Bill Ny the contractless guy (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This marketplace you speak of doesn't exist in the same way for RFAs... No team is going to offersheet WN right about now... WN has very little leverage right now...

If we want to remain competitive, we CANNOT overpay out players, especially the RFAs...

You look at Tampa Bay... they've got Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov on steals of contracts...
You look at Nashville... Josi, Ekholm, etc on steals of contracts
Winnipeg - Schieffelle -- Steal of a contract
Boston - Bergeron and Marchand - Steal of a contract

5.67x6 isn't all that difference than 6x7 that Ehlers got...
Willy long term at 6.5...would be a steal of a contract, so I'm not sure of your point here.

Reactions: Walshy7
Mar 14, 2015
Pasta had 34 goals and 70 points in 75 games at a year younger than William is now and got paid 6.6 million. Not only has pasta significantly outscored Nylander... but anyone who has watched the two go head to head... it's easy to see that Pasta plays with significantly more heart and hustle.

1 for 1... I would take Pasta in a heart beat.

6.6 absolute max for Nylander, and I think that would be being generous.
Max is 6.6 for you on a 8 year deal? Well good luck with that.

srnd9399

Apr 10, 2018
NB, Canada
GetFileAttachment

Posted last night, then deleted an hour later. As someone already said apparently it was fake, but it certainly got some fans hopes up!! Hope he signs soon and not overpaid

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Position difference aside, I think I find the Theodore re-signing a bigger reason for optimism compared to the other recent re-signings just because it's a long-term deal. Hopefully the negotiation is coming closer to its conclusion and wrapping up in time for the regular season.

Reactions: MyBudJT

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
I finally figured it out!
Nylander has been thinking Ritchie is his best comparable all along.

Harold Howard - "so we'll see.."

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
IF you were to believe Dreger, it would be awesome if the Leafs were holding strong at high 5 mills

No way they're pushing long term and high $5M. That's as ridiculous as Nylander wanting $8M.

Pay a player what they're worth. If you want him to be better than all these comparable players then pay him accordingly (not Draisaitl - that deal is just bad). $6.65M-$6.85M. This deal should be long done as it is quite obvious what the dollars should be.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I understand that but it would make a lot of sense if that were the case. If Leafs were willing to give mid 6s then it would be done
it wouldn't be done if the Leafs were offering mid 6's for 7/8 yrs

Dreger was speculating just like we've been doing for thousands of posts and hearing pretty much the exact same thing from him that you read in this thread carries no more weight .

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Dreger was just speculating just like we've been doing for thousands of posts and hearing pretty much the exact same thing from him that you read in this thread carries no more weight .

It’s not my fault you’ve been posting thousands of posts about this topic. I was just stating my opinion, you were the one to respond to it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Dreger was just speculating just like we've been doing for thousands of posts and hearing pretty much the exact same thing from him that you read in this thread carries no more weight .

Speaking of speculating, during the intermission a couple games back now Elliot Friedman was saying that from his "sources" he believes that all 3 of the kids don't want to have a big gap difference in their next long term contracts.

He was suggesting that Nylander and Marner next deals being essentially $1 mil or less in difference on term.

Matthews @$11 mil and Marner at ~$8.5 mil- $9 and Nylander $7.5 mil to $8 in demands.

Makes one wonder if the 3 amigo's are negotiating as the 3 Musketeers as in their motto "One for all and all for one".. It would perhaps explain why none of the new contracts are done.

one-for-all-all-for-one-1-728.jpg

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Speaking of speculating, during the intermission a couple games back now Elliot Friedman was saying that from his "sources" he believes that all 3 of the kids don't want to have a big gap difference in their next long term contracts.

He was suggesting that Nylander and Marner next deals being essentially $1 mil or less in difference on term.

Matthews @$11 mil and Marner at ~$8.5 mil- $9 and Nylander $7.5 mil to $8 in demands.

Makes one wonder if the 3 amigo's are negotiating as the 3 Musketeers as in their motto "One for all and all for one"

i'm guessing at these numbers they're not buying into Dubie's "vision"

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
On Leafs Lunch yesterday, Andi mused that one of the reasons Willie is holding out is he is concerned that if he signs a mid to low $6 mil contract that makes him easier to trade than if he signs in the 7's or 8's, one of the other commentators on the show said that where his dad played on 7 teams in the NHL he knows better than anyone, you are just a commodity and he could be influencing his son's decision making.

Interesting slant on the contract discussions. I think it's not just one thing, I think its a little from column "A" a little from column "B" a little from column "C" , he want to get paid, he wants assurances that he will not be traded, he wants assurances that he will get good ice time (believe it or not agents try to negotiate this, IE my player will get X amount of ATOI, will play on the PP at least X amount of ATOI each year, etc.)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
On Leafs Lunch yesterday, Andi mused that one of the reasons Willie is holding out is he is concerned that if he signs a mid to low $6 mil contract that makes him easier to trade than if he signs in the 7's or 8's, one of the other commentators on the show said that where his dad played on 7 teams in the NHL he knows better than anyone, you are just a commodity and he could be influencing his son's decision making.

Interesting slant on the contract discussions. I think it's not just one thing, I think its a little from column "A" a little from column "B" a little from column "C" , he want to get paid, he wants assurances that he will not be traded, he wants assurances that he will get good ice time (believe it or not agents try to negotiate this, IE my player will get X amount of ATOI, will play on the PP at least X amount of ATOI each year, etc.)

If Hyman can get a partial NTC....... :)

Reactions: iSophagus

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Makes one wonder if the 3 amigo's are negotiating as the 3 Musketeers as in their motto "One for all and all for one".. It would perhaps explain why none of the new contracts are done.

I doubt it, seems (from the outside looking in) that Marner and Matthews are best buds but they aren't that close to nylander to say "all 3 of us sign similar numbers". Marner and Matthews I can totally see that which is dangerous because marner isn't close to Matthews in value, so unless Matthews is planning on a discount that would raise marner AAV pretty high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad