Biggest Names Going Undrafted

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Kinda sad for the kids that remain undrafted and had to walk out of the arena with their families and no jersey

Don Cherry says it pretty much every year and I agree that these guys on the 2nd day should stay home. There is no reason to be there when they have a small chance that they may be taken and are dejected when they aren't.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
You can spin things many ways, that being said there is alot of truth in this-

"You're better to not be picked than go late in the draft. Just limits you to one organization, and you're behind just as many people." In other words, better to be lower in the prospect pecking order of 30 potential NHL organizations than one that has the player's rights for the next two years." Justin Bourne

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorho...-of-the-unplucked-gems?urn=juniorhockey-wp283

saskavsfan

Jun 19, 2011
Mike McKee
Jeremy Boyce-Roteval
Brent Benson
Jesse Forsberg
Ben Conz
Myles Bell

Shocking to see some of these guys not go. Who else is a surprise?

Hey RS, I'm a blades follower (also avs fan too, pumped about the Siemens pick) but I know you see them play a whole lot more. Why do you think Benson's stock fell so much? He was a high bantam pick, I know his couple seasons with the blades haven't gone quite as well as was expected but I thought he would for sure still go in round 5 or 6. Think he'll pick up his game more when a few of the older guys are gone next season?

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
You can spin things many ways, that being said there is alot of truth in this-

"You're better to not be picked than go late in the draft. Just limits you to one organization, and you're behind just as many people." In other words, better to be lower in the prospect pecking order of 30 potential NHL organizations than one that has the player's rights for the next two years." Justin Bourne

While this might sound good in theory, there is a lot to be said for having an NHL organization looking out for your best interests.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
While this might sound good in theory, there is a lot to be said for having an NHL organization looking out for your best interests.

Very true.
On the same token some do and some don"t......ie do they put the player's interest over their own?

Another example....
Is it better to go at 210 and be 500' below the oceans surface on a teams radar and stuck with them for a 2 year minimum...likley you attend the prospect camp both years but are severly restricted......2 camps in 2 years......you are 12th RW in the system and no where to go

or

Be free to attend several prospect camps per year over the 2 years....with as many as perhaps 6 teams.......selecting the teams that have a void in the area of your skillsets

It is good to be drafted but in some later rounds it is not always the best for a player.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't understand how Stastny got passed over again. Maybe this speaks to why I'll never be a scout, but I would've nabbed him in the top half of the draft.

You and me both. I think I may have even picked him last year in our mock draft (or suggested him to someone). I also thought Machovsky looked as good as any other goalie that I got to see multiple times this year. A whole lot (closer to a "buttload") of Russian talent left on the board that I might have taken a chance on, too (I understand contract BS gets in the way). Two other guys I thought looked good enough to be late rounders were Adam Pettersson and Sean Kuraly. Can't believe neither got picked.

So yeah, who am I to judge.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Boyce-Rotevall.... Really surprised. I can't believe it. I had this guy pegged as a late 3rd round sleeper.

Also Conz. Kid I think would be a stud if taken a chance on and nurtured. Will probably go to KHL now and teams will regret losing him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don Cherry says it pretty much every year and I agree that these guys on the 2nd day should stay home. There is no reason to be there when they have a small chance that they may be taken and are dejected when they aren't.

The flipside of this would be a guy like Rob Zamuner. He was rated for the 1988 draft, sat through the whole thing, wasn't selected.

Heard an interview with him a few years ago where he said it was the turning point of his career. Got really mad, used it for motivation, had a monster year the next year and went on to a long NHL career.

Have heard a few other stories like that as well.

______

Bell is the big surprise this year but it would have been a PR nightmare for the team that picked him. If he gets everything sorted, makes amends the best he can, and has a good year next year he'll be selected then.

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö
Can't believe Gustav Björklund wasn't taken (SWE topscorer in WJC18 8p in 6 games).

Other Swedes:
Jeremy Boyce ofc
Viktor Arvidsson
Karl Johansson

Great overage-picks by VAN and MTL in Tömmernäs and Nygren. Impact players for their teams in SEL this year. Really like Tömmernäs.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Bjorklund and Boyce-Rotevall are surprises considering the number of Swedes that went (28!). I wonder what happened. I don't know a lot about Bjorklund, but Boyce-Rotevall played half the season in the SEL, had a solid U18s, and is one of the youngest players available in the entire draft. Hopefully lots of icetime in Sundsvall allows him to put up some numbers.

OnlyTheBrave*

Myles Bell was understandably undrafted. He got into an accident while drunk and killed his passenger. I'm not sure but he may get jail time. Even if he doesn't and is mentally capable of playing hockey again, it will be hard pressed for a junior team to take a chance on him.

Once he gets everything in his life sorted out and shows that he still has NHL potential, he might get drafted next year or the year after.

I love how the Sharks, Senators and Thrashers all forgave Dany Heatley for basically the same thing, but everyone is hating on this Myles Bell kid for his stupid mistake.

Both were tragic, I wouldn't forgive either but why is one forgivable in some peoples eyes and the other, not?

OnlyTheBrave*

[Conz]
He looked kind of fat to me, like he didn't take conditioning seriously and for a smallish goaltender, he'll likely be a guy that spends a few more years in Europe and then when teams finally see him in the Olympics or something for the Swiss and he shines, they'll offer him a contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiluj

May 20, 2010
Samara, Russia
I have seen Yarullin at several tournament and he is awful D.
Pedan is my favorite Russian in 2011.

Well, from the last U-18:
Yarullin stats: 7 GP, 11 Pts (2nd of all D-men), +12 (best of tournament)
Nesterov stats: 7 GP, 4 Pts, +11
Pedan stats: 6 GP, 2 Pts, +4

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hey RS, I'm a blades follower (also avs fan too, pumped about the Siemens pick) but I know you see them play a whole lot more. Why do you think Benson's stock fell so much? He was a high bantam pick, I know his couple seasons with the blades haven't gone quite as well as was expected but I thought he would for sure still go in round 5 or 6. Think he'll pick up his game more when a few of the older guys are gone next season?

Truly shocked. I thought he'd be the 2nd Blade drafted behind Siemens...instead he watches 4 teammates get called and he doesn't go at all.

It's hard to say why his stock fell. The biggest concern for me are his size and skating. He's only around 5'11 and has a very awkward stride that isn't overly powerful.

He's a helluva gritty and smart player though and he has very good offensive skills...skills that weren't showcased as much this year because of the depth of the club. He spent the last 1/3 of the season as a third liner, when really he was good enough to be in the top 6.

If Benny can focus and work hard leading up to camp, I have no doubts he starts the year as the first line center for Saskatoon. A 70+ point season later, and he'll likely be drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad