Bill Burr

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Does F is for Family get better, or is the first episode a good sample of if I'll enjoy the show or not?

I love Bill Burr, one of my favourite current comedians, but I found the first episode of the show extremely unfunny and could barely finish it. Gets better or just not for me?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Does F is for Family get better, or is the first episode a good sample of if I'll enjoy the show or not?

I love Bill Burr, one of my favourite current comedians, but I found the first episode of the show extremely unfunny and could barely finish it. Gets better or just not for me?

First episode of season 1 or 3? If it's the former it gets better, if its 3 I can only hope it gets better.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Burr's quality has decreased but that tends to happen when you marry and have a kid, you lose some bite

The 1st 2 seasons were a solid background filler for me, like 7/10, season 1 gets better in episode 4 iirc. I'm 3 episodes in to season 3 and they've phoned it in so far, 4 or 5/10 for season 3.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Burr is an absolute legend. Even in interviews when he starts ranting you almost start to wonder if his stand ups are scripted. I know they are but there's practically no difference between his on stage material and what comes from spontaneity.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Burr is an absolute legend. Even in interviews when he starts ranting you almost start to wonder if his stand ups are scripted. I know they are but there's practically no difference between his on stage material and what comes from spontaneity.

One of my favorite Burr moments was the minute long "thank you" rant he came up with . No idea how he was able to reel that off on the spot. Perfectly done. If you haven't seen it, just search for Bill Burr Thank You.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
One of my favorite Burr moments was the minute long "thank you" rant he came up with . No idea how he was able to reel that off on the spot. Perfectly done. If you haven't seen it, just search for Bill Burr Thank You.

Is he wearing a Winnipeg Jets shirt?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He supposidly tends to re-work his act more than most comics and keep things fresh. It may carry over.

As a Browns fan, I loved him ripping into Colin Cowherd last week.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
He’s a super funny guy but Aggressive rant style standup just isn’t my cup of tea so I don’t watch too much of his stuff.

Just not for me really.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He's a guy that I would be interested to hear his REAL opinions on things. I feel like a lot of what he says is shock-value type of stuff. He does seem like a "man's man" type of guy, but I can't imagine that his true opinions are as extreme as what he says on stage.

Generally I do enjoy his takes on things though, especially when he calls out people/things for being stupid or not making sense.

His Subway rant is one of my favorites.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He's a lot of fun, but there's something about his attitude that can rub me the wrong way that's difficult to put a finger on (probably something to do with that alpha/man's man/machismo thing). Sometimes he hits the nail on the head, but other times, I feel like his rants can teeter on ignorance in a way that seems like it might indirectly enable and empower the worst kind of *ss-holes/mentalities. There's also something about his go-to escape move where he lobs this stuff out there with absolute conviction, certainty, and influential power, and then absolves himself of responsibility by going "Ahh, but what the **** do I know, I'm just an idiot" that always feels kind of cheap to me.

He's one of the best working comedians out there, is consistently and reliably funny/enjoyable, and executes his shtick to perfection, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that his act feels timelessly brilliant or deserving of being placed as a historical great/talent. From this era, I'd put someone like Norm MacDonald up there way ahead of him.

Also, I don't think F is For Family is really worth watching, personally. His act is at a far higher standard than the show. Feels like something he hopped on board with because other comedians do it, he placed a little too much trust in the guys who knew what they were doing, and as a result, it kind of just feels like a generic forgettable animated show with a tiny bit of Bill Burr injected into it.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He's a guy that I would be interested to hear his REAL opinions on things. I feel like a lot of what he says is shock-value type of stuff. He does seem like a "man's man" type of guy, but I can't imagine that his true opinions are as extreme as what he says on stage.

Generally I do enjoy his takes on things though, especially when he calls out people/things for being stupid or not making sense.

His Subway rant is one of my favorites.
His podcast is a good place to start. It’s just him most of the time unless he brings a guest in. I normally can’t listen to solo podcasts but his are entertaining.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
His podcast is a good place to start. It’s just him most of the time unless he brings a guest in. I normally can’t listen to solo podcasts but his are entertaining.

I'm a huge fan of Burr - was at all 3 of his Vancouver shows last spring - but his podcast isn't all that entertaining

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Seen one clip of him when he whined about Ricky Gervais and his Golden Globes apperances. Couldn't tell if that's just his humor or if he was really pissed. Anyway didn't laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->