Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I couldn't find the numbers from a quick search but if I'm remembering correctly from that Russo article about it, the cap hit would have continued for multiple years past the 24-25 season. I know it technically does now due to the buyout (at a much lower number), but it would've been in the $6-7M range possibly into 28-29, depending on when they retired. No thanks.

No, you’re mistaking if they were traded to another team and retired. The cap recapture penalty would have been locked in when they were traded.

How the cap recapture penalty could doom the Wild

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
My guess is that the real plan is to:

1. Remain competitive enough to sell tickets while the Parise and Suter contracts are coming off the books.
2. Identify the players on the current team that you still want around once recapture is over.
3. Eventually trade those you can't afford to keep (I bet Greenway is gone at some point).
4. Build through the draft while you are in cap hell.
5. Once recapture is over ice a competitive team with the assets preserved from the current version of the team and the prospects we get from Brackett's good drafting.
6. Never mention the terms rebuild or retool.

Obviously this is not a plan a team would make public, because they are in the business of selling tickets, jerseys and television advertising and they want to maintain as much interest as possible. But from a pragmatic standpoint it may be the best long term plan. Long term you keep the players that will keep the culture of the team so that when good young players make it to the show they are coming into a room that will teach them how to be professionals and to keep their heads straight. You also want to keep players that are young enough and good enough that they will still be contributing once the Wild's window is open again. Who? Obviously Kaprizov, probably Spurgeon and Brodin, Eriksson Ek and at least one of Fiala or Dumba, ideally both. If you add the current and future prospects to that core you probably have a great team once you have money to work with again. It gives you a good mix of veterans and youth down the line, but not for a few years.
Please explain how Spurgeon, Brodin, and Foligno fit into this plan?

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Throwing your team in the trash for 4 years to get away from paying an aging defenseman just to have exactly that(possibly two of them) waiting for you at the end of the wait.
If I am reading it correctly Spurgeon will be 35 when the Paris/Suter dead cap comes off the books and will have two years left on his contract. Brodin will be 32 and have three years left. That is a far cry from paying Suter and Parise until they are 41. You and the Doctor are just being hysterical because it fits your agenda.

I would assume Spurgeon and Brodin are part of the veteran leadership that teaches professionalism to the younger players and can also still contribute. All good teams have players like that. The ones that don't are the Buffalos and Edmontons of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: zellmatic

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If I am reading it correctly Spurgeon will be 35 when the Paris/Suter dead cap comes off the books and will have two years left on his contract. Brodin will be 32 and have three years left. That is a far cry from paying Suter and Parise until they are 41. You and the Doctor are just being hysterical because it fits your agenda.
You think a 35 year old Spurgeon will be as good as Suter was this season? Because the 31 year old version wasn't.

Reactions: MNState0fHockey

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I would assume Spurgeon and Brodin are part of the veteran leadership that teaches professionalism to the younger players and can also still contribute. All good teams have players like that. The ones that don't are the Buffalos and Edmontons of the world.

I'd be very curious to learn what my "agenda" is.

Also, what part of anything that I've said today would classify me as "hysterical".

I had very little expectation for free agent day, which came to be, and have been very calm all day.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
either way eichel hasnt been traded, so to say someone failed at acquiring him is a rather reckless and incomplete statement.
Actually, it's 100% factual to say that Guerin has failed to trade for Eichel. Judging someone by what they might do is reckless and incomplete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad