Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Boy. BA sure talked a big game. Looks like he’s done just about Jack Shit.
You don’t jump at the first offer you get.

Armstrong has leverage in both of his largest trade chips:
  • OEL: Vancouver is starting to feel the pressure of its cap issues. Missing out on Toffoli could now create a sense of urgency to “not miss out on” OEL as well. Now add the Friday deadline from OEL’s agent and the Yotes are in a good spot. Worst case they don’t budge and you hold on to your #1 Dman.
  • Kuemper: Elite goalie on an excellent contract. Goalie market will probably be congested until FA opens. No need to rush this either.
Not sure what you were expecting to happen up until this point? I don’t believe many posters here expected the Yotes to participate in the 2020 1st round... or even 2nd round for that matter.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You don’t jump at the first offer you get.

Armstrong has leverage in both of his largest trade chips:
  • OEL: Vancouver is starting to feel the pressure of its cap issues. Missing out on Toffoli could now create a sense of urgency to “not miss out on” OEL as well. Now add the Friday deadline from OEL’s agent and the Yotes are in a good spot. Worst case they don’t budge and you hold on to your #1 Dman.
  • Kuemper: Elite goalie on an excellent contract. Goalie market will probably be congested until FA opens. No need to rush this either.
Not sure what you were expecting to happen up until this point? I don’t believe many posters here expected the Yotes to participate in the 2020 1st round... or even 2nd round for that matter.
The only hope was Keumper and I’ll be honest I wasn’t jumping up in down with excitement after Lapierre came off the board. If all we were being offered was later 1sts then we made the right call.

Reactions: AZhockey1991

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I don’t agree with punting on this draft completely just because BA can’t participate. At the end of the day. It’s an opportunity to build your prospect capital, something we desperately need to do as we stare down the rebuilding barrel. Just throwing this draft in the trash and focusing on next year? Okay. We trade OEL to Boston or Vancouver for a first next year. That first is likely in the mid-late 20’s. That’s a pick we won’t see until 2024-25 at the absolute earliest.

I wish BA could’ve found a way to get a piece today. He trusts jankowski to run this draft, that means this draft still matters, and they’re still drafting pieces that BA will be evaluating and developing. And now almost every other team has built their capital while we lost out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He said we needed picks. He didn't get any. He said we needed a culture change. We got Grabner and Vinny. LOL.

The draft is a deadline for things to move. We have another one in a couple of days, so we'll see what happens.

So far I've seen a lifelong amateur scout, see to his amateur scouting department as the top priority, despite having no picks, and do basically nothing else. It's early, but I better see something before noon on Friday, or I'm going to start to suspect that talk is very cheap.

We've had a lot of lip-service around here over the years. We'll find out how much more we have in-store for us.

Reactions: JasonDemersIsOkay

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Things could still happen. He could make a move in a couple days that includes a player that was picked in this draft. You never know. Chayka made a lot of moves and where did that get us? I hated most of the moves he made. I much prefer holding out for good deals or do nothing. Dealing our best players and picks for average at best/players who've already maxed out their potential isn't going to help us build a contender. That's what Chayka did. Hopefully Armstrong is holding out for players that have real upside/potential/room to grow. I'm probably the person who likes Captain Diver the least on this board and I'd rather keep him than get an underwhelming return. He's too talented not to get A+ prospects/picks.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's nice to have a deadline with OEL to have some finality to it and to know when and if something will happen.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Disappointing night, but maybe BA will have the ability to stockpile a ton of picks in 2021 when he can participate and they’ll knock of the park. Possibly - 2021 1st in a Kuemper deal + 2021 1st and maybe 2nd in an OEL deal + maybe a late 1st/2nd in a Schmaltz deal + whatever you can get in the offseason or at the deadline for Stepan, Goose, possibly Raanta...there’s a chance if they play their cards right to have a pretty high draft pick in 2021, and have a shitload of them.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I was also thinking that perhaps people are still too used to how Chayka did things. He was abnormally active in trades.

There are many factors into why things could be harder for him to get deals done this off season. It's the craziest one he's likely ever been a part in. (Probably goes for everyone)

I'm just hoping for good trades. Not idiot trades like Kessel and Hall.

Also, if he fires Tocchet that will make me happy enough. Haha

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So far I've seen a lifelong amateur scout, see to his amateur scouting department as the top priority, despite having no picks, and do basically nothing else. It's early, but I better see something before noon on Friday, or I'm going to start to suspect that talk is very cheap.
Boy the threshold for toasters around here are really, really low.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Ecstatic that BA has not made a splash just to make a splash. He is doing what a GREAT GM does and that is be patient.

We can dissect his moves when he makes a real move, but the guy has been on the job what two weeks, is cleaning house, hiring long term staff and btw...there is this thing called the draft he cannot participate in except to make trades.

Any good GM would know that you need to meld the scout, the coach and the GM to make really good trades and acquire the right assets at a draft, particularly when you have no picks for 20 rounds. That's a little hard to do when you can't communicate with your scout by agreement and do you really want input from RT?

Give the guy a chance to blow it all before you decide he has blown it all. If anyone is not happy with BA at this point, you can WISH for Chayka's return. That will make you feel better. I am overjoyed!

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not worried unless he does absolutely nothing by a week from now, which seems impossible.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Not worried unless he does absolutely nothing by a week from now, which seems impossible.
Even then with the season start in limbo, I bet a lot of the free agents just sit on the vine for quite some time. When/if the season starts, that's when I'll give Armstrong his first grade. Or if he blows the OEL trade completely. But mostly until I see what opening night's roster is going to look like, I'm not going to grade it half through.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We've got to add some more small soft guys so we can "intimidate other teams with our speed... or maybe by taking a big hit and getting back up again"-- Head Coach Rick Tocchet

Reactions: knich

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I guess a lot of you need to check your user settings. You may be ignoring the word “if” and the phrases “we’ll see” and “so far”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad