Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I can see why Meruelo and Gutierez are so excited about Armstrong. Meruelo had liked what Chayka for a good portion of his time, but most of the recent news makes it sound like we were never running a full-fledged organization. The reorganization of the team from head to toe is really good to read about, and makes me think Chayka's involvement in the illegal testing may have been a blessing in disguise. For Meruelo to be able to front the money for Armstrong to make all these new hires it cannot be cheap, and yet we weren't hearing of Chayka expanding departments or anything once Meruelo got here and he had almost a full year to do so, so it's hard to not question why he wouldn't have been doing that after such a transition in financial wherewithal occurred when Meruelo took over from Barroway.

Were it not for his trading futures for Hall too early on our trajectory, and were it not for his overseeing a department involved in illegal testing, I would say Chayka had been quite the improvement over most of what we'd ever had, so watching this set-up that Armstrong is doing is just so encouraging and great to watch. Again, I think the outcome with Armstrong and dealing with the loss of picks in upcoming drafts is going to be better than if Chayka had not lost the picks and remained. Even if Chayka were to show prescience in the draft, I don't think Armstrong is going to be far behind that level, and yet Armstrong brings strength to every other aspect of the organization, so a net win overall for sure.

Reactions: Surfshop

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Remember when Dave Tippett had final say on hockey ops decisions -- according to Chayka himself... I do... Probably why they didn't bother with an outside hire. Noone qualified was going to accept having the coach as their boss.

ETA: thanks to rt, I only have to search "posterity chayka" to find the link to his own words

I'm going to drop this here for posterity.

In a few months and every few months after that, I anticipate we will continue to hear challenges to the claim that Dave Tippett had the final say on all hockey ops related issues. It will be dismissed as exaggeration and speculation.

So here is John Chayka admitting to John Gambo (last three minutes of interview) that his job is to bring information to Tippett and that Dave Tippett has the final say.

Podcast Player Archives - Arizona Sports

Just for reference when the inevitable challenges come up. We can easily search "posterity" and find this link.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This place loves to twist a narrative. lol. A lot like how the further we get from the Domi trade the more he magically becomes more of a villain without a shred of supporting evidence.

Reactions: _Del_

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This place loves to twist a narrative. lol. A lot like how the further we get from the Domi trade the more he magically becomes more of a villain without a shred of supporting evidence.
There’s been enough smoke from the Nattie Hattie podcast on Domi. Even today’s deep dive article makes a reference to the situation.

the relationship with AZ was soured when we sent him back to junior the second time.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Ryan Jankowski

BUF
2018 - Dir. Am. Scouting
2019 - Dir. Am. Scouting

^ Tough to figure just which picks might've been his.

He signs off on all the picks :D looks like two Czechs have impressed since their drafts (4th round - Pekar and 6th round - Rousek). I dont see any Czech scouts fired, but there are two Swedish ones which may have spotted those guys. Isn't @hbk 's brother a Sabres fan that could give us more backstory (if we do get Jankowski, is it official?)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He signs off on all the picks :D looks like two Czechs have impressed since their drafts (4th round - Pekar and 6th round - Rousek). I dont see any Czech scouts fired, but there are two Swedish ones which may have spotted those guys. Isn't @hbk 's brother a Sabres fan that could give us more backstory (if we do get Jankowski, is it official?)
So far all I’ve gotten from my bro is a comment that the Sabres drafting wasn’t an issue in recent years; it was development.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Morgan tweeted this morning that Jankowski is more than likely going to be hired as the new director of scouting.

Nothing confirmed but he’s saying all the signs a pointing that direction.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A little odd that we're 3 days removed from the Army/Toch meeting and haven't heard anything, whether it be from Gambo or Craig or whomever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad