Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
McRae was with London at one point, other guy is just a cheap video scout.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
There’s been enough smoke from the Nattie Hattie podcast on Domi. Even today’s deep dive article makes a reference to the situation.

the relationship with AZ was soured when we sent him back to junior the second time.
That seems crazy that the relationship remained bad for 3 years after he was returned to juniors where he became a Canadian hero at the WJC. That doesn't add up to me.

Reactions: RemoAZ and _Del_

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So what's that, five firings so far? Hofford, Goldberg, Rossen, and these two scouts? Anyone else?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
So what's that, five firings so far? Hofford, Goldberg, Rossen, and these two scouts? Anyone else?
I thought I'd read that they had gotten rid of the entire video scouting staff already with some of the earlier cuts across the organization. I'd rather not try and find the source for that, if I'm not misremembering. Regardless, though, it's possible that they axed several individuals prior to his hiring that he would have axed himself.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Would be nice if after cleaning out everybody involved in that fiasco we're able to contest the penalty somehow and get it reduced. Either that or Betman dings New Jersey for tampering and we get some picks from them. Worst part of the whole thing is Chayka walks away with a job that probably pays more and we the fans get screwed. He f***ed us by trading a bunch of picks and prospects then doubles down by costing us more picks on the way out. f*** him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Would be nice if after cleaning out everybody involved in that fiasco we're able to contest the penalty somehow and get it reduced. Either that or Betman dings New Jersey for tampering and we get some picks from them. Worst part of the whole thing is Chayka walks away with a job that probably pays more and we the fans get screwed. He f***ed us by trading a bunch of picks and prospects then doubles down by costing us more picks on the way out. f*** him.
If they’re able to bring in a Team President that the league loves, I wonder if we have a chance at an appeal. If we ditch all of the people that had any involvement, restock our scouting department with solid, league vouched for, professionals and with BA at the helm, maybe the owners around the league and their proxy Bettman will let Meruelo off the hook a little.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I thought one of the interviews gave a bit of insight. The interviewer asked "how do you get those picks back?" talking about guys being traded, but Armstrong answers, "That's a good question, and something we're definitely going to be looking into... Wait do you mean from the league, or in a trade?"
So they obviously plan to petition for some kind of relief, but I wouldn't count on it working.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I thought I'd read that they had gotten rid of the entire video scouting staff already with some of the earlier cuts across the organization. I'd rather not try and find the source for that, if I'm not misremembering. Regardless, though, it's possible that they axed several individuals prior to his hiring that he would have axed himself.

Yes those were pre-Armstrong.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn’t be shocked if in a year from now we’re given back the 2021 pick or its reduced to another pick. Easier to sweep under the rug when the problem is less current.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought one of the interviews gave a bit of insight. The interviewer asked "how do you get those picks back?" talking about guys being traded, but Armstrong answers, "That's a good question, and something we're definitely going to be looking into... Wait do you mean from the league, or in a trade?"
So they obviously plan to petition for some kind of relief, but I wouldn't count on it working.
They gave Lou his first back with the Kovalchuk contract.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

That was a subtle point I missed. Thanks. Gives a little hope they are working on it.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Looks like Armstrong is going to get some business side duties. Might explain why he’s willing to jump in here.

Arizona Coyotes' Gutierrez receives NHL-wide support in GM search

The more I hear Gutierrez talk, the more I like him. It takes balls to admit you have a lot to learn. He says that openly and that he's committed to seeking the knowledge and expertise of his team. I like that because I believe it's just as important to know and embrace what you're not good at as it is where you accel. He sounds like a good manager which is what this organization has needed at the top imo. Hopefully he follows through with what he's said so far.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

I'd be very surprised if Jersey still ends up hiring Chayka. Imo he's done in this league because he wrecked his own reputation by doing things like leaving the team right before playoffs / lying to the league re: the draft picks etc. Very happy / relieved we're moving on

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
If they’re able to bring in a Team President that the league loves, I wonder if we have a chance at an appeal. If we ditch all of the people that had any involvement, restock our scouting department with solid, league vouched for, professionals and with BA at the helm, maybe the owners around the league and their proxy Bettman will let Meruelo off the hook a little.
Peter Chiarelli and a 1st round pick.

Do you say yes?

Reactions: Jakey53

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Peter Chiarelli and a 1st round pick.

Do you say yes?
Depends on the scope of his role.

Depends on the pick too. For an average 1st overall pick (Hischier, Hughes etc) that is a no. For Connor, Sid, or Ovi? Sure. For a superstar like Nate McKinnon or Kucherov? Probably but not 100% convinced. Probably a pass for a younger Taylor Hall as well but I could see that going either way (he took a long time to develop)

Hard no on anything less than a first overall. Actually I changed my mind, hard no regardless. Look at how bad Edmonton has been even with all those 1OAs (including Connor)

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

this is interesting. Do you remember which interview?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What? They’re not going to hire a Pres of Hockey Ops now. That would have been done before Army.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I'd be very surprised if Jersey still ends up hiring Chayka. Imo he's done in this league because he wrecked his own reputation by doing things like leaving the team right before playoffs / lying to the league re: the draft picks etc. Very happy / relieved we're moving on
Agreed to an extent. I doubt New Jersey is willing to risk getting caught in the fallout any more than they already may be. I think the reputation he's ruined may not apply to a more confined role involved in analytics, but surely it would be while before a team wanted to take him on. My guess is he just works for Stathletes or does some consulting for a while until opportunities come up, but I really doubt there'll ever be a GM position. Aside from everything you've brought up that damages him, Armstrong's revamping of the organization shows how much else there was to improve behind the scenes that Chayka neglected. It all adds up to him needing to make huge strides before some one would take a chance on him again as GM.

Reactions: Surfshop

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I doubt there is any chance of the league returning some of those picks.

The whole stretchgate thing really upset MANY other franchises, the punishment seems to have put a lid on that. So I cannot see why the league would want to reopen that can of worms.

To appeal would also be a terrible look for the Coyotes, at a time when the franchise is clearly desperately trying to regain a degree of respectability with the league, with the other franchises and in the media.

I don't think it would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad