Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You get far more detail and insight from Craig than any other news outlet when it comes to Coyotes content. If you're a Coyotes fan you should subscribe imo, unless you're very poor or very cheap.

If Craig can make money on Coyotes Insider we've created a market for Coyotes content and maybe more and better insiders will emerge.
I'm cheap. I spend my money wisely.:)

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
You get far more detail and insight from Craig than any other news outlet when it comes to Coyotes content. If you're a Coyotes fan you should subscribe imo, unless you're very poor or very cheap.

If Craig can make money on Coyotes Insider we've created a market for Coyotes content and maybe more and better insiders will emerge.

I am not sure why the lovefest with Morgan. He has been a reporter for years and I have never really thought of him as an insider. I think we got more insight from the female reporter (sorry can't recall her name) than Morgan. But perhaps one of you Morgan enthusiasts can enlighten me about what kind of insight he offers that you just can't get anywhere else? The only thing I recall really liking about his reporting was when the Yotes laid an egg he would call a spade a spade. I had the Athletic for a year (so I could read Morgan articles) and I don't think a single article he wrote justified my keeping the subscription.

I'll pay the $5 if someone can convince probably several of us how he is truly an insider. Thus far, and in my experience, what people are quoting from Morgan is hardly insider stuff. Insider stuff is e.g. RT is going to be fired next week based on reliable sources and then he gets fired. Not RT is going to get fired maybe in the next year and then he gets fired and Morgan says as I stated in an article a year ago I thought RT might get fired.

Another insider example might be OEL really hates Phil Kessel because Kessel won't stop eating hot dogs, refuses to listen to OEL and Hammer, prefers to hang out at Scottsdale night clubs than practice and thinks Keumper is overrated.
RT really laid in to the team last night after the game and called OEL the biggest wimp in the league for not fighting Patrick Kane who challenged him to a fight. He told the D core they were soft privately even though he praised them after the game publicly.
Chayka is in contact with another team about a possible GM position and ownership has given the approval. This is developing story...and he reports on it weeks before Chayka quits. I don't expect him to know Chayka will quit but if he is an insider he should know more before everyone else. And then when he learns he should have more facts than anyone else. I think you get the picture.

I prefer to get my "facts" in real time not well after the fact. BTW... does Morgan have inside info on what the Yotes will do today at the draft? What are their priorities? Will they trade someone unexpected? I don't mean pure speculation but facts?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I am not sure why the lovefest with Morgan. He has been a reporter for years and I have never really thought of him as an insider. I think we got more insight from the female reporter (sorry can't recall her name) than Morgan. But perhaps one of you Morgan enthusiasts can enlighten me about what kind of insight he offers that you just can't get anywhere else? The only thing I recall really liking about his reporting was when the Yotes laid an egg he would call a spade a spade. I had the Athletic for a year (so I could read Morgan articles) and I don't think a single article he wrote justified my keeping the subscription.

I'll pay the $5 if someone can convince probably several of us how he is truly an insider. Thus far, and in my experience, what people are quoting from Morgan is hardly insider stuff. Insider stuff is e.g. RT is going to be fired next week based on reliable sources and then he gets fired. Not RT is going to get fired maybe in the next year and then he gets fired and Morgan says as I stated in an article a year ago I thought RT might get fired.

Another insider example might be OEL really hates Phil Kessel because Kessel won't stop eating hot dogs, refuses to listen to OEL and Hammer, prefers to hang out at Scottsdale night clubs than practice and thinks Keumper is overrated.
RT really laid in to the team last night after the game and called OEL the biggest wimp in the league for not fighting Patrick Kane who challenged him to a fight. He told the D core they were soft privately even though he praised them after the game publicly.
Chayka is in contact with another team about a possible GM position and ownership has given the approval. This is developing story...and he reports on it weeks before Chayka quits. I don't expect him to know Chayka will quit but if he is an insider he should know more before everyone else. And then when he learns he should have more facts than anyone else. I think you get the picture.

I prefer to get my "facts" in real time not well after the fact. BTW... does Morgan have inside info on what the Yotes will do today at the draft? What are their priorities? Will they trade someone unexpected? I don't mean pure speculation but facts?
There is no such thing as what you want.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I won’t pay $5.00 per month for fluff. I too had the Athletic for a year, hoping his articles had value - they did not.
As an antidote for those who imply their $5.00 is helping generate interest in the team - the cheap among us don’t purchase game tickets, doing so would be much more beneficial to the franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: knich and Jakey53

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping

This is just silly. No subscription is gonna provide you with this type of content. You head for Twitter for the breaking news stuff. What Craig does is he's providing us with quotes and inside information. Not breaking stuff. But he will often fill in the blanks after the Twitter accounts has broken their story in 140 characters.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Look I like Morgan. He gives us very good coverage in a market where there is literally nobody else and what options exist outside of Morgan you are not sure they have watched hockey more than a year or two.

he’s never going to break deals because he doesn’t have contacts in the nhl office who register contracts like the insiders. They get the first call because they are national. Morgan is régional. He gets leftovers.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He just broke Hinostrozo not being qualified.

Basically, Morgan is on the e-mail list of the league's transactions office, and he broke this story because it's only really important news to this market.

I don't mind Craig. He's a Blackhawks fan trying to cover the Coyotes, so he's a bit of a representative of the same affliction this franchise has faced its whole existence in Arizona. He does have a little bit more of a pulse of the team because he is in more consistent contact with them than we can be. That said, if Elliotte Friedman and Craig are trying to get a scoop, Friedge will get it while the team has Craig on hold.

I don't hold this against him. It's a tough world, trying to eke out a living as the sole dedicated correspondent of the least-beloved franchise in the fourth-ranked Big Four North American pro sport. I'm glad he's making the effort.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think The Athletic has turned into a bit of a shithole recently.

It's too much stuff, much of it not worth reading. Plus the pricing model is unfair to existing customers.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I won’t pay $5.00 per month for fluff. I too had the Athletic for a year, hoping his articles had value - they did not.
As an antidote for those who imply their $5.00 is helping generate interest in the team - the cheap among us don’t purchase game tickets, doing so would be much more beneficial to the franchise.

Exactly...I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the Yotes during their time in the valley. My point is that Morgan can be so much better (I really want to like the guy's reporting) if he pushed the envelope more and did what a journalist is supposed to do. But no he prefers to stay in his lane. As a result, you get fluff. This why is why so many newspapers are losing subscriptions because they no longer report real news. And the statement is not intended to be political...just factual.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This why is why so many newspapers are losing subscriptions because they no longer report real news. And the statement is not intended to be political...just factual.

This is true - not in the "FAKE NEWS!!" horse crap that is spewed for political purposes, but because clickbait sells, and a lot of outlets have pivoted to that model because they've discovered that people with short attention spans don't care much for substance.

Reactions: _Del_

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Exactly...I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on the Yotes during their time in the valley. My point is that Morgan can be so much better (I really want to like the guy's reporting) if he pushed the envelope more and did what a journalist is supposed to do. But no he prefers to stay in his lane. As a result, you get fluff. This why is why so many newspapers are losing subscriptions because they no longer report real news. And the statement is not intended to be political...just factual.
It's a shame because he has hockey knowledge.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I mean there were rumbles about Tippet's departure for about a month going through the major media outlets, and Craig completely ignored it. Completely. As though it wasn't happening. Then his inside scoop was "Tippett is at the draft with the team" practically minutes before the news he was fired got out.

But AFTER the fact, he gets to say "There have been rumours of a breakdown in the relationship for several months..." "For months" you say? Well, why didn't you mention it at any time? That would be a good story to break. Even if you decided discretion was the better part of valour, once the news was being widely circulated by all the national outlets for weeks that something was up, THAT might have been an adequate time to comment. Instead, complete radio silence.

That's why it's not worth $5 to me. He's not a journalist. He's a publicist. I'm sure he's a great guy. I'm not telling other people how to spend their money. If you are happy with your $5 investment, which is a pittance, then more power to you. I just don't think there's any meat and potatoes there. I've never felt like I'm missing anything, and I'll continue to rib him when he bills himself an "insider" but is constantly scooped by people out of the market or Gambo, who everyone agrees is basically a clown.

Reactions: RemoAZ and knich

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I mean there were rumbles about Tippet's departure for about a month going through the major media outlets, and Craig completely ignored it. Completely. As though it wasn't happening. Then his inside scoop was "Tippett is at the draft with the team" practically minutes before the news he was fired got out.

But AFTER the fact, he gets to say "There have been rumours of a breakdown in the relationship for several months..." "For months" you say? Well, why didn't you mention it at any time? That would be a good story to break. Even if you decided discretion was the better part of valour, once the news was being widely circulated by all the national outlets for weeks that something was up, THAT might have been an adequate time to comment. Instead, complete radio silence.

That's why it's not worth $5 to me. He's not a journalist. He's a publicist. I'm sure he's a great guy. I'm not telling other people how to spend their money. If you are happy with your $5 investment, which is a pittance, then more power to you. I just don't think there's any meat and potatoes there. I've never felt like I'm missing anything, and I'll continue to rib him when he bills himself an "insider" but is constantly scooped by people out of the market or Gambo, who everyone agrees is basically a clown.

This is so true. He actually markets himself as an "insider. "

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Boy. BA sure talked a big game. Looks like he’s done just about Jack Shit.
Lol. He hung on to value. Although I suspect the Flames will be flipping a couple of 3rd round picks for Hall’s rights tomorrow. Pure speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad