Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Actually, it's 100% factual to say that Guerin has failed to trade for Eichel. Judging someone by what they might do is reckless and incomplete.

thats like saying a person failed to go to sleep when in reality it just took an extra hour or two to fall asleep. Eichel hasnt been traded, therefore he hasnt "failed" at acquiring him. its simply incomplete at this point.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Actually, it's 100% factual to say that Guerin has failed to trade for Eichel. Judging someone by what they might do is reckless and incomplete.
Then any GM who hasn't traded for him has 100% failed. It's a ridiculous premise to judge someone for something that hasn't happened for anyone yet.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Guerin’s off-season thus far:
1. Team did not get better and will most likely be worse.
2. Having trouble signing key free agents.
3. Future looks bleak.
How is this not a massive failure?

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
3. Future looks bleak.
1. We don't know that yet.
2.RFA negotiation is usually a longer timeframe and there has been zero concrete evidence that it's a problem...just strategically leaked conjecture.
3. Proof? The prospect pool looks quite deep and everyone should have known the end of the Parise/Suter era was going to come with some pain.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
3. Proof? The prospect pool looks quite deep and everyone should have known the end of the Parise/Suter era was going to come with some pain.

The Wild had just as deep as a prospect group in 12/13 when Parise/Suter signed here:

Brodin, Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter, Zucker, Dumba, Kuemper...

Hell, I think that group was better than what we have now.

Reactions: Victorious Secret

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
3. Future looks bleak.
Because the off season isn't over yet?

I have not been a fan of some of Geurin's moves, but have liked others. I refuse to blame him completely for having to deal with the Suter and Parise contracts that were concocted by Fletcher and Leipold. Everyone with half a brain knew that they were going to be a terrible liability at the end of the term. That's not on Guerin, though the Suter buyout makes no sense to me unless he is a real PITA behind the scenes, OR, they saw a steep decline about to occur in his abilities. I didn't see that- he's been worse since his foot injury, but i still think he is a good top4 dman, but they see him every day in practice and should know more than me.

He needs to sign Fiala and Kaprizov to fair deals. If that is not possible, then they need to be moved.
I would like him to get some sort of C upgrade, but not pay through the nose for one. The Eichel situation is turning into an even bigger mess the more it is delayed...I would rather keep Rossi and Boldy and see how they work out.

I am coming around to @Jesus Brodin 's opinion that we are not going to be very good for the next couple of years(or more)unless everything goes right, but I do have hope for the future. Our prospects look good. I am willing to wait as long as Guerin makes good moves.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I am coming around to @Jesus Brodin 's opinion that we are not going to be very good for the next couple of years(or more)unless everything goes right, but I do have hope for the future. Our prospects look good. I am willing to wait as long as Guerin makes good moves.

The issue isn't that the Wild aren't going to be 'good', it's that they aren't going to be bad enough to get a franchise player. They'll end up around 9-11 slot and while they get a good player - maybe as good as Brodin or Granlund, it isn't going to be the franchise guy that they need.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The Wild had just as deep as a prospect group in 12/13 when Parise/Suter signed here:

Brodin, Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter, Zucker, Dumba, Kuemper...

Hell, I think that group was better than what we have now.

It's possible...but that group also never panned out ... especially at forward. Time will ultimately tell but to outright say the future is bleak is an opinion without evidence of fact.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The issue isn't that the Wild aren't going to be 'good', it's that they aren't going to be bad enough to get a franchise player. They'll end up around 9-11 slot and while they get a good player - maybe as good as Brodin or Granlund, it isn't going to be the franchise guy that they need.

And yet the guy you are heaping all blame on Guerin for not signing cause he's a legit stud...was a 5th round pick.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I agree with the bolded, although if this roster remains unchanged (including Kaprizov & Fiala signed) we are 1 or 2 injuries away from being on the cusp of a bottom 7 team. Especially if we lose a top 4 defensemen.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's possible...but that group also never panned out ... especially at forward. Time will ultimately tell but to outright say the future is bleak is an opinion without evidence of fact.

It's not that the future is bleak; it's that you can't count that the future is going to turn out how you like. I think a lot of fans are cautious, because they have been down the road before and it turned out - not so great.

well it isnt

It was definitely better ranked better than what we have now.

And yet the guy you are heaping all blame on Guerin for not signing cause he's a legit stud...was a 5th round pick.

Which is more often than not a rarity and Kaprizov turned out better than anyone anticipated or hoped. And that sometimes happens. I mean in 20 years, how often did Minnesota pull a franchise forward out of rounds 2-9? This is like winning a $1,000,000 dollars on a 1 dollar scratch off ticket. Doesn't happen all that often.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
thats like saying a person failed to go to sleep when in reality it just took an extra hour or two to fall asleep. Eichel hasnt been traded, therefore he hasnt "failed" at acquiring him. its simply incomplete at this point.
Wow, you're really good at analogies. :facepalm:

Reactions: wfode09

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It's not that the future is bleak; it's that you can't count that the future is going to turn out how you like. I think a lot of fans are cautious, because they have been down the road before and it turned out - not so great.

It was definitely better ranked better than what we have now.

Which is more often than not a rarity and Kaprizov turned out better than anyone anticipated or hoped. And that sometimes happens. I mean in 20 years, how often did Minnesota pull a franchise forward out of rounds 2-9? This is like winning a $1,000,000 dollars on a 1 dollar scratch off ticket. Doesn't happen all that often.
No it doesn't...but it also doesn't mean you have to pick top 5 to get one. Or that even picking top 5 guarantees one. Buffalo and Edmonton are prime examples.
And there is being "cautious" as you say and projecting doom and gloom...the latter is more what I see.

And system was better ranked by whom? Have new lists come out since the draft?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No it doesn't...but it also doesn't mean you have to pick top 5 to get one. Or that even picking top 5 guarantees one. Buffalo and Edmonton are prime examples.

Why do everyone jump on Buffalo and Edmonton - the two most dysfunctional teams in the NHL, if not all of sports? Let's see St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington all had top 5 picks and were able to win a Cup.

And system was better ranked by whom? Have new lists come out since the draft?

Just by looking at the list:

Brodin > Lambos
Coyle > Boldy
Granlund > = Rossi
Dumba >> Addison
Niederreiter >> Beckman

Only thing that this team has better is Wallstedt is better than Kuemper.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Why do everyone jump on Buffalo and Edmonton - the two most dysfunctional teams in the NHL, if not all of sports? Let's see St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington all had top 5 picks and were able to win a Cup.

Brodin > Lambos
Coyle > Boldy
Granlund > = Rossi
Dumba >> Addison
Niederreiter >> Beckman

coyle is NOT a better prospect than boldy.
Rossi is a better prospect than granlund

and lambos is being compared to makar, so he could end up better than brodin

molotce

Apr 14, 2017

i'm not the biggest Rossi fan but Boldy will probably be better offensively than Coyle and seeing how granlund's career has gone, I would be ok betting on Rossi having more impact

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Brodin > Lambos
Coyle > Boldy
Granlund > = Rossi
Dumba >> Addison
Niederreiter >> Beckman

So because they are dysfunctional doesn't make their comparison accurate? No..it just means the comparison doesn't fit your narrative.

Boldy is not worse than Coyle. And Rossi is likely projected higher than Granlund as he's an actual center. I'd have to see more on Lambos before making any kind of Brodin comparison but Lambos has higher offensive upside IMO

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Coyle was a lot better prospect than Boldy; he was seen in the vein of a guy like Dustin Brown. Big bodied power forward. He also could play center in a pinch. I don't think you realized how good of a prospect Coyle was thought of around the league, because the Wild messed up his development.

And Brodin was being compared to to Kronwall or a poor man's Lidstrom.

So because they are dysfunctional doesn't make their comparison accurate? No..it just means the comparison doesn't fit your narrative.

And my comparison doesn't fit your narrative. Also are you calling Minnesota dysfunctional?

Boldy is not worse than Coyle. And Rossi is likely projected higher than Granlund as he's an actual center. I'd have to see more on Lambos before making any kind of Brodin comparison but Lambos has higher offensive upside IMO

Coyle was seen as a big bodied power forward. Boldy more of a two-way, skilled winger. More so, Coyle could effectively move to center. Granlund was seen as a franchise forward and one of the best prospects EVER to come out of Finland. There was a lot of hope he would fix the center position for this organization - sort of like Rossi. Granlund was seen as an actual center. But Granlund skirted around the top prospect in all of the NHL for a while.

Brodin came into the league as an 18 year old. A lot of scouts were extremely high on Brodin (so much they had him ranked in the top 10). Lambos may have the higher offensive upside (we'll see), but Brodin had the skating and defensive work that made him a top prospect.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
No I'm not calling MN dysfunctional because I don't think they need to pick top 5 to find quality players .. especially with Brackett.

As for the prospects...you have your opinion...we have ours.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Coyle was a lot better prospect than Boldy; he was seen in the vein of a guy like Dustin Brown. Big bodied power forward. He also could play center in a pinch. I don't think you realized how good of a prospect Coyle was thought of around the league, because the Wild messed up his development.

And Brodin was being compared to to Kronwall or a poor man's Lidstrom.

And my comparison doesn't fit your narrative. Also are you calling Minnesota dysfunctional?

Coyle was seen as a big bodied power forward. Boldy more of a two-way, skilled winger. More so, Coyle could effectively move to center. Granlund was seen as a franchise forward and one of the best prospects EVER to come out of Finland. There was a lot of hope he would fix the center position for this organization - sort of like Rossi. Granlund was seen as an actual center. But Granlund skirted around the top prospect in all of the NHL for a while.

Brodin came into the league as an 18 year old. A lot of scouts were extremely high on Brodin (so much they had him ranked in the top 10). Lambos may have the higher offensive upside (we'll see), but Brodin had the skating and defensive work that made him a top prospect.

charlie coyle: 40 points in 56 games at boston
boldy: 57 points in 56

its not close.

granlund while a good prospect and considered the #1 player out of europe, is no rossi

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
As is saying he didn't know what to do when it didn't happen.
I'm fully convinced some just hate the GM...no matter what he does or doesn't do.
I don't remember any of this negativity around Chuck Fletcher when in reality most of the problems the team is facing stem from his tenure, and he never really had great results. Guerin's main task since he has started has been cleaning up Fletcher's and Fenton's mess. It remains to be seen if he will be successful but the mess wasn't one that he made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad