Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just reading it now. I like how real he is, like in his post-playing career realization of, "f***, I gotta sell cars now." Gave me a good chuckle.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I thought XG presented himself very well and is a very intelligent well spoken man. In a different interview GMBA was asked if he could have dinner with one person, who would it be and he answered XG. He said XG is by far the most fascinating human being he has ever meet in his life. That is high praise. AM didn't get where he is today by hiring dumb people. I really believe the Coyotes are in good hands. Just one more major move and I will be more than happy.:)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I thought XG presented himself very well and is a very intelligent well spoken man. In a different interview GMBA was asked if he could have dinner with one person, who would it be and he answered XG. He said XG is by far the most fascinating human being he has ever meet in his life. That is high praise. AM didn't get where he is today by hiring dumb people. I really believe the Coyotes are in good hands. Just one more major move and I will be more than happy.:)

He definitely presents himself well, but I did not like his "answer" to the question about the late payments in the presser. The late payments (as well as pay-by-check rather than direct deposit) were not an existing thing that Meruelo inherited from Barroway or any owners before him. That started with this ownership group. So, at the risk of sounding like a cynic, I'm still on the fence about the upper management team with this ownership group.

Reactions: Surfshop

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He definitely presents himself well, but I did not like his "answer" to the question about the late payments in the presser. The late payments (as well as pay-by-check rather than direct deposit) were not an existing thing that Meruelo inherited from Barroway or any owners before him. That started with this ownership group. So, at the risk of sounding like a cynic, I'm still on the fence about the upper management team with this ownership group.
Each to their own. I'm more than happy with the direction this team is going, and with ownership.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

None of the previous groups had to deal with a pandemic either.

Barroway would have been sunk. We both know that.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
None of the previous groups had to deal with a pandemic either.

Barroway would have been sunk. We both know that.

Of course. And I myself have mentioned how especially hard the pandemic has hit entertainment and restaurant properties. I am well aware of the financial challenges we're all facing.

But the recurring late payments and the payment methodology speak more to me of a procedural issue and at best a lack of attention to detail rather than a lack of money. I expected more from an ownership group that has such widespread and successful ventures. Maybe some of that had to do with some of the now-cast-off personnel that Meruelo purged - that, anyway, is the generous interpretation.

What bothered me is that Gutierrez immediately went back to the well of "We need to renegotiate our deals with our business partners" rather than admit that the team might be on the hook for prejudicing their corporate and personnel relationships by their lack of diligence. I'm hoping that Bill Armstrong can help bring a bit of "Do Your Job" ethos to management as well as the locker room, because the last thing - the absolute last thing - this franchise needs is another ongoing soap opera about financial instability.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What impresses you most? Illegal player testing? Late payments to players? Non payment to landlord?
Chayka is to blame for the illegal testing, and I think when AM found out about it he started to micro manage Chayka and that is when everything went down hill. As far as the late payments go I have no idea what happened there but it was a black mark on the organization. The landlord not getting their money, I would just say get in line with every other landlord in the country, and if I was a tenant I sure would not pay the normal agreement in full.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of course. And I myself have mentioned how especially hard the pandemic has hit entertainment and restaurant properties. I am well aware of the financial challenges we're all facing.

But the recurring late payments and the payment methodology speak more to me of a procedural issue and at best a lack of attention to detail rather than a lack of money. I expected more from an ownership group that has such widespread and successful ventures. Maybe some of that had to do with some of the now-cast-off personnel that Meruelo purged - that, anyway, is the generous interpretation.

What bothered me is that Gutierrez immediately went back to the well of "We need to renegotiate our deals with our business partners" rather than admit that the team might be on the hook for prejudicing their corporate and personnel relationships by their lack of diligence. I'm hoping that Bill Armstrong can help bring a bit of "Do Your Job" ethos to management as well as the locker room, because the last thing - the absolute last thing - this franchise needs is another ongoing soap opera about financial instability.
You are selling AM short. He didn't get where he is today by not doing "diligence" with a business transaction,I will tell you that.

Reactions: cobra427

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You are selling AM short. He didn't get where he is today by not doing "diligence" with a business transaction,I will tell you that.

If Meruelo is directly or indirectly responsible for the late and non-payments, he's selling himself short. That's my point. In principle, I would agree with you that he could not have gotten where he is without being excruciatingly nitpicky on details, which is why this whole situation is so problematic in the first place.

Best case scenario is that they clean house, fix their s--t, and we never hear about this again.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Chayka is to blame for the illegal testing, and I think when AM found out about it he started to micro manage Chayka and that is when everything went down hill. As far as the late payments go I have no idea what happened there but it was a black mark on the organization. The landlord not getting their money, I would just say get in line with every other landlord in the country, and if I was a tenant I sure would not pay the normal agreement in full.
You think and you don’t know are what I read regarding the first two items. Regarding the last, I’m glad I raise my daughter with what are apparently better ethics than you. She started a business last fall and was closed down so to Covid - 19 for many months, but still made her rent. She’s since terminated her lease w/o prejudice and having to restructure her business. She is 24 and understands landlords have bills too, you know mortgages etc..

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The nonpayment to the landlord is a negotiating tactic. There are many reputable businesses out there playing hardball with their landlords due to seeing their revenue streams drop off a cliff. The late per diems and bonus payments are more concerning .
Definitely a negotiating tactic and typical of corporate bs.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Definitely a negotiating tactic and typical of corporate bs.

It's smart business. Look at all the bailouts corporations are getting during this damn pandemic. The rich are getting richer while the poor and middle class fall farther behind. It's happening daily right in front of us. Would be stupid for Murello not to follow suit. Hell, maybe he'll be able to use this to negotiate better terms on a shorter lease, like 5 years or something. He didn't become successful by paying retail.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It's smart business. Look at all the bailouts corporations are getting during this damn pandemic. The rich are getting richer while the poor and middle class fall farther behind. It's happening daily right in front of us. Would be stupid for Murello not to follow suit. Hell, maybe he'll be able to use this to negotiate better terms on a shorter lease, like 5 years or something. He didn't become successful by paying retail.
I’m getting richer and doing it ethically. It’s not hard, it just doesn’t suite the typical corporate mentality. And it certainly doesn’t cave to fear.

edit: a bailout is a different matter than shirking on a commitment.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We would be in Houston or Quebec right now if it wasn't for AM and he spent to the cap. Some people are just apparently never satisfied.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We would be in Houston or Quebec right now if it wasn't for AM and he spent to the cap. Some people are just apparently never satisfied.

We'd also be in Winnipeg if it wasn't for IceArizona. That didn't mean we let them skate past without a skeptical eye when they failed to deliver on their lease agreements.

You're damn right I hold Meruelo as this franchise's owner to an exacting standard. As a consumer, I'm sick to death of placing my trust in people who spin doctor around issues that wouldn't exist if they just did their job, to borrow GMBA's pet phrase.

All they've got to do to shut me up is FIX THEIR S--T.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You think and you don’t know are what I read regarding the first two items. Regarding the last, I’m glad I raise my daughter with what are apparently better ethics than you. She started a business last fall and was closed down so to Covid - 19 for many months, but still made her rent. She’s since terminated her lease w/o prejudice and having to restructure her business. She is 24 and understands landlords have bills too, you know mortgages etc..
Being smart has nothing to do with ethics. Some things are out of our control Maybe if your daughter didn't pay rent or negotiated her rent she would not have had to terminate her lease or restructure her business. At 24 she has much to learn about landlords, and that you can take to the bank. Famous last words "without prejudice". Lawyers love that phrase.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The nonpayment to the landlord is a negotiating tactic. There are many reputable businesses out there playing hardball with their landlords due to seeing their revenue streams drop off a cliff. The late per diems and bonus payments are more concerning .
This is normal to dispute the bill and not pay it. AM would be dumb to pay it.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Oh I agree about the soap opera thing.

I'm just not surprised (nor anyone should else) the Coyotes are looking to renegotiate deals. Also wouldn't be surprised if we aren't the only team doing it either. But we don't even know what they're looking to do, so to assume the worst just isn't my way of reacting.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm just not surprised (nor anyone should else) the Coyotes are looking to renegotiate deals. Also wouldn't be surprised if we aren't the only team doing it either. But we don't even know what they're looking to do, so to assume the worst just isn't my way of reacting.

Well, you're a better man than I am for making it through the past 20-odd years with a sense of benefit of the doubt still intact... :D

At any rate, the mess with Glendale is never going to be resolved in full. But the mess with their players and staff, to me, is the more immediate concern. That's got to be cleaned up and in haste. Even if it's a system where they have to tell players that payments may be deferred or delayed due to COVID, at least you implement that step and are transparent with your stakeholders. Of course they're not obligated to do this - but I've noticed that the organizations and corporations that don't take those steps are invariably the ones with short shelf lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad