Bill Ny the contractless guy (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Pretty sure Matthews and marner get bonuses which count for there cap hit. Could be wrong but think it is closer to 3 million for them both. As for 10 million for marner, a ten million dollar marner becomes a 4.5-6 million dollar weresnki/provorov/macovoy/slavin etc. If marner has a 90+ point season and asks for insane money than I would ship him out. He should be giving us a 2 million discount on his deal. The guy has always said he love this city and team and dreamed to play for us. His next contract should provide his words. I'm hoping for 6.5 willy, 7.5 mitch, and 11 both centers. 36 million is a lot on 4 guys but the cap should rise 5ish million next year and another 5 or so with Seattle coming soon.
yup they get bonuses but they don't get added into the cap when looking at say cap friendly so if you want to include them then that would come off the available cap being listed

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Anyone out there put an offer on a house and the seller said "nope...not budging on price" (or only came down a bit). You really wanted the house but you wanted at YOUR price? Walked away and figured they would come down more on the price....then the next day your agent tells you the house is sold.

At some point Dubas is going to sell the house.

Some are saying Nylander doesn't want to sign a deal "in the 6s" AAV because they Leafs could turn around and trade him. Guess what? They could trade him anyway and if it gets to mid-late November they SHOULD!

Nobody gets overpaid. Crest on the front trumps name on the back. I love that Dubas is holding firm he owes it to the organization and the fans to build this team the right way.

This is what happens when you learn from Lou and Shanny. Shanny's Detroit teams were team first nobody took too big a piece of the pie they all bought in.

Your move Willy...

Reactions: dsred

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Anyone out there put an offer on a house and the seller said "nope...not budging on price" (or only came down a bit). You really wanted the house but you wanted at YOUR price? Walked away and figured they would come down more on the price....then the next day your agent tells you the house is sold.

Some are saying Nylander doesn't want to sign a deal "in the 6s" AAV because they Leafs could turn around and trade him. Guess what? They could trade him anyway and if it gets to mid-late November they SHOULD!

Nobody gets overpaid. Crest on the front trumps name on the back. I love that Dubas is holding firm he owes it to the organization and the fans to build this team the right way.

This is what happens when you learn from Lou and Shanny. Shanny's Detroit teams were team first nobody took too big a piece of the pie they all bought in.

Your move Willy...
They would be trading him from a position of weakness if they did that. Dubas will just outwait the Nylander camp. There's no reason to rush signing him. The Leafs have all the power in this negotiation. All Nylander can do is sit out some games until he gives in and signs. Which would cost him money. They know that so they will sign probably before or not long after the first game.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Your move Willy...
does this go for Mathews and Marner as well ?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Ok, but it's Calgary that needs to make that call not you.
I don't see them trading for a guy, signing him to a decent contract and then trading him for a winger that they don't really need.
I mean Calgary may not make that deal, that is true. I was talking value wise.

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Pretty sure Matthews and marner get bonuses which count for there cap hit. Could be wrong but think it is closer to 3 million for them both. As for 10 million for marner, a ten million dollar marner becomes a 4.5-6 million dollar weresnki/provorov/macovoy/slavin etc. If marner has a 90+ point season and asks for insane money than I would ship him out. He should be giving us a 2 million discount on his deal. The guy has always said he love this city and team and dreamed to play for us. His next contract should provide his words. I'm hoping for 6.5 willy, 7.5 mitch, and 11 both centers. 36 million is a lot on 4 guys but the cap should rise 5ish million next year and another 5 or so with Seattle coming soon.
9 Players in the league had 90+ points last year and only 3 are 24 and younger and none as young as Marner. You would never get an equal piece back and would lose the trade

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
wait hang on, when Matthews and marner's deals kick in they will take their salaries from 900K (roughly) to $10M plus. Lets say $10M each for arguments sake, would that not now be adding $9.1M for each player to the cap that wasn't there the year before? so $18.2M more cap than this year?.

right now we have $13M with willy to sign lets say he gets $6.5 (I don't want to argue about nylander being overpaid at that price) that means $6.5 is left and lets use that, couple that with Gardiner and hainsey not resigning that's $7M so we would be at $13.5. Then there are 5 other RFA's next offseason lets call them $1M each so $5 more million to the kitty. $18.5.

We get to Matthews and Marners $18.2 with 8 more roster players still needed to get to 23 man roster, how much do you think the cap will rise? we only have Nathan Horton's get out of jail card for this season and next. This doesn't even inluced RFA/UFA's that are on the marlies, and I think $10M for Matthews is going to be low too.

Could be way off here but its tighter than you think
We have 13.3m right now in cap space and we need to save money for bonuses. This cap space includes a carry over of 2.55 in bonus money that will be added to our cap space as we will not spend the cap space that we need for this years bonuses to carry then forward. We can even add at the deadline some positional depth. So we will have 15.85 in cap space.

We have Gardiner and Haisney coming off the cap as well as Carrick which we can replace with about 2.3m and save 6.2 m add that to the Horton contract of 5m we have 11.2 million. So total of 27.05m to sign players with out the cap space going up at all. Thus takes into consideration that all of our UFA resign at a similar cap hit.
Is 27m enough to sign all 3... Willy at 6.75, Marner at 9m and Mathews at 11.25 is 27m

The increase in cap space can be sheared among our young RFA players. The following year we have an additional 11.5 million coming off the cap and it cost us one player Marleau and then Horton is gone. We will then be able to add in areas of need.

The better our Young D man play over the next two seasons the more money we will have to look for the missing pieces.

Like I said earlier it will only cost us Gardiner.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We have 13.3m right now in cap space and we need to save money for bonuses. This cap space includes a carry over of 2.55 in bonus money that will be added to our cap space as we will not spend the cap space that we need for this years bonuses to carry then forward. We can even add at the deadline some positional depth. So we will have 15.85 in cap space.

We have Gardiner and Haisney coming off the cap as well as Carrick which we can replace with about 2.3m and save 6.2 m add that to the Horton contract of 5m we have 11.2 million. So total of 27.05m to sign players with out the cap space going up at all. Thus takes into consideration that all of our UFA resign at a similar cap hit.
Is 27m enough to sign all 3... Willy at 6.75, Marner at 9m and Mathews at 11.25 is 27m

The increase in cap space can be sheared among our young RFA players. The following year we have an additional 11.5 million coming off the cap and it cost us one player Marleau and then Horton is gone. We will then be able to add in areas of need.

The better our Young D man play over the next two seasons the more money we will have to look for the missing pieces.

Yeah another poster pointed out I missed the elc bonuses. We will need to sign 2 top 4 D and lower level forwards though, assuming none of our current d get to top 4 level

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Realistically I think Nylander signs long term at a 6.5 million annual hit. Marner signs a long term deal at an annual hit of 7.75 and Matthews at 10 million per. Keep in mind Marner and Matthews both were involved in the Tavares signing. Tavares coming here and take 2 million less to do so, was because he was given assurances by both players that they would sign long term. If Tavares took less, so will everyone else. Its only a matter of time before it all comes out.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
so if M&M sign over priced offer sheets which they always are the odd time they get signed you're saying we take the picks and let them walk ?

lol , yea right

Hypothetically yes if Marner signed an offersheet for 10M and his comparables were 8-8.5 yes you let him go and take the 4 first rounders.

That would prove to Dubas that Marner put priority on getting the extra money (1.5M more per season translates to rougly 800-900K after taxes give or take). If that means more to Marner than being on a winning team that he grew up dreaming of playing for ---> then Marner lost the plot and I'd be sorry to see him go but I'd shake his hand and say good luck.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
dubas talked about getting the big 3 to buy in didn't he? I assumed he meant they'd need to take a bit less. So if dubas is offering Nylander a bit less to win but Nylander then sees at the 1st sign of cap trouble he is out the door why sign that discount? why help the team only to end up on the team friendly contract in some ****hole like Arizona? get the full amount he thinks he is worth then if traded he knows he isn't being paid less to play for some team who will never contend
Problem is we don't know what Nylander actually wants but if that amount is prohibitive to the Leafs he'll be traded anyway.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What confuses me is that the agent actually thinks that by Willy sitting out camp that the Leafs offer would actually increase. That's the beef I have with the Nylander camp. Just arrogant thinking by his agent. Rubs me the wrong way

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad