Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Adding nothing to that team compared to looking at where the current team is at is an indictment.
I think the team looks better up front. People are going to screech about the Suter buyout, but if he was a problem behind the scenes then it makes sense. I also don't think he was that fantastic of player he was prior to his major surgery. His skating has been awful for a couple seasons now. If you add Boldy and Rossi and takeaway Johansson and Bonino, is that a net loss in your opinion? I think at worst it is even with a ton of potential to be better.

I think if BG made any mistake it was not trading off the UFAs for draft picks/prospects.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
I think if BG made any mistake it was not trading off the UFAs for draft picks/prospects.

This and the Menell giveaway are my real issues. He isn't giving any real indication that he's trying to rebuild rather than just bumbling around trying to assemble a competitive roster when the team really isn't in a position to do so. So he looks pretty incompetent at the moment.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm not saying every single move BBB made has been perfect, but I don't understand what people thought was going to happen with this team. We weren't exactly a great team when he took over. Our prospect pool at the time was meh, with Kap as the one gem. Since then our prospect pool has become top notch, and the team has outperformed expectations both years. I think he's played a large part in both of those things happening.

Outside of the league giving us an easy way out with LTIR on the Parise/Suter contracts, there was no way out of our current scenario. Waiting for one/both of them to retire would've f***ed us even further down the road so I honestly don't know what people thought could be done. I guess everyone's pissed the league didn't give the team a free pass like they seem to do with other teams, which I agree is bs, but that's not GMBG's fault. At the very least it feels like he's building towards the future despite the shit hand he started with, and doing an ok job at it as far as I'm concerned.

Hey hey hey hey... Stop it. DOOM AND GLOOM ONLY!!

but, I generally agree with your thoughts. I'm underwhelmed with the off-season thus far,but there's a lot of off-season left and I'm not convinced FA had much to offer us. We'll see what the team looks like in October. I have to imagine that when he sold the S&P buyouts to Leipold there was a well thought out plan in place and me, being an optimist, I have to imagine we are chugging along on the early stages of that plan.

I hope....

Reactions: HobeyBroten

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm not saying every single move BBB made has been perfect, but I don't understand what people thought was going to happen with this team. We weren't exactly a great team when he took over. Our prospect pool at the time was meh, with Kap as the one gem. Since then our prospect pool has become top notch, and the team has outperformed expectations both years. I think he's played a large part in both of those things happening.

Outside of the league giving us an easy way out with LTIR on the Parise/Suter contracts, there was no way out of our current scenario. Waiting for one/both of them to retire would've f***ed us even further down the road so I honestly don't know what people thought could be done. I guess everyone's pissed the league didn't give the team a free pass like they seem to do with other teams, which I agree is bs, but that's not GMBG's fault. At the very least it feels like he's building towards the future despite the shit hand he started with, and doing an ok job at it as far as I'm concerned.

Actually the cap hit from recapture is lower than their buyout cap hit.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I think the team looks better up front. People are going to screech about the Suter buyout, but if he was a problem behind the scenes then it makes sense. I also don't think he was that fantastic of player he was prior to his major surgery. His skating has been awful for a couple seasons now. If you add Boldy and Rossi and takeaway Johansson and Bonino, is that a net loss in your opinion? I think at worst it is even with a ton of potential to be better.

To be clear, he had an NHL team positioned well, with multiple players having career type years, knowing full well his team would be markedly worse the following year after expansion, planned buyouts, and significant contracts needed for Fiala and Kaprizov. He made the decision to go into the playoffs with Rask, Hartman, and Sturm at three of the four center positions.

In doing so, he’s likely pissed away his only opportunity he will ever have with this franchise at making a run in the playoffs.

That’s ignoring mindless things like jerking around young players on easy contracts with the likes of Menell and even Boldy which is a simple entry deal to his best prospect. Never mind the fact he’s still yet to add to a dismal center position. As well as the “plan” for the defensive corps for next year turning out to be a laugher.

I don’t really care about the future direction of this team as he won’t be here to see it come to fruition on whatever his plan is. If the plan is to be terrible, sure, let’s do it. Tear it down. Let’s just commit to something. He doesn’t even have a direction at this point as everything is contradictory.

physicaIgraffiti

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Actually the cap hit from recapture is lower than their buyout cap hit.

I couldn't find the numbers from a quick search but if I'm remembering correctly from that Russo article about it, the cap hit would have continued for multiple years past the 24-25 season. I know it technically does now due to the buyout (at a much lower number), but it would've been in the $6-7M range possibly into 28-29, depending on when they retired. No thanks.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The real question. You just used 12 million dollar in cap space this coming year for one LHD slot (Suter buyout plus Goligoski).
What was the specific issue or situation which caused such a drastic decision?
That question will never get an answer

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To be clear, he had an NHL team positioned well, with multiple players having career type years, knowing full well his team would be markedly worse the following year after expansion, planned buyouts, and significant contracts needed for Fiala and Kaprizov. He made the decision to go into the playoffs with Rask, Hartman, and Sturm at three of the four center positions.

In doing so, he’s likely pissed away his only opportunity he will ever have with this franchise at making a run in the playoffs.

That’s ignoring mindless things like jerking around young players on easy contracts with the likes of Menell and even Boldy which is a simple entry deal to his best prospect. Never mind the fact he’s still yet to add to a dismal center position. As well as the “plan” for the defensive corps for next year turning out to be a laugher.

I don’t really care about the future direction of this team as he won’t be here to see it come to fruition on whatever his plan is. If the plan is to be terrible, sure, let’s do it. Tear it down. Let’s just commit to something. He doesn’t even have a direction at this point as everything is contradictory.
Don't forget not being able to sign Lindberg. Seemed like it should have been a layup, and couldn't get it done.

Main thing is that he re-signs Fiala and KK on reasonable contracts, and get help at C. Doesn't have to be Eichel...if they want too much, they want too much, but someone is necessary.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
As I know this is a bash thread, just coming and leaving.

But wanted to say I am personally in favour but slightly wary about navigating the cap space. We have reached the playoffs while improving our futures x2. There has never been a time where we had players like Kap, Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt, Lambos. Even JEE and Fiala are 25 and under.

Remember when we were a playoff team but all we had was Colton Gillies as our #1 guy? Okay, said my peace.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As I know this is a bash thread, just coming and leaving.

But wanted to say I am personally in favour but slightly wary about navigating the cap space. We have reached the playoffs while improving our futures x2. There has never been a time where we had players like Kap, Boldy, Rossi, Wallstedt, Lambos. Even JEE and Fiala are 25 and under.

Remember when we were a playoff team but all we had was Colton Gillies as our #1 guy? Okay, said my peace.

I do like the prospect side of things, though that opens a potential can of worms as well now (post buyouts).

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
My guess is that the real plan is to:

1. Remain competitive enough to sell tickets while the Parise and Suter contracts are coming off the books.
2. Identify the players on the current team that you still want around once recapture is over.
3. Eventually trade those you can't afford to keep (I bet Greenway is gone at some point).
4. Build through the draft while you are in cap hell.
5. Once recapture is over ice a competitive team with the assets preserved from the current version of the team and the prospects we get from Brackett's good drafting.
6. Never mention the terms rebuild or retool.

Obviously this is not a plan a team would make public, because they are in the business of selling tickets, jerseys and television advertising and they want to maintain as much interest as possible. But from a pragmatic standpoint it may be the best long term plan. Long term you keep the players that will keep the culture of the team so that when good young players make it to the show they are coming into a room that will teach them how to be professionals and to keep their heads straight. You also want to keep players that are young enough and good enough that they will still be contributing once the Wild's window is open again. Who? Obviously Kaprizov, probably Spurgeon and Brodin, Eriksson Ek and at least one of Fiala or Dumba, ideally both. If you add the current and future prospects to that core you probably have a great team once you have money to work with again. It gives you a good mix of veterans and youth down the line, but not for a few years.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
My guess is that the real plan is to:

1. Remain competitive enough to sell tickets while the Parise and Suter contracts are coming off the books.
2. Identify the players on the current team that you still want around once recapture is over.
3. Eventually trade those you can't afford to keep (I bet Greenway is gone at some point).
4. Build through the draft while you are in cap hell.
5. Once recapture is over ice a competitive team with the assets preserved from the current version of the team and the prospects we get from Brackett's good drafting.
6. Never mention the terms rebuild or retool.

Obviously this is not a plan a team would make public, because they are in the business of selling tickets, jerseys and television advertising and they want to maintain as much interest as possible. But from a pragmatic standpoint it may be the best long term plan. Long term you keep the players that will keep the culture of the team so that when good young players come into the league they are coming into a room that will point them in the right direction. You also want to keep players that are young enough and good enough that they will still be contributing once the Wild's window is open again. Who? Obviously Kaprizov, probably Spurgeon and Brodin, Eriksson Ek and at least one of Fiala or Dumba, ideally both. If you add the current and future prospects to that core you probably have a great team once you have money to work with again.
I’m just glad someone out this into text. I mean it really isn’t/wasn’t that far to see what the actual plan would be

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Wanting to reel the franchise back and take a pragmatic approach is certainly a reasonable option and one that the fan base would support I believe. Especially if they come out and actually say so. There has been a large segment of the fan base wanting that forever.

Granted, this is harder to do when you have your first franchise type player since Gaborik, if not ever. And that player would likely need to be moved under that approach but still, I think there would be support.

Taking an approach of remaining competitive but not really going for it is the worst thing they could do with the very real constraints they have coming. There is no room for error and there will be error. I believe you either need to go for it and make legitimate moves to surround the talent they do have or tear it down.

Especially when there is legitimate generational type talent that projects to go #1 overall in the next two drafts. This isn’t the time to dip a toe into the pool.

Reactions: guitarhunterdude

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I do like the prospect side of things, though that opens a potential can of worms as well now (post buyouts).

Had to reply :) This, for me, is the more interesting question and way to really judge BG as a GM, more than moves like Menell or his center search (that problem is hard to solve and may need to be done via draft, which is a long process).

He made every effort to get rid of the old boys club, even at the expense of the team such as buyouts and trading Staal for kind of useless Johansson. Now that he has done that, it doesn't seem efficient if he also can't keep the young core that's suppose to replace that club and be the new people. Then its just getting rid of people for the sake getting rid of people. For me, this is the true test.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Oh boy Guerin is being trashed on twitter by Wild fans, they want him fired. But they don't understand this is probably a long term plan approved by the owner. That being said, Guerin has failed on some of these players he tried to sign, looks like he can't ink Ian Cole either.

I don't want to think about reactions if there are any bad contract news when it comes to Kaprizov and Fiala.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Oh boy Guerin is being trashed on twitter by Wild fans, they want him fired. But they don't understand this is probably a long term plan approved by the owner. That being said, Guerin has failed on some of these players he tried to sign, looks like he can't ink Ian Cole either.

I don't want to think about reactions if there are any bad contract news when it comes to Kaprizov and Fiala.
Twitter is a cess pool. I would take anything that happens on Twitter all that serious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->