Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How do we feel about this if true boys? I dont know anything about the ops side of the game. We excited? Pissed?

Armstrong basically helped build the Blues cup winning team and has served under some quality people. I'm fine with it. I'm sure he's of the same philosophy as Sullivan at this point.

He's Futa, but Futa has been 'cast out' somewhat and Armstrong is continuing to climb.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Armstrong basically helped build the Blues cup winning team and has served under some quality people. I'm fine with it. I'm sure he's of the same philosophy as Sullivan at this point.

He's Futa, but Futa has been 'cast out' somewhat and Armstrong is continuing to climb.
There’s some behind the scenes St Louis draft stuff out there and I was always very impressed with him.

Reactions: Jormungandr

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Armstrong was my favorite of the noted contenders. I really wanted someone from outside the organization brought in. Someone from a successful organization like St.Louis. Armstrong is that. Sean Burke was not

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Armstrong was my favorite of the noted contenders. I really wanted someone from outside the organization brought in. Someone from a successful organization like St.Louis. Armstrong is that. Sean Burke was not

I think if you split the difference between Futa and Shero/Hextall you end up with Bill Armstrong. Someone associated with a winning franchise that has touched every facet, but also has no red flags at all. Hextall has 'communication' issues. Futa's contract wasn't renewed, essentially firing him. Burke has never sat in the chair. Shero was involved with NJ and has been fired a couple times.

It's also possible Sullivan and Armstrong are very aligned and want to bring in MVR to coach.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think Armstrong’s a solid hire. Good drafting track record. If he keeps Sully as his AGM that about guarantees Van Ryn’s our next coach.

I almost wonder if Sully is seen as a good guy when it comes to the roster management side of things, like trades/signings. Then Armstrong is a drafting/scouting whiz. That’s total speculation and thinking out loud on my part though

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I think if you split the difference between Futa and Shero/Hextall you end up with Bill Armstrong. Someone associated with a winning franchise that has touched every facet, but also has no red flags at all. Hextall has 'communication' issues. Futa's contract wasn't renewed, essentially firing him. Burke has never sat in the chair. Shero was involved with NJ and has been fired a couple times.

It's also possible Sullivan and Armstrong are very aligned and want to bring in MVR to coach.
I agree. My actual favorite was Ron Hextall. My brother is a flyers fan and I’ve followed them closely for years. I just didn’t consider him an actual candidate based off the reports coming out lately. The only 3 real candidates,IMO, were Sullivan, Armstrong, and Burke.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
And I don’t believe, for a second, that while having discussions with Armstrong we kept him in the dark about the whole OEL/Kuemper situations. I’m sure will hit the ground running in that regard.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Armstrong’s a solid hire. Good drafting track record. If he keeps Sully as his AGM that about guarantees Van Ryn’s our next coach.

I almost wonder if Sully is seen as a good guy when it comes to the roster management side of things, like trades/signings. Then Armstrong is a drafting/scouting whiz. That’s total speculation and thinking out loud on my part though

I think it's a very, very strong possibility Sullivan has been pushing for a 'developer' type coach like MVR to come in to replace Tocchet, and Bill Armstrong probably lit up at this in a positive way when the Meruelos/XG cross examined this idea with him.

I think the interviews, more than anything, revealed to them that Sullivan had the right read and is more widely respected around the league than they previously thought.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully Armstrong has some dirt on Blues management that nets us Thomas somehow in a lopsided deal.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I’d like to know exactly what facets Armstrong has touched. He might be great. I don’t know. He seems like an amazing scout. As for contracts and trades and hiring and firing...?!?!?!? No track-record.

Reactions: 87turbobuick

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
If it’s Armstrong, almost guarantee Sully stays on as AGM...but I have a gut feeling this might end up being Armstrong as President of Hockey Ops - Sully as GM. Kind of like whoever was saying earlier in the thread, I can’t remember...but basically Sully running point on signings and trades and Armstrong overseeing scouting mostly. I just don’t want Sully leaving for NSH or something like that. I think he’s a good guy to have around.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If it’s Armstrong, almost guarantee Sully stays on as AGM...but I have a gut feeling this might end up being Armstrong as President of Hockey Ops - Sully as GM. Kind of like whoever was saying earlier in the thread, I can’t remember...but basically Sully running point on signings and trades and Armstrong overseeing scouting mostly. I just don’t want Sully leaving for NSH or something like that. I think he’s a good guy to have around.

He has run one of the best scouting operations in the league for 10 years as the head guy. I'm sure that's a huge part of the appeal if he is the hire. If you need someone to rebuild hockey ops, he's probably your guy.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like the scouting background of Armstrong but that's pretty much his resume. No AGM work of running the AHL team. Would be curious what his AGM duties were in STL. Main concern is Armstrong addition may lead to exit of Sullivan and potentially end the talk of OEL, Kuemper trades. Hopefully not.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He has run one of the best scouting operations in the league for 10 years as the head guy. I'm sure that's a huge part of the appeal if he is the hire. If you need someone to rebuild hockey ops, he's probably your guy.
Who are their great draft picks in those 10 years? Most of their lineup came from trades or drafted over 10 years ago.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Key picks by STL since Armstrong took over as head scout in 2010:

1/14 Schwartz
1/16 Tarasenko
2/46 Joel Edmundson
3/88 Jordan Binnington
3/86 Colton Parayko
1/21 Robby Fabbri
2/33 Ivan Barbashev
2/56 Vince Dunn
1/26 Tage Thompson
2/35 Jordan Kyrou
1/20 Robert Thomas
1/31 Klim Kostin

Almost no success after the opening few rounds, though that's not all that uncommon and the above is likely 10x better than what we have produced over the same timeframe.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Jordan Kyrou is a guy I’ve quietly been wanting to poach. Seems like he might be stuck a little in St. Louis with Thomas as the preferred youngster at center.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Key picks by STL since Armstrong took over as head scout in 2010:

1/14 Schwartz
1/16 Tarasenko
2/46 Joel Edmundson
3/88 Jordan Binnington
3/86 Colton Parayko
1/21 Robby Fabbri
2/33 Ivan Barbashev
2/56 Vince Dunn
1/26 Tage Thompson
2/35 Jordan Kyrou
1/20 Robert Thomas
1/31 Klim Kostin

Almost no success after the opening few rounds, though that's not all that uncommon and the above is likely 10x better than what we have produced over the same timeframe.
Well that's a pretty low bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad