract between players and team. Nylander used it when signing his contract stating he viewed him self as valuable as Marner. Many on here agreed with Nylander up until this year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It is call salary structure and his teams salary structure is a real thing. It is all over negotiation on every team. Look at Boston’s salary structure or Tampa or even the Blues. Hell for that matter most every team but the odd one. It is the single most important part of negotiations of a contract between players and team. Nylander used it when signing his contract stating he viewed him self as valuable as Marner. Many on here agreed with Nylander up until this year.

He's entitled to argue that, and it's going to get his ass traded out of town

Nobody sane is giving him Matthews money (I would have said the same about Matthews but whatever) and if he can get that somewhere in wish him the best of luck

horner

May 22, 2007
Hope he goes to the slot against Rus USA can and Finland .
He needs to go to the prime areas to score.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He's entitled to argue that, and it's going to get his ass traded out of town

Nobody sane is giving him Matthews money (I would have said the same about Matthews but whatever) and if he can get that somewhere in wish him the best of luck
He is not going to be traded that is ridiculous. You simply do not trade a player of his caliber.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
If he plays poorly next playoffs he will deserve criticism.

This tournament is valid because it shows hes capable of being a top performer, and in part showing how the first 20 games of this past season likely arent a great indicator of who he is as a player.

Well we have seen him dominate twice at the worlds but has never been able to translate that to the nhl.

I think the indicator is that he needs the bigger ice for time and space.

Anyone who puts value into this tournament has very little knowledge when it comes to hockey.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Come on man. A 4 point night on the 4th line by AJ suddenly proves Nylander is bust lol.

AJ disappears when he has to go against other teams top lines. Nylander we know will floor as a 60 point winger against other teams top 6.

This isn't an AJ versus Nylander debate I just fail to see the correlation.
Wow, how you extrapolated me saying he is a bust for that is really odd. Lol, more like wtf. Geez.

What I said is there was a guy relegated to a shit line, and he found his way with Matthews based on overcoming said shit line. Instead of making excuses, he worked his ass off and was rewarded. Pretty simple concept.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well we have seen him dominate twice at the worlds but has never been able to translate that to the nhl.

Anyone who puts value into this tournament has very little knowledge when it comes to hockey.

He had 45 even strength points as a sophomore NHLer....

You of all people shouldn't try pull the "hockey knowledge" card lol

Reactions: stopclickbait

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I like Willy, always have. Amazing talent. Top end skills skating and with the puck. He always looks like best player on the big ice. If the NHL was on the big ice he would produce and be paid much more. So much more time and space for him to do what he wants on big ice. Playing in Boston on the smallest ice in the NHL is the worst possible situation for Willy. He can't utilize his skills. This is the hardest situation our Leafs find themselves in. And he can't bulk up because it slows him down and he loses his effectiveness (he tried it when he came back and it was an unmitigated disaster). I think he needs to slim down a little more and get a bit quicker.

I think Boston’s ice surface is the standard 200 x 85

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
People who are defending him are actually using evidence support their positions. Those on the otherside not so much.

Hence why even though hes been fantastic this tournament you have folks going out of their way to dump on the guy.

You're free to hold whatever opinion that you so choose, but that freedom doesnt mean folks have to treat it as a valid nor well thought out one.

What kind of evidance are you using to defend nylander?

Shot charts? World cup points? Lol

He just finished a 54 game season with 27 points making 7mil. The season before he showed no progression and ended up with the same point total he had as a rookie.

Seems like unless he is tied to the hip with one of the best goal scorers in the league or is playing on the big ice, he cannot play well.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf and Al14

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

If you look at the top producers all-time for this tournament, Nylander is among some very talented names.

There is predictive value in this tournament considering he just turned 23 and knows how to play an elite offensive game with other skilled players.

Not saying Nylander is guaranteed to become a Panarin but it does help the case for keeping him around for now don't you think?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
He had 45 even strength points as a sophomore NHLer....

You of all people shouldn't try pull the "hockey knowledge" card lol

Lol is that supposed to be really good?

Playing the majority of his ice time with one of the best even strength goal scorers in the league I'd hope he could get some even strength points

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
When has he dominated at the NHL level?
Two years ago second half was his best stretch, his play was fantastic. The downside, that's two years ago and he supposed to be improving and he's never come close to that play since. This is the concerning part, he will be okay and rack up points with Matthews, but will he find consistency in his game/effort. You're 23 now, you start to become what you are...

Reactions: Stamkos4life

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I like the fact that Willie is playing on his off wing (LW) for the Championships, and doing really well at it. We may have filled our need internally when it comes to the void on LW. Put him still on Matthews line but on LW opening up the RW for other wingers which we have plenty of for that side. Bracco!!!!!

Nylander-Matthews-Bracco
1st get a new coach
Because as of right now and for the next season we have a coach who wont play Nylander/Matthews 2gether for more than a few games. It feels like he is waiting for one tiny mistake and bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad