Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
40 points (nearly half on the PP), -28, 45% faceoff doesnt scream "im a good center"

+/- is one of the most overrated stats in the NHL.

Spurgeon was a -2 last season; and in the playoffs Suter was a -4, and Spurgeon -6...scream good defenseman right?

Reinhart prefers being a center, is a right-handed shot and has improved on his face offs. He had 25 goals in 54 games, and was on pace for 38 goals in 82 games and 63 points in 82 - while playing on arguably the worst team in the past decade in the NHL.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
+/- is one of the most overrated stats in the NHL.

Spurgeon was a -2 last season; and in the playoffs Suter was a -4, and Spurgeon -6...scream good defenseman right?

Reinhart prefers being a center, is a right-handed shot and has improved on his face offs. He had 25 goals in 54 games, and was on pace for 38 goals in 82 games and 63 points in 82 - while playing on arguably the worst team in the past decade in the NHL.

if he was that good at center he wouldve been playing there as 2c this whole time once Oreilly left. 1 short stint of "decent" play doesnt mean youre good. "improved on faceoffs" his faceoffs were on the same level as victor rask. Im not giving up a 22 first and a prospect for a player thats played the majority of his career at wing and then expecting him to be our 1c. Do you not remember johansson? howd that experiment go?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
if he was that good at center he wouldve been playing there as 2c this whole time once Oreilly left. 1 short stint of "decent" play doesnt mean youre good. "improved on faceoffs" his faceoffs were on the same level as victor rask. Im not giving up a 22 first and a prospect for a player thats played the majority of his career at wing and then expecting him to be our 1c. Do you not remember johansson? howd that experiment go?

He did ask to play center, but they didn't move him to center. It wasn't until they fired his coach that they moved him over and he did much better there.

Johansson =/= Reinhart.

I mean how did the Staal experiment go?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
He did ask to play center, but they didn't move him to center. It wasn't until they fired his coach that they moved him over and he did much better there.

Johansson =/= Reinhart.

I mean how did the Staal experiment go?

what staal experiment? Staal has played center over 90% of his career.

and if a player is good at center and asks to play center will play center...

the only reason reinhart played center was because eichel was hurt and they had no one to fill in.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
well, being that we already have 2 players that are better than reinhart playing RW, i think that answers your question.
I have a hard time finding 1 that is better. Fiala? Reinhart has him beat in career bests in Goals, assists, points, Power play goals, PPP, shooting percentage, plays better defense.

If you put Reinhart on this team last year and Fiala on Buffalo. Who do you think has the better season?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I really wanted nothing to do with Reinhart, but we definitely could and should have beat that package from Florida. The only reason to not make that deal is if BG has a legitimate Plan B other than Eichel.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I have a hard time finding 1 that is better. Fiala? Reinhart has him beat in career bests in Goals, assists, points, Power play goals, PPP, shooting percentage, plays better defense.

If you put Reinhart on this team last year and Fiala on Buffalo. Who do you think has the better season?

if you look at the last 2 years (full seasons fiala has been here) Fiala and Kap are both better.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I wish I knew why career totals mattered, at all.

You want to talk about situations the players were put in? Reinhart plays more minutes, almost all of them stapled to the hip of Buffalo's best players, which, as much as we like to make fun of Buffalo, were better than Marcus Johansson and Ryan Hartman.

So put Fiala with Eichel for 5 years and tell me who has the better career totals.

Reactions: GuerinUp

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
what staal experiment? Staal has played center over 90% of his career.

and if a player is good at center and asks to play center will play center...

the only reason reinhart played center was because eichel was hurt and they had no one to fill in.

We signed Staal when he bombed out in New York and most thought he couldn't play anymore.

They were also using Reinhart at center last season and he's been bounced back and forth. He's also never really played with talent over in Buffalo.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We signed Staal when he bombed out in New York and most thought he couldn't play anymore.

They were also using Reinhart at center last season and he's been bounced back and forth. He's also never really played with talent over in Buffalo.

So we're just making shit up now, is that it?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I wish I knew why career totals mattered, at all.

You want to talk about situations the players were put in? Reinhart plays more minutes, almost all of them stapled to the hip of Buffalo's best players, which, as much as we like to make fun of Buffalo, were better than Marcus Johansson and Ryan Hartman.

So put Fiala with Eichel for 5 years and tell me who has the better career totals.
That why i said career best and not career totals.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

He bombed in New York because he was played out of position in a role he is ill-suited for.

You could watch his play just before in Carolina and see he still had game if you could get him motivated.

By the time we let him go, it wasn't just a lack of motivation like he had in Carolina, he was just losing his game completely that last year here, but we all saw the lack of internal answers as a replacement, so were still surprised he was dumped for a bag of pucks. The timing proved absolutely right though. As bad as Rask is, he is now less bad than Staal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Kap is playing LW, so I agree he is better but honestly a Kaprizvov- Reinhart - Fiala line would be sexy.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be an improvement (we're terrible down the middle), but I don't think I'd use the term sexy. Where we're coming from is clouding our vision.

If we were a team that was used to having good centers, would he really look all that appealing as an option?

He looked like a gamble worth trying, sure... but he was by no means even close to the Trocheck option we passed on earlier. Trocheck was a proven top 6 center option that could've been had affordably because he was coming back from a leg injury.

Reinhart is not, IMO, a proven top 6 center. He's a proven top 6 wing, that has the ability to move to center, but not a proven full time center.

We had one of those before, his name is Coyle, he's still not established full time as a center, as surprise... Boston is as frustrated by his center vs wing play as we were.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We don't even know that Florida views him as a center either. What would it do for your arguments if Florida is planning to use him as a right wing?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Kap is playing LW, so I agree he is better but honestly a Kaprizvov- Reinhart - Fiala line would be sexy.

kap wasnt playing left wing literally every game i watched.... that was zucc... i encourage you to go rewatch games and youll see kap is on the right side of the ice 90% of the time.

edit: i could however be wrong, i just remember seeing zucc carry on the left majority of games

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Fiala's pace over the past two seasons is better than Reinhart's career best

Fiala's pace this season was 66 points - 33 goals, 33 assists
Fiala's pace last season was 70 points- 30 goals, 40 assists

Reinhart's pace this season was 61 points - 38 goals, 23 assists
Reinhart's pace last season was 59 points -26 goals, 33 assists

Fiala's pace the past two seasons are (1) point and (5) points higher than Reinhart's best.

Reinhart though has scored more goals than Fiala has.

Reinhart's pace on goals this past season is better than Fiala's career best, Reinhart's career best in assists is better than Fiala's.

I got to question if Fiala would be better than Reinhart if they switched places. Reinhart's assist total is really, really low but that could be just the talent in Buffalo is terrible. But Reinhart was on pace for 38 goals this season. He's been a 25-30 goal scorer until this season when he exploded.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

thats not even in the same atmosphere of experiments, 1 staal was signed as a FA and cost us nothing except minimal cap space, 2 staal had already proved throughout a lengthy career that he was a good center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad