Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I want to try and keep this poll so we can keep track of how everyone’s feeling about Guerin. I’ll probably go through and update how I’m feeling about him as he makes more moves. Currently, I’m not overly thrillled with his work. But, atleast it’s been some exciting news since he’s taken over.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
At this point I'll wait until the draft to vote on this one.

I like how they've positioned themselves for the expansion draft. Everyone that needs protecting is protected and there's no need to go to Francis, hat in hand, to try to work out some kind of deal. Dangling Kahkonen to potentially keep Soucy is shrewd, in my opinion.

And I kind of hate to admit it, but I like the buyouts too. I wasn't at all expecting the Suter one and I'm not convinced that it's going to work out in our favor, but frankly I'm ready to move on. If Guerin thinks there's a way to do that... well, we'll see what the next week holds, but my mind is very open.

There are a few ways that they can proceed from here that'll leave me feeling satisfied, but I guess we'll see.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Fine so far. Seems kinda like an extension of Fenton with shipping out our dudes, but with more charisma. I like that he seems to have a solid vision of what types of players he wants and is clearing house.

Reactions: keeneyedobserver

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
He hasn't sold off assets quickly enough for me to be happy with the direction of the rebuild, and I'm worried about the return we'll get for Kaprizov/Fiala once the wheels fall odd this thing and they get pissed off. Is it kinda ridiculous to expect them to commit to the rebuild in a year where they made the playoffs and brought in a guy who won the Calder? Yes. Am I still unsatisfied that they didn't? Also yes.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Totally no way to evaluate right now. I want to see the whole roster and if I see what looks like forward cap planning to next year, I'll be impressed

Last edited:
Reactions: Wild11MN

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
At this point I'll wait until the draft to vote on this one.

I like how they've positioned themselves for the expansion draft. Everyone that needs protecting is protected and there's no need to go to Francis, hat in hand, to try to work out some kind of deal. Dangling Kahkonen to potentially keep Soucy is shrewd, in my opinion.

And I kind of hate to admit it, but I like the buyouts too. I wasn't at all expecting the Suter one and I'm not convinced that it's going to work out in our favor, but frankly I'm ready to move on. If Guerin thinks there's a way to do that... well, we'll see what the next week holds, but my mind is very open.

There are a few ways that they can proceed from here that'll leave me feeling satisfied, but I guess we'll see.

Pretty much where I stand. And if I am voting/putting a grade on it today, it’s a 2 for me.

Reactions: 57special

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I went fine, but I think this offseason is really will tell us. This is his first real offseason even if Covid pushed it back a bit. Guerin knows the team's issues and has a few important RFAs to sign. My score will go down if he just decides to kick the can till the next season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hasn't been here long enough for me to vote fairly. Because he would get a 2 from me otherwise.
He has been here way too long for this to be a reasonable answer. I agree that to this point he has earned a 2.

I really hope in the next 2 weeks he changes my mind.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
He has been here way too long for this to be a reasonable answer. I agree that to this point he has earned a 2.

I really hope in the next 2 weeks he changes my mind.

I hear you for sure. I thought I'd be generous today and let him have these next two weeks. When those are over, so is my grace period.

Reactions: 2Pair

P10p

May 15, 2012
The Fiala and Kaprizov extensions/situation will have a lot of sway but a 3 for me so far.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Option 6 - huge balls, scary looking

Never before has pro sports seen a 20% cap penalty, Guerin is a gambler.
In a few years he will either be declared a genius or a total failure.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I feel this poll is destined for failure. Not because I love Guerin (more taking a neutral approach) but how many fans actually love what their GM has done, as a whole? I bet if you asked any fan base how to rate their GM, it's going to be mostly negative. Hell, ask Lightning or Habs fans before the year and I bet you still get mostly negative scores/reviews.

I went with 3. He's made some good moves and some bad moves. He admitted a mistake (waiting around too long/much), hopefully we see some proactiveness.

Edit: Personally, I dont' care if someone makes a mistake. We all do. The important thing is learning from it.

Reactions: BagHead

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I mean - honestly, I think everyone will see me as a 1 type of guy, so voted that way.

But between Riser and Fletcher, Minnesota has kind of pretty much fumbled their way through twenty-years of existence with really no direction other than make the playoffs and we'll see how it goes type of approach. Guerin doesn't really seem to have a plan other than a straight up demolition of the past twenty years of crap that has built up. The biggest thing that Fenton and Guerin have done is shake up a very stagnant office that needed changing. The biggest hinge for me is if Eriksson-Ek takes a step forward and Boldy/Rossi acclimate to the NHL/AHL. Kaprizov has been an anomaly for Minnesota. We'll see if it's a trend.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I’d say fine so far. This off-season could dictate. Still love the zucker trade. Other trades meh with a little risk, but he got guys out who prob needed to leave.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think he's been fine. Looking through his trades, I don't think he's "lost" a single one of them. Most of them have resulted in the player we acquire doing better than the player we sent out. The Kunin trade is pretty dependent on how Khusnutdinov does.

As for signings, the Spurgeon contract was an obvious L and it was when he first got here. I like the Eriksson Ek contract. Fiala bridge was an excellent deal. I'm fine with the Brodin deal. Foligno is an okay contract. Talbot was an obvious W.

In regards to the Parise/Suter buyouts, I guess I'm okay with it. Not like we really had a choice in dealing with those cap hits and they would have been extremely hard to trade. Saves a bit of cap hit and we did not have to protect them.

I think there is a lot of hostility towards his avoidance to improve the top 6, specifically the center position. That's pretty much my reasoning for putting him in the 3 category instead of the 4 category. If he thinks Eriksson Ek can be a 2nd line center then that's great. We still need to find someone to play 1C and 3C/4C. I would not go into next season with the assumption that Rossi is going to be an impact center. If he is, that is fantastic! Just don't assume he will and not have a backup plan. I'd love for him to trade for Reinhart and play him at center. Some of you will kick and scream at that, but I think once you get him away from Buffalo he will shine.

Reactions: Slotski

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I think he's very similar to a lot of ex players that work in management. They continually look for or go after players that they have a prior relationship with or players that were similar to themselves.

BG likes big power F's like Foligno Bro's, Greenway, etc.. Ex players like Bonino, Cole, etc.

I think his biggest problem is that he has a HUGE ego and it's going to catch up with him sooner than later.

I'm not an Analytics guy but I do like people that "Think outside of the box" so a guy like Dubas does nothing for me while Zito does. BG hasn't shown he can be creative. He did a good job with hiring Brackett then goes and brings in Shero, who I happen to like, as a security blanket.

I still think he is going to get Eichel but what he does to keep Fiala and Kap is going to be interesting.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Zucker and Koivu gone upset some.

Staal for Johansson messed with people's heads.

Kunin for Bonino and picks pissed people off.

But Guerin was just getting warmed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad