Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd disagree with that as I'm certain there are fans here who not only want Guerin to know what they think but are absolutely sure they could do a better job.... laughable as that may be.
I'm sure that there are fans that think all kinds of things, but since this is a hockey forum and not a psychoanalyst's couch we'll set that line of thought aside.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Suter's buyout isn't necessary to you...you aren't the GM or the owner.
Again...make the deals you want here while also sending money out as that's what now needs to happen. It's not going to be just a futures deal to get it done.
Your opinion of the contracts...not the GM's.
You not knowing the plan doesn't mean he doesn't have one.
Doug Risebrough used to talk about a mythic 5 year plan... he clearly didn't have one.

Just because someone claims they have a plan, doesn't mean it's any good, or that it really infact exists.

You can only judge by actions taken, compare to other actions taken, then try to make sense of them.

If they don't make sense, it's likely the person either doesn't have a good plan, or there isn't really a detailed blueprint at all.

I'm not ready to string Guerin up for anything, but his moves since taking over seem mostly short sighted and scattershot in nature, with a lot of sitting on his hands doing nothing in between.

How the rest of this summer plays out will be telling though.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I like what Guerin is doing - given the situation he was hired into, he has been ruthless getting rid of older guys, or other guys that were overpaid.

He has started a youth movement, keep and acquire picks, build up the foundation. The Wild he inherited were very top-heavy with old wood. He trimmed it all away, and while he will pay a penalty down the road, he now has absolute contol of his team's destiny.

The farm system looks better than it has in a long time for depth and interesting prospects.

Meanwhile Chuck Fletcher ships a 1st and next year's 2nd for Rasmus Ristoliainen.

CF has and will always have a house of cards philosophy, win now, with marginal teams.

BG is building a solid foundation, sparing us the AHL vets we usually get to fill in.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I like what Guerin is doing - given the situation he was hired into, he has been ruthless getting rid of older guys, or other guys that were overpaid.

He has started a youth movement, keep and acquire picks, build up the foundation. The Wild he inherited were very top-heavy with old wood. He trimmed it all away, and while he will pay a penalty down the road, he now has absolute contol of his team's destiny.

The farm system looks better than it has in a long time for depth and interesting prospects.

Meanwhile Chuck Fletcher ships a 1st and next year's 2nd for Rasmus Ristoliainen.

CF has and will always have a house of cards philosophy, win now, with marginal teams.

BG is building a solid foundation, sparing us the AHL vets we usually get to fill in.
Jared Spurgeon

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I'd guess he has a very high opinion of Spurgeon, as do a lot of hockey people. 38 is a better year to end an outrageous contract than 41. I do have my doubts as well.

It's never gonna be perfect in everybody's opinion; on the whole, I like the direction he has moved the team, a lot.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So far, Guerin is all talk and no action on the center front. If the Eichel deal doesn't shake out (which is looking more and more likely), I'm baffled as to why he bought out both Parise and Suter if he isn't going to utilize the cap space. Bringing in Foligno and apparently Goligoski is strange (and I called looking at Goligoski) isn't a great use of cap space either. Unless he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and not give up the top 5 prospects or a first round pick next year, I have no idea what his plan is for the center position as they need at least two good centers.

Reactions: MNState0fHockey

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
So far, Guerin is all talk and no action on the center front. If the Eichel deal doesn't shake out (which is looking more and more likely), I'm baffled as to why he bought out both Parise and Suter if he isn't going to utilize the cap space. Bringing in Foligno and apparently Goligoski is strange (and I called looking at Goligoski) isn't a great use of cap space either. Unless he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and not give up the top 5 prospects or a first round pick next year, I have no idea what his plan is for the center position as they need at least two good centers.
Maybe he is utilizing his cap space by not signing any big fish as many have pointed out that in years 3-4 we are prettt f***ed

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There are still viable, middle-tier centers to target in trade out there. Arizona in particular has two, are clearly still open for business and probably wouldn't have a problem taking Rask back to keep a deal close to cap-neutral. It's really a question of which center Guerin deems worth pursuing, because so far it seems like we've heard more about centers he doesn't want than centers he does want.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Maybe he is utilizing his cap space by not signing any big fish as many have pointed out that in years 3-4 we are prettt f***ed

Then why buy out Suter this year? Buy him out in two years? As much as I dog Suter, I really question the need to have bought him out this year if you aren't going to utilize the cap relief this year, especially if the issue wasn't locker room related.

There are still viable, middle-tier centers to target in trade out there. Arizona in particular has two, are clearly still open for business and probably wouldn't have a problem taking Rask back to keep a deal close to cap-neutral. It's really a question of which center Guerin deems worth pursuing, because so far it seems like we've heard more about centers he doesn't want than centers he does want.

Not a big fan of either of the centers in Arizona, but if that's what he wants. Dvorak can't stay healthy, and his numbers aren't great. Schmaltz is probably the better of the two, but again can't stay healthy and his numbers aren't great either.

More so, would Arizona want to trade with someone in their conference now?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Then why buy out Suter this year? Buy him out in two years? As much as I dog Suter, I really question the need to have bought him out this year if you aren't going to utilize the cap relief this year, especially if the issue wasn't locker room related.

Not a big fan of either of the centers in Arizona, but if that's what he wants. Dvorak can't stay healthy, and his numbers aren't great. Schmaltz is probably the better of the two, but again can't stay healthy and his numbers aren't great either.

More so, would Arizona want to trade with someone in their conference now?
Because they clearly have no designs to be competitive for the next year or two. Plus Schmaltz's contract in particular is backloaded to hell, which I'm sure they'd love to get out from under.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Because they clearly have no designs to be competitive for the next year or two. Plus Schmaltz's contract in particular is backloaded to hell, which I'm sure they'd love to get out from under.

Fair enough, but if they aren't designed to be competitive for two years, what for Schultz?

Rask + O'Rourke and a 2nd?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fair enough, but if they aren't designed to be competitive for two years, what for Schultz?

Rask + O'Rourke and a 2nd?
It really depends on how badly they don't want to pay the expensive years on Schmaltz's deal. It sounds like they've been trying to trade him for awhile, so at this point he could be surprisingly cheap. I'm not sure that it'd require an O'Rourke-caliber prospect on top of the 2nd to get it done.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
After reading all the comments in this thread you would think that the poll results would be vastly different than they are. :laugh:
The silent majority always reigns supreme.

A significant portion of votes for 3 and especially 4 aren't even Wild fans, so that had something to do with it too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And we never will
Nor necessarily. Great captains tend to get well known that they're great captains.

Hell, even good to very good get known over time.

Koivu was a very respectable captain, he commanded other players attention.

Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman... two of the best players to wear a C of all time.

Thus far, nothing special at all about the letter on Spurgeon's sweater. Only time will tell what rep he will gain.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Nor necessarily. Great captains tend to get well known that they're great captains.

Hell, even good to very good get known over time.

Koivu was a very respectable captain, he commanded other players attention.

Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman... two of the best players to wear a C of all time.

Thus far, nothing special at all about the letter on Spurgeon's sweater. Only time will tell what rep he will gain.
True, he may just simply be the gel. Not one thing just stands out but everyone respects and listens to him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After reading all the comments in this thread you would think that the poll results would be vastly different than they are. :laugh:
There is no incomplete option between 2 and 3. I think that would win had it been available.

I did not vote at all because of that lack of distinction. Many in this thread noted they selected 3, while not necessarily agreeing with it, they just didn't agree with option 2 either.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Things fall apart; 1C Rask cannot hold.

Anyways, sure glad GMBFG didn't sacrifice the future of the team with any of the actually inexpensive center solutions that could have been had last year when the team rode hot into the playoffs and took Vegas to 7 games fronted by a guy who couldn't take a yam to 7 peels, especially when he claims to have known that far in advance that he'd do the thing that would make being competitive those years a non-issue. I mean can you imagine if all we had was whatever was achieved last year, and faced 4-5 years of unlikely contending? We would probably have feels.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I think the hard thing is no one in the fanbase has a single clue what the "plan" is. I think if you were to poll 100 Wild fans you'd get 100 different responses on what Guerin's goals are. I feel like each move tends to contradict the previous move he makes.

Are we contending? Well how come we brought out Suter and didn't try and get Reinhart? I think we could've easier beat that package in addition helping Buffalo get him out of the division.

Are we rebuilding? We haven't sold any big pieces off to gain assets before the draft. Look what Risto got. Imagine trading Dumba.

Are we in a retool? :dunno:

In the end I'll stick with 3 since I can't say he has done anything to make me want to fire him and I like the staff he has created for instance with Judd. I also feel like he hasn't dug himself in a deeper hole even though I wouldn't say he has filled up the hole wither.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I think the hard thing is no one in the fanbase has a single clue what the "plan" is. I think if you were to poll 100 Wild fans you'd get 100 different responses on what Guerin's goals are. I feel like each move tends to contradict the previous move he makes.

Are we contending? Well how come we brought out Suter and didn't try and get Reinhart? I think we could've easier beat that package in addition helping Buffalo get him out of the division.

Are we rebuilding? We haven't sold any big pieces off to gain assets before the draft. Look what Risto got. Imagine trading Dumba.

Are we in a retool? :dunno:

In the end I'll stick with 3 since I can't say he has done anything to make me want to fire him and I like the staff he has created for instance with Judd. I also feel like he hasn't dug himself in a deeper hole even though I wouldn't say he has filled up the hole wither.

we didnt try to get reinhart because hes not a center....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad