Bill Ny the contractless guy (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I’m on my phone so can’t reply to everything here but 8x$6.25 has not been reported at all no numbers, except for dregers made up $8m have been reported

Oh, come on... I wrote that post on my iphone (hense the typos!) ;)

Plus, it HAS been reported 8 x 6.25 (ish) is the ask VIA dubas... I forget the source that I heard... I think it was on the radio... but here are a couple other reports suggesting its in that ballpark.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
because even the people most on the team's side think 5.6 for nylander for 6 years is never going to happen, and comparing him to a dman is idiotic.

I wasn't comparing players, I was comparing cap hits... Rielly was signed by the Maple Leafs organization that have a cap structure... They are very similar caliber players... What doesn't make sense here...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
because even the people most on the team's side think 5.6 for nylander for 6 years is never going to happen, and comparing him to a dman is idiotic.
Comparing him to a center is idiotic and I've seen plenty of that. As for your valuation, what would Ehlers have signed for if it were a 6 year deal? I think he is in the ball park. If he is off, it isn't by more than 150k

Reactions: MyBudJT

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Only external ones that include centers? My these rules are getting complicated
There are no internal comparables on the Leafs. For the record, I never included a centre. Not sure how anyone could miss that unless they really don't pay attention very well.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
I wasn't comparing players, I was comparing cap hits... Rielly was signed by the Maple Leafs organization that have a cap structure... They are very similar caliber players... What doesn't make sense here...

why didn't we re-sign JVR? we didn't re-sign him because there is a marketplace that extends beyond the toronto maple leafs. this marketplace dictates what we sign our players to, and influences that cap structure. we don't get to simply say we sign players to team friendly deals, so that's that. why don't you take that approach with matthews and see what happens.

im all for nylander getting paid according to what the marketplace has deemed he is roughly valued at. (give or take a few hundred k) it isn't 5.6.

Reactions: hotpaws

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
There are no internal comparables on the Leafs. For the record, I never included a centre. Not sure how anyone could miss that unless they really don't pay attention very well.
Plenty of posts advocating for Larkin as a comparable yet you were conveniently silent

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
why didn't we re-sign JVR? we didn't re-sign him because there is a marketplace that extends beyond the toronto maple leafs. this marketplace dictates what we sign our players to, and influences that cap structure. we don't get to simply say we sign players to team friendly deals, so that's that. why don't you take that approach with matthews and see what happens.

im all for nylander getting paid according to what the marketplace has deemed he is roughly valued at. (give or take a few hundred k) it isn't 5.6.

This marketplace you speak of doesn't exist in the same way for RFAs... No team is going to offersheet WN right about now... WN has very little leverage right now...

If we want to remain competitive, we CANNOT overpay out players, especially the RFAs...

You look at Tampa Bay... they've got Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov on steals of contracts...
You look at Nashville... Josi, Ekholm, etc on steals of contracts
Winnipeg - Schieffelle -- Steal of a contract
Boston - Bergeron and Marchand - Steal of a contract

5.67x6 isn't all that difference than 6x7 that Ehlers got...

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

Maybe you can point out the error with an explanation. If Ehlers is 6 x 7yrs, (and that is a close comparable), how much would 6 years be? It has to be less because we are now talking about buying only 2 years of UFA opposed to 3

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
because ehlers, while a comparable, is not the only comparable. larkin at 6.1 for 5 years is another, so he got 6.1 for less years, and he only has put up 60 points once, whereas nylander has done it twice in a row. pastrnak is another comparable at 6.6, altho nylander is a step below him, but not a huge step behind him at the time of that signing.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If he's getting locked up for 8 years how is 7 mil bad?

You're not getting Nylander for 8 years for under 7 mil get real.

I agree 8 mil would be ridiculous though.

Reactions: Walshy7

kb

Aug 28, 2009
because ehlers, while a comparable, is not the only comparable. larkin at 6.1 for 5 years is another, so he got 6.1 for less years, and he only has put up 60 points once, whereas nylander has done it twice in a row. pastrnak is another comparable at 6.6, altho nylander is a step below him, but not a huge step behind him at the time of that signing.
Larkin isn't a comparable. Pastrnak and Ehlers are, along with slightly older contracts like Forsberg.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Stilling thinking a 6.5-6.75 x 7 year contract. I think that is reasonably fair for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad