Bill Ny the contractless guy (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If he's getting locked up for 8 years how is 7 mil bad?

You're not getting Nylander for 8 years for under 7 mil get real.

I agree 8 mil would be ridiculous though.

Pasta had 34 goals and 70 points in 75 games at a year younger than William is now and got paid 6.6 million. Not only has pasta significantly outscored Nylander... but anyone who has watched the two go head to head... it's easy to see that Pasta plays with significantly more heart and hustle.

1 for 1... I would take Pasta in a heart beat.

6.6 absolute max for Nylander, and I think that would be being generous.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
because ehlers, while a comparable, is not the only comparable. larkin at 6.1 for 5 years is another, so he got 6.1 for less years, and he only has put up 60 points once, whereas nylander has done it twice in a row. pastrnak is another comparable at 6.6, altho nylander is a step below him, but not a huge step behind him at the time of that signing.
Larkin is a center comparable

Reactions: iSophagus

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Pasta had 34 goals and 70 points in 75 games at a year younger than William is now and got paid 6.6 million. Not only has pasta significantly outscored Nylander... but anyone who has watched the two go head to head... it's easy to see that Pasta plays with significantly more heart and hustle.

You didn't look at the years did you?

Pasta signed for 6 the above scenario is a full 8, that means your buying all his prime UFA years, those won't be cheap since his age that will effect his 3rd contract

Reactions: Walshy7

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

U are 100% correct. That is the difference between Nylander and Pasta, compete level. Pasta contract is also not a great barometer because he is under paid. Nylander can reach Pasta's ceiling if he was driven but it does not look like he is. Nylander deserves 6.5 max. I think 6 million on a 3 year deal. I think he will get traded before the Leafs ever make a cup run.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
When does a situation like this ever benefit the player after all is said and done?

Negotiations usually begin with two parties starting at two different sides and then eventually meeting finding middle ground. But, the middle ground is so obvious in this case that I’m having a tough time understanding what the hold-up is from Nylander’s end. I get Willy’s team coming in at $8M or higher as part of the overall negotiation, but there is only one other player at that number who can be considered a comparable. I understand wanting to test out the young GM, but, at this point, who’s failing this test and the overall negotiation?

The first Twitter reply under Bob’s tweet made me read the article. The piece is discussing Michael Nylander’s reputation. It has been reported that Will’s dad has been a prominent part of this contract process with his son. Here is an excerpt from an article published on Sportsnet.ca last October titled “ Sins of a father”:

“The year he (Nylander) became a full-time pro, splitting the season between Sodertalje, Modo, and Rogle, he scored 16 goals in 57 games. He had no holes in his skill set; he was elite in every facet of the offensive game. There was only one red flag, and it was one that he had no control over: his father.

In his long NHL career, Michael Nylander had crossed paths with many of the NHL executives and scouts who were evaluating his son, and Michael Nylander hadn’t made a great impression on many of them. In the opinion of one NHL scout who had played with him, “He was a talented guy but a me-first type, selfish. He wasn’t a coach killer, but he wasn’t committed to the team concept. If he gets his goals, gets his contract . . . whatever he can get out of it.”

Another who played with Michael called him “the worst teammate I ever had . . . it was always all about him.”
That Michael played for himself was a common view. Not that he was poison in the dressing room — it was just that he wasn’t what guys thought of as a good soldier, not even a soldier for hire, or a teammate first.“

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
When does a situation like this ever benefit the player after all is said and done?

Negotiations usually begin with two parties starting at two different sides and then eventually meeting finding middle ground. But, the middle ground is so obvious in this case that I’m having a tough time understanding what the hold-up is from Nylander’s end. I get Willy’s team coming in at $8M or higher as part of the overall negotiation, but there is only one other player at that number who can be considered a comparable. I understand wanting to test out the young GM, but, at this point, who’s failing this test and the overall negotiation?

The first Twitter reply under Bob’s tweet made me read the article. The piece is discussing Michael Nylander’s reputation. It has been reported that Will’s dad has been a prominent part of this contract process with his son. Here is an excerpt from an article published on Sportsnet.ca last October titled “ Sins of a father”:

“The year he (Nylander) became a full-time pro, splitting the season between Sodertalje, Modo, and Rogle, he scored 16 goals in 57 games. He had no holes in his skill set; he was elite in every facet of the offensive game. There was only one red flag, and it was one that he had no control over: his father.

In his long NHL career, Michael Nylander had crossed paths with many of the NHL executives and scouts who were evaluating his son, and Michael Nylander hadn’t made a great impression on many of them. In the opinion of one NHL scout who had played with him, “He was a talented guy but a me-first type, selfish. He wasn’t a coach killer, but he wasn’t committed to the team concept. If he gets his goals, gets his contract . . . whatever he can get out of it.”

Another who played with Michael called him “the worst teammate I ever had . . . it was always all about him.”
That Michael played for himself was a common view. Not that he was poison in the dressing room — it was just that he wasn’t what guys thought of as a good soldier, not even a soldier for hire, or a teammate first.“

1. It benefits Willy directly if he makes 4-8 million more over the course of this contract. I mean, I know hes a millionaire now, but millions more dollars is nothing to sneeze at

2. Players should never be criticized for not trying to earn every cent they can, particularly in a sport where the risk of severe injury is relatively high and hsi earning potential could be greatly diminished.

3. The criticism of Michael Nylander here is ridiculous, the 2nd quote in particular. What do you suppose a fringe NHLer would say about Willy? Probably not flattering. What do you suppose Marner or Matthews say? Probably they are fully supportive of the situation because they themselves will be it next summer

4. William is not his father

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
A lot of us would be in deep trouble if we where automaticly seen as moronic as our parents. I hope people are smarter than that.

M Nylander was great in "Tre kronor" but known for taking long shifts, loved to play hockey, realy wanted to win.
Worked well with Jagr who also was known for being selfish. Selfish players can contribute as much or more than nonselfish. Depends on the skillset.

But nothing at this time suggest than Will is selfish.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Oh, come on... I wrote that post on my iphone (hense the typos!) ;)

Plus, it HAS been reported 8 x 6.25 (ish) is the ask VIA dubas... I forget the source that I heard... I think it was on the radio... but here are a couple other reports suggesting its in that ballpark.

via dubas? I see nothing there from dubas? I see dreger's 8m which he retracted the same day. And bourne essentially saying the same as dreger and speculating to me. No fact there

Reactions: iSophagus

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
Morning my fellow Leaf fans, did anyone else see Nylander post "Coming soon" on twitter last night with two emoticons which were a pen and paper? It was deleted soon after. My apologies if this is old news

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think this agent is just a huge pain in the ass...

Also, that McKenzie tweet is kinda meaningless considering Theodore signed a few hours after the "no progress on Theodore"

even McKenzie has no info on these contract negotiations yet everyone wants to keep spouting off about nylander being greedy because he is asking for $8M? Which dreger retracted, yet still gets brought up

Reactions: Trawna Phan

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You just don't know good contracts man...Ehlers is on a great deal and inflation is pushing the numbers up

And you can't use Inflation as a bargianing chip, since both Nylander and Ehlers were set to be RFAs the same year.

Ehlers signed a year earlier. Vegas was a new team that paid 500M to have a team... it was pretty well known that the cap was going to go up to the 80M ballpark.

There is no cap inflation when using an Ehlers comparable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->