Bill Burr

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
So what kind of humour do you like than? I think Burr is hilarious and can play both sides of the fence, ripping into pretty much anyone. He’s also pretty left wing so I don’t know what people on the left complain about, dude constantly rips into conservatives. I enjoy his rants on banks and bankers the most hahahah
Nah, it's not about a left vs right thing. I just didn't think those specific samples of his standup were particularly funny. All comedians have hits and misses, but I think the most consistently funny comedian would probably be Dave Chappelle. Carlin is pretty good too, but he basically just dropped truth bombs albeit in a humorous way. I would also say Norm McDonald is quite witty even though I don't really like the guy as a person.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm listening to the leaked Louis CK set right now, and I really REALLY don't know what the hell you guys are talking about-- honestly, I think it's pretty incredible so far-- it's clicking with me way more than anything he or Bill Burr (whose acts have both stagnated and felt off since becoming popular for a while now) has done (stand-up-wise, not show-running-wise) over the past few years.

He's clearly now acting like an unhinged broken man with nothing to lose and who's sputtering out of control, who relishes in borderline psychotic absurdity and behaves as though nothing shocking he can say actually matters, but that's basically EXACTLY what he was before he had children, divorced and got really famous, and while it's maybe unfortunate that his life has returned to that less grounded mental state, as a comedian, it works fantastically well and is actually a powerful element that has been sorely missing from his act since forever, IMO. There's always been something alive and liberating about that style that I love.

He's acting like a raw absurdist/nihilist again, and there can be a strange sort of ugly beauty to that. I'd be perfectly happy continuing with this direction moving forward. Bill Burr is the one who has turned into a grumpy old man who sounds stuck in time (not that there's anything wrong with that, because it also sounds like he's content with where he is).

That's also not taking into account the fact that this was the equivalent of rough drafts of cellar material that hasn't been fleshed out yet and was leaked. Comparing it to his more carefully polished specials doesn't make sense.

Before listening to it, I was reading articles about how bad and disgraceful and worthy of scorn it is, and I'm now just shaking my head finding all of that stuff pretty moronic. I consider myself more left-leaning than right leaning and kind of despise the general principle behind conservatism, but this degree of sensitivity has become pretty damn hopeless and depressing, IMO. Seriously, **** that noise.

The only thing I agree with here is that it's not polished material and comedians rely on run-of-the-mill sets to work out the kinks of their act - hence why I strongly support a no recording policy at gigs - but outside of that, no. I don't see anything in those leaked audios that relates to the reflective, intelligent and both gross but deeply humanistic jokes he used to make, even before having children. I don't particularly care if someone wants to make jokes about a school shooting, but I don't see how this was it. All I hear is an angry, bitter man lashing out at the world. That can be funny (Stanhope) but I've really never seen this as CK's forte. He always felt like a comedian who made himself ugly to show how there's some beauty in the world, however small. This isn't it. Honestly, it just sounded lazy to me.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The only thing I agree with here is that it's not polished material and comedians rely on run-of-the-mill sets to work out the kinks of their act - hence why I strongly support a no recording policy at gigs - but outside of that, no. I don't see anything in those leaked audios that relates to the reflective, intelligent and both gross but deeply humanistic jokes he used to make, even before having children. I don't particularly care if someone wants to make jokes about a school shooting, but I don't see how this was it. All I hear is an angry, bitter man lashing out at the world. That can be funny (Stanhope) but I've really never seen this as CK's forte. He always felt like a comedian who made himself ugly to show how there's some beauty in the world, however small. This isn't it. Honestly, it just sounded lazy to me.
I don't recall humanism really entering his act until he started feeling miserable about his divorce and finding the beauty in child rearing.

While the heart in his act is when it all clicked (initially anyways), and I agree, that was better than this stuff, there's something I also find appealing about his delivery when he goes off on seemingly-off-the-cuff raw/absurd/****ed up nonsense that swirls around in his head that exists and is amusing entirely for its own sake. I generally get more out of it than his 2013+ polished stuff.

In any case, this is how he workshops his material--- it's not a new phenomenon. It's almost identical to this version of Louis CK, which was almost entirely about deliberately messy absurdism. Most of his early rough stuff tends to start off like that. Then he smoothed it out and made it more intellectual/publicly palatable, while also losing some naturalism/spontaneity in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evil Speaker

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Before listening to it, I was reading articles about how bad and disgraceful and worthy of scorn it is, and I'm now just shaking my head finding all of that stuff pretty moronic. I consider myself more left-leaning than right leaning and kind of despise the general principle behind conservatism, but this degree of sensitivity has become pretty damn hopeless and depressing, IMO. Seriously, **** that noise.

It’s not even sensitivity though. It’s just confirmation bias. There are people who decided Louis CK is a bad man, and so now everything he says or does is going to be filtered through that lens.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The specific takes that are being talked about the most were so ridiculously off base, even in a format made for jokes.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So what kind of humour do you like than? I think Burr is hilarious and can play both sides of the fence, ripping into pretty much anyone. He’s also pretty left wing so I don’t know what people on the left complain about, dude constantly rips into conservatives. I enjoy his rants on banks and bankers the most hahahah

considering he used the term "incel" Im guessing reddit/tumblr memes

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It’s not even sensitivity though. It’s just confirmation bias. There are people who decided Louis CK is a bad man, and so now everything he says or does is going to be filtered through that lens.

I completely agree. That filter is never going to leave now, which kinda ruins his sets. Louis messed it up on his own though too. If there was a dude people were actually willing to forgive Louis would have been it. All he had to do was apologize to the people he did that to, and take responsibility for his actions, and he blew it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I completely agree. That filter is never going to leave now, which kinda ruins his sets. Louis messed it up on his own though too. If there was a dude people were actually willing to forgive Louis would have been it. All he had to do was apologize to the people he did that to, and take responsibility for his actions, and he blew it.
What do you mean? Didn't he?

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

If you could call it that. I wouldn’t. Most importantly his victims didn’t either.

And I don’t think I’m being overly harsh on him as he used to be one of my faves and I got the pleasure (at the time) of meeting him outside the comedy cellar once.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If you could call it that. I wouldn’t. Most importantly his victims didn’t either.

And I don’t think I’m being overly harsh on him as he used to be one of my faves and I got the pleasure (at the time) of meeting him outside the comedy cellar once.
Was there an outcry over that or something? I didn't really follow the news after the admission.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

He did. In private, years before the stuff came out I'm pretty sure. Still, that poster is right. Louis CK struck me as the one who was the most ripe for a comeback/forgiveness from the public because of the ambiguity of his acts + the public's love for him and I think he blew it. Oh well. I'll still follow his projects.

Sep 19, 2008
Comedy has always been about edge. Jeff Ross made a reference to the Denver shooting at the movie theater and Carrot Top during a roast, and never apologized.

In addition

Comedy Central to Cut Paul Walker Jokes From Justin Bieber Roast Broadcast

“‘Move bitch, get out of the way!’ is what Paul Walker should’ve told that tree,” roast veteran Jeff Ross said during his set, referencing Ludacris’ hit song “Move Bitch.” “Too soon? Too fast? Too furious?”

“Just this past year, Justin got arrested for drag racing,” said “Saturday Night Live” star and roaster Pete Davidson. “Unfortunately, it wasn’t with Paul Walker. What? He’s doing great! He’s got a movie coming out!”

Louis CK has built a reputation around edge and "f***ed up thoughts". Comics are f***ed up people by default. Burr isn't immune to this either. He points out in one of his latest Netflix standups about the cruise and killing off most of the world because it's too crowded. :laugh: In the end, nobody's being f***ing serious.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
The more I watch Burr, the more I really, really dislike him.

I don't think dislike is fair but malaise might be. I know someone who said that he puts out so much material now through his podcasts and frequent TV appearances and F is for Family that you might get a bit bored. I admit sometimes I get bored when Bill starts reading emails from random people, or expands his interests by talking about following F1 or English Premier League (he recently was talking about how he was going to become a Liverpool fan and start following soccer). It's kind of uninteresting TBH.

When he's on with one of his rants or hot takes though, there's very few better.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't think dislike is fair but malaise might be. I know someone who said that he puts out so much material now through his podcasts and frequent TV appearances and F is for Family that you might get a bit bored. I admit sometimes I get bored when Bill starts reading emails from random people, or expands his interests by talking about following F1 or English Premier League (he recently was talking about how he was going to become a Liverpool fan and start following soccer). It's kind of uninteresting TBH.

When he's on with one of his rants or hot takes though, there's very few better.
It's possible to just put out too much. Joe Rogan's podcast is one I enjoy from time to time, but he does so many of them that he ends up talking about the same exact topics over and over. Now I basically just listen when he has a guest I'm interested in on.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Uhh, I don't think that you can say that it's unfair to simply dislike someone.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Malaise for you, but still definitely dislike for me. Is that fair? I definitely don't give a shit--I don't like the guy.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Comedy has always been about edge. Jeff Ross made a reference to the Denver shooting at the movie theater and Carrot Top during a roast, and never apologized.

In addition

Comedy Central to Cut Paul Walker Jokes From Justin Bieber Roast Broadcast

Louis CK has built a reputation around edge and "****ed up thoughts". Comics are ****ed up people by default. Burr isn't immune to this either. He points out in one of his latest Netflix standups about the cruise and killing off most of the world because it's too crowded. :laugh: In the end, nobody's being ****ing serious.

I completely agree with you even though im not a huge Burr fan and that’s mainly because of the rant style. Just never been my thing for some reason.

I totally appreciate the guy though because he is great at his craft in something that is not easy. I definitely get why people like him a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad