Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't remember any of this negativity around Chuck Fletcher when in reality most of the problems the team is facing stem from his tenure, and he never really had great results. Guerin's main task since he has started has been cleaning up Fletcher's and Fenton's mess. It remains to be seen if he will be successful but the mess wasn't one that he made.
I was probably easier on Fletcher than I should've been. I did not like his habit of trading away draft picks. The Staal signing was great, though, as was picking up guys like Spurgeon for nothing.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
charlie coyle: 40 points in 56 games at boston
boldy: 57 points in 56

its not close.

granlund while a good prospect and considered the #1 player out of europe, is no rossi

Charlie Coyle played with Matt Nieto and Adam Clendening? Oh and Alex Chiasson.

Boldy played with Newhook

Granlund wasn't just the #1 player out of Europe, he was in contention to be the number 1 prospect in the NHL. Let's see Rossi get there.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I don't remember any of this negativity around Chuck Fletcher when in reality most of the problems the team is facing stem from his tenure, and he never really had great results. Guerin's main task since he has started has been cleaning up Fletcher's and Fenton's mess. It remains to be seen if he will be successful but the mess wasn't one that he made.

Fletcher made this team into a perennial playoff team. The Suter & Parise signings were a huge part of that. Sure, the cap problems were always something we knew would occur towards the end of their tenure. However, Guerin accelerated that timeline unnecessarily with Suter’s buyout.

As shitty of a personality that Fenton was, I do wonder if this team would be in a better position with him still around. A lot of the moves and rumored moves (Domi/Dvorak) that he attempted to make were good ones.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Charlie Coyle played with Matt Nieto and Adam Clendening? Oh and Alex Chiasson.

Boldy played with Newhook

Granlund wasn't just the #1 player out of Europe, he was in contention to be the number 1 prospect in the NHL. Let's see Rossi get there.

disagree all you want, but ill be the first one to say i told you so in a year or two.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
disagree all you want, but ill be the first one to say i told you so in a year or two.

I agree that Boldy now is a good prospect, but he doesn't have the physicality of Coyle, which in my mind puts him higher than Boldy.

Ultimately, the Wild don't have a prospect like Coyle in their stables at all, so it's hard to compare Coyle with someone like Boldy, who is more of a two-way playmaker and is a compliment guy.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I agree that Boldy now is a good prospect, but he doesn't have the physicality of Coyle, which in my mind puts him higher than Boldy.

Ultimately, the Wild don't have a prospect like Coyle in their stables at all, so it's hard to compare Coyle with someone like Boldy, who is more of a two-way playmaker and is a compliment guy.
Coyle is softer than baby shit. Honestly, what the f*** are you even talking about?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Coyle is softer than baby shit. Honestly, what the f*** are you even talking about?

He got neutered by the NHL. Do you remember his shift against Columbus? Like am I that old to remember how physical Coyle was until the NHL slapped him down?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He got neutered by the NHL. Do you remember his shift against Columbus? Like am I that old to remember how physical Coyle was until the NHL slapped him down?
Coyle was rarely physical in the hit 'n' hurt way, though it did happen on occasion. He's generally used his strength more to be strong on the puck.

He was a highly regarded prospect but I think you've mythologized him a little too much in this thread. There was an uptick in hype late in his D+2 season after he left BU for Saint John, but more than a few observers pointed out that going from the NCAA to a superpower QMJHL team was a step down in competition. Prospect rankings of Coyle at that point in time were accordingly all over the map.

Reactions: TaLoN and GuerinUp

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Coyle had all sorts of great tools...maybe better than Boldy's. He just didn't use them very often. Boldy is a better offensive player. Better hands, and better IQ. If he ends up being as strong as Coyle then he will be really something. Rantanen comes to mind. I liked Coyle a lot, but he was a tease, never really showing his talent consistently. I think that Boldy will be more consistent, though he might take quite a few games to adjust to the NHL.

Coyle was picked 28th oa, and was a bit of a steal.

Boldy was picked 12th oa, and most considered him to be a bit of a steal at the time he was picked.

Time will tell. After watching all of Boldy's AHL games last year I became more of a fan. Just don't know if he is too passive, or if there is a competitor underneath that placid exterior.

Last edited:

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Coyle was a lot better prospect than Boldy; he was seen in the vein of a guy like Dustin Brown. Big bodied power forward. He also could play center in a pinch. I don't think you realized how good of a prospect Coyle was thought of around the league, because the Wild messed up his development.

And Brodin was being compared to to Kronwall or a poor man's Lidstrom.

And my comparison doesn't fit your narrative. Also are you calling Minnesota dysfunctional?

Coyle was seen as a big bodied power forward. Boldy more of a two-way, skilled winger. More so, Coyle could effectively move to center. Granlund was seen as a franchise forward and one of the best prospects EVER to come out of Finland. There was a lot of hope he would fix the center position for this organization - sort of like Rossi. Granlund was seen as an actual center. But Granlund skirted around the top prospect in all of the NHL for a while.

Brodin came into the league as an 18 year old. A lot of scouts were extremely high on Brodin (so much they had him ranked in the top 10). Lambos may have the higher offensive upside (we'll see), but Brodin had the skating and defensive work that made him a top prospect.

I will hand it to you coyle out of the box was probably the better prospect... at least until probably a year or two after he was acquired. Maybe the shark saw something in him they didn't like though? You just never know.

I know you like to panic and all... As it's in your signature... But all prospects are pretty much at a level playing field once they are drafted and you really don't know what you have until they step in the NHL

Last edited:
Reactions: thestonedkoala

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Coyle was rarely physical in the hit 'n' hurt way, though it did happen on occasion. He's generally used his strength more to be strong on the puck.

He was a highly regarded prospect but I think you've mythologized him a little too much in this thread. There was an uptick in hype late in his D+2 season after he left BU for Saint John, but more than a few observers pointed out that going from the NCAA to a superpower QMJHL team was a step down in competition. Prospect rankings of Coyle at that point in time were accordingly all over the map.
Exactly this...I have previously quoted myself from those days bringing up that exact concern about the downgrade in competition hurting his development as things suddenly became too easy.

In finding that quote, I saw many others with the exact same concern. He wasn't on this super hype train that some want us to believe.

Reactions: 57special

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Guys like Coyle are fine players, but you cannot pay them much to keep them around. Greenway is in the same camp.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

In his first season, the NHL came down hard on Coyle. I remember specifically his game in Columbus; it was like night and day.

Video: Wild's Coyle gets ejected after Anisimov hit, Dubinsky fight | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

But Coyle was definitely in consideration for top 5 if not top 3 prospect at the time before he broke into the league.

I think Minnesota didn't develop Coyle properly either. It was a bad combination all around.

BTW are all the centers taken now? Stepan signed, so that leaves Eichel on the market as the only one I can think of. Unless there is another like Hertl, but I don't think they are going to move him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
In his first season, the NHL came down hard on Coyle. I remember specifically his game in Columbus; it was like night and day.

Video: Wild's Coyle gets ejected after Anisimov hit, Dubinsky fight | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

But Coyle was definitely in consideration for top 5 if not top 3 prospect at the time before he broke into the league.

I think Minnesota didn't develop Coyle properly either. It was a bad combination all around.

BTW are all the centers taken now? Stepan signed, so that leaves Eichel on the market as the only one I can think of. Unless there is another like Hertl, but I don't think they are going to move him.

i think coyle just isnt as good as you think he is, and thats why hes not great at hockey. .5 ppg players are a dime a dozen. hes never stood out points wise except the year he was on the seadogs as an older player. niederreiter was always the better prospect imo and we didnt draft either of them

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Sorry, should have added - for the Wild. He was considered a top 5/3 prospect. Based off his upside.

Minnesota Wild 2013-14 Prospect Rankings: Part 1

Minnesota Wild's Top 10 (and more) Prospects 2012, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

It's hard to find rankings from 8-9 years ago.

Even Russo had him rated in the top 5.

both of those lists have terrible prospects in them which was exactly my point that our prospect pool is miles better now, also the 1st link goes as far to claim coyle is a "complimentary player" further making my point that he wasnt a better prospect than boldy.

Reactions: HobeyBroten

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
both of those lists have terrible prospects in them which was exactly my point that our prospect pool is miles better now, also the 1st link goes as far to claim coyle is a "complimentary player" further making my point that he wasnt a better prospect than boldy.

Is it any different now? You realize in 2012-2013, Minnesota had a top 3 prospect pool and one of the first teams to ever have 6 prospects in the top 100 for THN? A lot of fans were high on Lucia, Phillips had potential and Olofsson did as well.

Our prospect pool is not miles better now - let me know when they have a top 5 prospect in the NHL again, because Rossi, Wallstedt, Boldy and Lambos aren't.

I don't think you realize how good Minnesota's prospect pool was thought of back in 2012-2013.

What they turned out to be and what they were thought of aren't the same thing. For all we know Rossi will end up as a middle 6 center, Boldy a complimentary winger, Lambos and Addison top 4 defensemen. Beckman doesn't show up and gets washed out.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Is it any different now? You realize in 2012-2013, Minnesota had a top 3 prospect pool and one of the first teams to ever have 6 prospects in the top 100 for THN? A lot of fans were high on Lucia, Phillips had potential and Olofsson did as well.

Our prospect pool is not miles better now - let me know when they have a top 5 prospect in the NHL again, because Rossi, Wallstedt, Boldy and Lambos aren't.

I don't think you realize how good Minnesota's prospect pool was thought of back in 2012-2013.

What they turned out to be and what they were thought of aren't the same thing. For all we know Rossi will end up as a middle 6 center, Boldy a complimentary winger, Lambos and Addison top 4 defensemen. Beckman doesn't show up and gets washed out.

The Journey: 2021 NHL Prospect Pool Rankings

i rest my case

Reactions: HobeyBroten

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sorry, should have added - for the Wild. He was considered a top 5/3 prospect. Based off his upside.

Minnesota Wild 2013-14 Prospect Rankings: Part 1

Minnesota Wild's Top 10 (and more) Prospects 2012, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

It's hard to find rankings from 8-9 years ago.

Even Russo had him rated in the top 5.
Oh, Top 5 in the Wild's prospect pool, yeah. No arguments there.

My personal read is that Boldy has the build and athleticism to put him on par with what Coyle eventually became in terms of size, strength and physicality. But in terms of hands, vision and raw offensive ability I think Boldy's easily been a cut above Coyle at this point in his development curve.

How much that bears on what Guerin's been cooking up so far... I dunno. I do think our prospect pool is currently on par with what we had in 2012 and I think that's a good thing. It doesn't guarantee success, but it's certainly better than not having a strong pool. And I don't think the collective fate of that earlier group really says anything about what the future holds for Boldy, Rossi and the rest.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

And for all we know, they could all be a lot better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad