Biggest Names Going Undrafted

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Because he went undrafted the 2nd time around, he now has the ability to sign with any team he seems fit. A better choice in my opinion than trying to break that Duck's roster.
Well you'd think going undrafted means teams aren't that interested in him...well of course unless they decide not to waste a draft pick and sign him after that, but still. Debatable either way at this point, he got a good QO so maybe he's just looking for more money.

He would of had a fair shot at making the Ducks roster after a year or so in AHL as a #6 possibly.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I have seen Yarullin at several tournament and he is awful D.
Pedan is my favorite Russian in 2011.

Ok, so the Worlds' U-18 assist leader among d-men, 2nd overall, +/- leader overall, 2nd in D-men scoring is awful. You must know something I don't.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
His stats is result of playing behind Kucherov, Grigorenko and Yakupov.
You can´t evaluate prospects by their stats.

Right. Throw the stats away. It was the other guys all the way. Stop being ridiculous. You don't lead a tournament just because of the other guys.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think it's waht we are going to see anyway in the next years. It's the new NHL. With the cap and the development of European leagues. From the Bobrovsky case we clearly see that there definitely is talent beyond the 7 rounds.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Konstantin Komarek. I still can't understand. Watched few SEL playoff games, he was gritty, good 2 way player with nice skill against grown men. Well maybe because he was austrian but many, many players were picked who has far less potential. He was a ready player.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Given Barclay Goodrow's season on a defensive minded team, I thought he did himself good enough to be selected. 24 goals and a guy his size is a decent enough package to work with.

I would have taken a flyer on him.

Matt Petgrave is another one. I mean, he got an invite to the U-20s so I thought there would be an interest in him from an NHL squad.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
Konstantin Komarek undrafter? WTF guy played in Elitserien 19 regular season games and 12 playoff games. Last years WJC he scored 5 goals in 6 games...

Konstantin Komarek. I still can't understand. Watched few SEL playoff games, he was gritty, good 2 way player with nice skill against grown men. Well maybe because he was austrian but many, many players were picked who has far less potential. He was a ready player.

This is something that I do not understand either, Komarek have been scouted by a few NHL-clubs and from what I could understand people from Toronto even flew to Luleå to have some talks with him.

He did it quite well when he got the chance during the regular season and he had an fantastic post-season aswell where he scored some important points and were one of the better forwards when Luleå almost reached the SEL-finals. Together with some really good WJCs that should, at least in my book, be enough to get drafted so I'm really surprised by this. I see him as a better prospect than quite many of the swedish players that got drafted but maybe the nationality makes it easier to pass on him than if he was a Swede.

Although, next season he is expected to get a bigger role in Luleå during the regular season so if he can continue with what he started last year I think a lot of NHL-clubs will get their eyes on him. Though I wouldn't mind if we could keep him for a long time in Luleå. :)

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Hard to believe nobody took a risk on Jonathan Parker. Got holes in his game but he has a deadly shot.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Leviathan;34191801[B said:
]Hard to believe nobody took a risk on Jonathan Parker[/B]. Got holes in his game but he has a deadly shot.

Yes & no.
More kids than not that are passed over once are passed over in their 2nd draft.

No need to spend a draft pick on him....he could have been signed after the 2010 draft and or can be signed now without having to spend a selection.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
To answer the OP, I suspect it's this guy.

Longest Name: Barnaby Marmaduke sets world record

Saturday, January 15, 2011
EDINBURGH, England -- Barnaby Usansky, 36, formerly known as Nicholas Usansky (Nick), is fascinated by words and added few new names by Deed Poll; his full name is now: Barnaby Marmaduke Aloysius Benjy Cobweb Dartagnan Egbert Felix Gaspar Humbert Ignatius Jayden Kasper Leroy Maximilian Neddy Obiajulu Pepin Quilliam Rosencrantz Sexton Teddy Upwood Vivatma Wayland Xylon Yardley Zachary Usansky - which sets the new world record for the Longest name (living person).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I believe if a player is not drafted they can go to camp with any team that lets them, and they can sign an ELC with any team

As per the CBA, this applies only for North American trained players but not Europeans. The Kings invited Martin Jones a few years back and signed him during the summer window for players with draft eligibility. A couple years ago, they brought in Czech defenseman Radko Gudas for the summer camp and really liked his play but they couldn't sign him since he hadn't played in North America yet. Gudas then played in the WHL and was drafted in the 3rd round in 2010.

NHL Fanatik*

Matt Killian and Joakim Ryan

Killian was listed as a potential first rounder in the year and ended up being ranked around 75 for NA skaters. Surprised he wasn't drafted in the 5-7th rounds. Was by far the best NJ high school player last year. Ryan also was supposed to go around the 6th/7th round. Played for Sweden in the U18s I believe, but his stock fell throughout the year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yes & no.
More kids than not that are passed over once are passed over in their 2nd draft.

No need to spend a draft pick on him....he could have been signed after the 2010 draft and or can be signed now without having to spend a selection.

Not to mention the fact that he's small and tends to be soft on a regular basis.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
Homer picks: Seth Griffith, I thought 100% he'd go in the 5th-7th round. He has decent size, a good nose for the net, he's a good competitor, and the best part is he's being coached by Dale Hunter. Also, Michael Houser.. the kid's very good. Quite the competitor and seemed like a 7th round steal to me.

And I'm surprised that Guillaume Asselin didn't get drafted.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How many times have you seen him play? :sarcasm:

He's from Kazan. So I probably have seen him play a lot more than you have. We're not talking about him going in the 2nd round. We're talking about him not being taken through 7 rounds.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Disappointed that Dylan Wruck didn't get selected.

He's tenacious. I can see a point producer putting those kind of numbers up and being passed on for size if he's a perimeter player, but Dylan Wruck is not a perimeter player.

I feel he will get picked next year after a 90 point season.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
He's from Kazan. So I probably have seen him play a lot more than you have. We're not talking about him going in the 2nd round. We're talking about him not being taken through 7 rounds.

If he was as good as his stats show, someone would have picked him up at least in seventh round. I don´t say that stats are worthless but could be very misleading. Shalunov stats were very average at most tournaments but he has intriguing tools, size, skills, shot which is the reason he was drafted. I´m not a fan of Shalunov and don´t think he will be regular NHL player in future(great tools, no toolbox) but he was worth of draft pick.
Yarullin was for example really painfull to watch in February at Five nations, his passes ended up regularly either on opposing sticks or hitting teammates ankles, skates or legs, his shots threatened more attendants up behind the net than goalies, turned the puck oved all the time rarely making good decision and his defensive game was non-existent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad