Bill Burr

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
His podcast is great. Have been listening to it for 9 years now
Used to listen all the time, but it got a bit stale to me. It's very good, but the solo thing get's old to me after a while. I just feel like I've heard him talk about most of the stuff before. I started to enjoy it more when Mia or another person was on with him so their was some back and forth. But I haven't listened much lately.

ciderfylla

Dec 28, 2015
My favourite comedian today, and as far as personality and off-stage hilarity and charisma goes he's the greatest ever in my book. Always effortlessly funny regardless of topic and situation.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Small sample, for sure, but my first impression was "wow, this guy has found a clever way to make palatable his bigotry."
I remember hearing some of his jokes about women and I found them to be more borderline misogynistic than funny to be honest.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
giphy.gif

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
There's truth and comedic brilliance in everything he's saying here:
He's doing the social commentary thing but it all sounds like stuff an incel would complain about. Oprah exaggerated and said mothers have the toughest job in the world. Burr makes jokes about how they don't. Yeah, okay, we get it dude. It was hyperbole. The whole stuff on domestic violence where he says there are lots of reasons to hit a woman just seems like he's making light of it all and it's just not funny. I can't say if he's a misogynist, but the topics he chose to joke about or the material just wasn't funny in these performances. There are some really funny girlfriend/wife/women jokes but nothing here got more than a couple of smiles out of me.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Bill Burr is fine but I don't think he is the comedy messiah he seems to be often portrayed as.

Also Louis CK's set the other night wasn't bad, though he did veer into his old edgy, gross out humor style which I have never and will never appreciate.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's doing the social commentary thing but it all sounds like stuff an incel would complain about. Oprah exaggerated and said mothers have the toughest job in the world. Burr makes jokes about how they don't. Yeah, okay, we get it dude. It was hyperbole. The whole stuff on domestic violence where he says there are lots of reasons to hit a woman just seems like he's making light of it all and it's just not funny. I can't say if he's a misogynist, but the topics he chose to joke about or the material just wasn't funny in these performances. There are some really funny girlfriend/wife/women jokes but nothing here got more than a couple of smiles out of me.

It's funny, just might not be for you.

Reactions: slowslovak

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Bill Burr is fine but I don't think he is the comedy messiah he seems to be often portrayed as.

Also Louis CK's set the other night wasn't bad, though he did veer into his old edgy, gross out humor style which I have never and will never appreciate.

The audio I've heard of CKs set sucked. Not even because it came across as mean-spirited (that can still be funny) but truly because there was nothing there. It was just him ranting like an angry old man without any depth to it. That's never a good look.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Not to veer too off topic on Louis but I read about it and while I think he’s a massive POS, his bit seemed like typical Louis.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Not to veer too off topic on Louis but I read about it and while I think he’s a massive POS, his bit seemed like typical Louis.

I mean, he did a bit about how great it must feel to f*** children as his opening monologue on SNL so its funny to hear people talk like he has suddenly crossed the boundaries of good taste here.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFBCommenter

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I mean, he did a bit about how great it must feel to **** children as his opening monologue on SNL so its funny to hear people talk like he has suddenly crossed the boundaries of good taste.

Eh...there was a cleverness/cheekiness/non-maliciousness to it that I don't see with his latest bit. He just sounded like a broken man.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I mean, he did a bit about how great it must feel to **** children as his opening monologue on SNL so its funny to hear people talk like he has suddenly crossed the boundaries of good taste.

Yeah since he’s such a hot topic nowadays I’m sure there are a ton of people who now follow him and have absolutely no clue about a lot of his comedy. I’m sure lots of those people also can’t differentiate between what was said on a comedy stage as opppsed to like, your coworker.

Of course I only read about it and the other poster seemed to have listened to it, and it sounds like it wasn’t even funny anyway. Just malicious with nothing really behind it. So maybe the criticism is actually deserved I don’t know.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I would say listen to it if you want to make a determination.

I don't think he sounded like a broken man. I think he sounded exactly like Louis CK has always sounded....only now everybody is going to play armchair psychologist and pretend to know whats going on in his head.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I would say listen to it if you want to make a determination.

I don't think he sounded like a broken man. I think he sounded exactly like Louis CK has always sounded....only now everybody is going to play armchair psychologist and pretend to know whats going on in his head.

Oh please. I don't think you need to play armchair psychologist to make an observation about someone who says " What are you gonna do? Take away my birthday? My life is over anyways. " and that in other sets has said that he feels like everyone hates him. Totally sounds like someone living a happy, sane life. Not that I thought he seemed particularly happy even before his sex scandal.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
So what kind of humour do you like than? I think Burr is hilarious and can play both sides of the fence, ripping into pretty much anyone. He’s also pretty left wing so I don’t know what people on the left complain about, dude constantly rips into conservatives. I enjoy his rants on banks and bankers the most hahahah

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm listening to the leaked Louis CK set right now, and I really REALLY don't know what the hell you guys are talking about-- honestly, I think it's pretty incredible so far-- it's clicking with me way more than anything he or Bill Burr (whose acts have both stagnated and felt off since becoming popular for a while now) has done (stand-up-wise, not show-running-wise) over the past few years.

He's clearly now acting like an unhinged broken man with nothing to lose and who's sputtering out of control, who relishes in borderline psychotic absurdity and behaves as though nothing shocking he can say actually matters, but that's basically EXACTLY what he was before he had children, divorced and got really famous, and while it's maybe unfortunate that his life has returned to that less grounded mental state, as a comedian, it works fantastically well and is actually a powerful element that has been sorely missing from his act since forever, IMO. There's always been something alive and liberating about that style that I love.

He's acting like a raw absurdist/nihilist again, and there can be a strange sort of ugly beauty to that. I'd be perfectly happy continuing with this direction moving forward. Bill Burr is the one who has turned into a grumpy old man who sounds stuck in time (not that there's anything wrong with that, because it also sounds like he's content with where he is).

That's also not taking into account the fact that this was the equivalent of rough drafts of cellar material that hasn't been fleshed out yet and was leaked. Comparing it to his more carefully polished specials doesn't make sense.

Before listening to it, I was reading articles about how bad and disgraceful and worthy of scorn it is, and I'm now just shaking my head finding all of that stuff pretty moronic. I consider myself more left-leaning than right leaning and kind of despise the general principle behind conservatism, but this degree of sensitivity has become pretty damn hopeless and depressing, IMO. Seriously, **** that noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad