Bill Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

The explanation is he doesn't want to get hit and is scared.

I think we know he doesn't like contact but I don't think that's it in this case.
Has anyone ever asked Nylander what happened here?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think this is it for Willy in Toronto. It is his last chance. If he delivers tonight and pops a couple and Leafs advance then he will be a Toronto hero. He is playing against a weak Boston 3rd line. He is most skilled player on ice every time in that match up. He needs to man up and play like a man possessed. If he does everything will be forgotten. If he skates around and does not drive play then I fear he will be traded in summer for some top end defender help to play with Rielly.
Honestly, other than the handful here, as much as we hope and believe that it should happen, it's hard to see the hero showing up tonight.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I think we know he doesn't like contact but I don't think that's it in this case.

It looks like he just wasn't ready for the pass even though he is looking right at Moore, which is bad enough, but I will never understand the look back at Gauthier after missing the pass instead of going after the puck. Moore got drilled to make that play and Willy just gives up. We easily could have held the zone with some effort from Willy. Honestly, what could he say even if someone did ask.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It looks like he just wasn't ready for the pass even though he is looking right at Moore, which is bad enough, but I will never understand the look back at Gauthier after missing the pass instead of going after the puck. Moore got drilled to make that play and Willy just gives up. We easily could have held the zone with some effort from Willy. Honestly, what could he say even if someone did ask.
Only thing I can think of is he heard a whistle.
Strange play none the less.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Only thing I can think of is he heard a whistle.
Strange play none the less.

I thought of that and I have watched it over and over to watch his reaction and the other players on the ice. He doesn't seem to give up until after he misses the pass and no one else gives up. It looks like he thought it was going to go down to Gauthier and when it didn't, he wasn't ready. I was hoping to actually see a reason for it, like a whistle blown, it just isn't there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As an aside, this "pure playmaker" stuff bugs me. A couple years ago we were all lauding his "world class" shot....at least I was.

Though to be fair, the group calling him a sniper were always out to lunch; the playmaking element has always been by far the strongest part of his offensive game over shooting

Reactions: Morgs

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I'm sorry, but the excuses for him are just ridiculous.

You don't need good linemates to look like you give a damn. The giveaways, the soft neutral zone play, the lack of effort on the forecheck - those aren't due to the players he's with, but down to him himself.

Elite players should be able to elevate their teammates - Matthews turned Conner Brown into a 20-goal scorer, FFS.
And Gretzky turned players to hall of famers. You got to high expectations after a season like the one Nylander had. I expect things from those who were good during the season. You set yourself up for disapointment expecting the same from Nylander. Should be obvious to everyone. And people look at him with there minds allready set. Thats sad but true. I could pick misstakes from every player that never ended up in anything and magnify it x1000. This far Nylanders play has not decided the outcome of these games. Other factors has been a lot bigger reason.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I was so confused here too, it's like his controller died and he had to just stop playing for a couple seconds. I've never seen anything like that before.

People quoting it as pathetic are really out to lunch though, using that as an excuse why he sucks lmao. Made me wonder if he got hit earlier in the play, or if he just didn't see Carlo coming and thought he had more time/didn't read the bounce.

Either way, wasn't a good play.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think this is it for Willy in Toronto. It is his last chance. If he delivers tonight and pops a couple and Leafs advance then he will be a Toronto hero. He is playing against a weak Boston 3rd line. He is most skilled player on ice every time in that match up. He needs to man up and play like a man possessed. If he does everything will be forgotten. If he skates around and does not drive play then I fear he will be traded in summer for some top end defender help to play with Rielly.

lol no he won't. The clowns in here will find a clip with no context and continue to compare him to the anti-christ.

If Marner can start to produce as much as Nylander has since game 2 we have a good chance. That's the guy that needs to get going again.

Reactions: Menzinger and Morgs

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
lol no he won't. The clowns in here will find a clip with no context and continue to compare him to the anti-christ.

If Marner can produce as much as Nylander has since game 2 we have a good chance.
I agree he won't be traded this summer. Cause nobody would touch him with a 10 foot pole unless we bend over hard. Predictable disaster.

I agree this is Willys chance. That's why i said Moms spaghetti.

Reactions: Faltorvo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

If Marner can start to produce as much as Nylander has since game 2 we have a good chance. That's the guy that needs to get going again.
Marner is in tough against Marchand. Tavares line just needs to square off even steven. Matty and Willy have to get us some goals. 2 between the 2 of them at minimum. It is a must. Willy has it a little easier on line match ups so he can do it by himself. Willy is the key - he can break this game wide open and there is not much the bruins can do. That is assuming he really wants to be a Leaf. I am not about talking about it but actually doing it on ice. He has the easiest match ups and the most skill. It has to happen.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
And Gretzky turned players to hall of famers. You got to high expectations after a season like the one Nylander had. I expect things from those who were good during the season. You set yourself up for disapointment expecting the same from Nylander..

My post, from earlier:

I had no expectations of Nylander heading into the playoffs, and still find myself being very disappointed in his play.

Thanks

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018

I think he was under the impression that Gauthier took a penalty for a hit from behind there or interference. It seemed like he was expecting a penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad