Bill Burr

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
yep for sure. Very entertaining comedian. Imagine getting hammered with both Bill and CK.

Is it just me or does it seem like there's this weird unspoken thing going on where Louis CK and Bill Burr both have the exact same circle of friends who they're both very close to and easily shoot the **** with, but you rarely see them together, and when you do, it feels awkward and like they're talking peripherally around each other.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Is it just me or does it seem like there's this weird unspoken thing going on where Louis CK and Bill Burr both have the exact same circle of friends who they're both very close to and easily shoot the **** with, but you rarely see them together, and when you do, it feels awkward and like they're talking peripherally around each other.

I've barely ever heard one mentioning the other. And they both look like they'd be annoying if drunk but in different ways - Bill Burr seems like he'd be an obnoxious loudmouth while Louis gives me the impression he'd be a dopey, sad guy who'd end up puking - and yes, this is totally based on their comedic persona.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

All those high level NYC comics know each other and hang out in the same circles/do sets at the Comedy Cellar.

I think Burr moved to LA so he's likely hanging out with the west coast crowd now.

Sep 19, 2008

It's all part of the O&A circle back in the day, Burr, CK, Norton, Vos, the late Patrice, etc. They all used to show up on O&A every morning

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's all part of the O&A circle back in the day, Burr, CK, Norton, Vos, the late Patrice, etc. They all used to show up on O&A every morning

I used to think that too, but I think that's mostly a symptom of everyone revolving around Jimmy. They're all Jimmy's friends/acquaintances from the Comedy Cellar. I think they all know each other from hanging out at the comic's table, but you can tell the Jimmy/Vos/Patrice/Burr/Kelly thing was strong. Florentine too, but I think everyone else has their own cliques. Even when Schumer was around for a little while you could always tell she wasn't part of the main clique.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What I mean is they both seem extremely buddy-buddy with literally everyone else in that circle (they treat guys like Norton, Kelly, Patrice, Vos, and even DiPaolo like they're practically bothers) besides each other, who they seem to treat like strangers meeting for the first time.

Almost seems like a mutual too much respect intimidation kind of thing.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What I mean is they both seem extremely buddy-buddy with literally everyone else in that circle besides each other.

Burr is new to the national comedian circle. When he got that part in Breaking Bad I told everyone that would listen that it was Bill Burr and nobody really knew who he was. Now he's national/international, CK's been at that level for a while. Meaning they're not really hanging out doing two sets a night anymore while other people in the circle are either working on material or touring.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Burr is new to the national comedian circle. When he got that part in Breaking Bad I told everyone that would listen that it was Bill Burr and nobody really knew who he was. Now he's national/international, CK's been at that level for a while. Meaning they're not really hanging out doing two sets a night anymore while other people in the circle are either working on material or touring.
You mean the Cellar Crowd are basically like the trenches that they both started up in, but Louis CK got famous before Burr started there, so there was never a window of overlap?

That actually makes alot of sense.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
You mean the Cellar Crowd are basically like the trenches that they both started up in, but Louis CK got famous before Burr started there, so there was never a window of overlap?

That actually makes alot of sense.

Pretty much. I'm sure there's a little overlap, but it's not surprising that most of the comedians on the show were around the same age. I'm sure they still check in at the Cellar to work on material, CK more than Burr since he's still a NY guy. They're just not there a few times a week like the others. I think Jim still does a few nights a week at the Cellar.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
If you guys can find his Thanksgiving/Black Friday rant on Conan from a couple years back its pretty good, he also does one on of his podcasts but of course NSFW

Sep 19, 2008
I've seen him twice, once in DC at the National Theater and once outside DC at the MGM National Harbor. He's pretty hilarious and always has new, fresh material. One time a fight broke out at one of his standup shows and he was like "QUIET DOWN. I'M THE ONE ON STAGE" and everyone started laughing

THESE PEOPLE DIDN'T COME TO SEE YOU, THEY CAME TO SEE ME! :laugh:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
He's my favorite current stand up, might be all time too. He's just genuinely funny; you can tell by how he handles hecklers & how often he goes "off script", and how it's (almost) always funny.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Him and Chappelle are my favorites, on a different tier compared to the rest.

F is for Family is great too, thanks for the heads up!

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Him and Chappelle are my favorites, on a different tier compared to the rest.

F is for Family is great too, thanks for the heads up!

I agree with you about Burr and Chappelle. They're my 2 favorite as well

Watched the first season of F is for Family, but tapped out mid-episode of the season 2 premiere. I just didn't find it funny, and the characters are just really unlikable for the most part

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad