Post-Game Talk: Big Z’s Revenge | Canucks def. Flames | 4-3 | Hughes, Lafferty, Mikheyev, Pettersson

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tocchet was making a statement, having Juulsen and Karlsson out there in the final minute and a half, protecting a one goal lead.....while guys like Garland and some of his other veterans were stapled to the pine.

I don't think the coach was happy with Garland botching a two-on-one and then turning the puck over. I thought the Canucks locked it down pretty well in the third period, but when that second Flames goal bulged the twine, it was game on....and the Canucks were under siege.

Still, any divisional win on the road ..you take it and sprint to the plane, no matter how ugly it was.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some of our better players looking tired and really it was some of the lower line guys carrying the load. Funny game. We carried some parts throughly but then near collasped in other parts. Lots of loose play around our net that needs to be cleaned up. Good that we can play kinda of lousy and still win.

Good

Lafferty - getting into the unsung hero category. Brings the same game every night and plays the checking role as good as anyone. Chipping in some goals here and there, blocking shots, forechecking, cutting off lanes.... Very consistent and understated player. Won't but should get a star in this game

Joshua - didn't think he started the season well but he is now starting to skate better and be consistently in the play. Very good on the forecheck in this game and helped on the PKs. Starts scoring and he'll be a mainstay on this team

Pettersson - seemed to be skating better. Lots of little plays that both created goals and stopped goals against. Step in the right direction.

Not so Good

Juulsen - got by most of the night but inability to skate (especially his inability to keep any fluidity in his skating - like when he stops he is pretty much planted to the spot) showed up in the late going. Don't think he should have been out late.

Others

Hronek - him and Hughes have come off the boil. Nice goal by Hughes but the pairing had some real trouble deep in their end. Maybe other teams are playing better against but more likely both are just worn down. Good that they could get reduced minutes in this one.

Myers - think there is a knee jerk reaction to blame Myers for anything that goes wrong in our end. He was at least decent in this game and, at some points good. Some people have determined he is terrible and spend a ton of time trying to justify this opinion even when he playing well. (which he has for major parts of this season - something like justifing a bais). Myers salary is an issue but the team is far better off with him than the alternatives and he is bona NHL d-man. Is he worth his salary - NO. But his salary doesn't mean he is necesarily bad.

Miller - took a bad undisciplined penalty in the third which shows his head wasn't clearly in the game. Another who has done so much to carry the team and he needs others to step up.

Karlsson - had a couple of ok shifts but still doubt he should be up from Abby. Others are playing better and Karlsson doesn't have the speed or strenght to compete at this level. Got shoved to the ice a lot in this game. Di Guiseppe, even though he has not played well lately is the better player by a fair bit.

Aman - good on the face off dot and a little more apparent in the run of the game

Zadorov - Nice he got a goal - although might be changed to Pettersson and got around the ice well. Can see he is feeling his way along and played a subdued game. Don't think he always played with a lot of intensity and mostly just played with a smile on his face. Did show he moves well for a big man.

Cole - thought he was better than he was the last few games. Kept it simple and mopped up problems created by Juulsen and some of the forwards. Played like the vet he is.

Demko - thought he looked poor on the second goal against and was jittery at times. Appears to me to be over reacting at times and losing his positioning. However, did a good job of seeing through screens to pick off shots from the blue line and elsewhere. Victum somewhat of the loose play around the net - and that was especially so for the Hughes - Hronek duo.

Garland - 'sigh' does so much and than so little. Sometimes I think he will never score again no matter how chances he gets. Seems to shoot when he should pass when he should shoot and than shoot when he should pass. Frustrating player but committment is total.

Pk has to be better - game could have been well out of reach for Calgary if they had made better use of it - especially on the 5 on 3.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hoglander & Aman need a bruiser on the 4th line to play with, Karlsson is a tad small and wasn’t strong on the puck at all. Di Giuseppe & Lafferty are a bit bigger and are a better fit on the 4th line but an even stronger player would be a better fit for the two Nils to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
GUYS GUYS
I think I know why Juulsen played over Friedman tonight

Had we dressed Friedman over Juulsen, we would had zero, yes, ZERO Canadians in the line-up :eek3:;):laugh:

I actually just saw that. This is actually a shitty stat. Almost 42% of all NHL players are Canadian, and as a Canadian team, it is embarrassing that we don't have any. Actually makes me kind of somber. This is just weird.

We need to take back Conor Bedard, Matt Barzal, Shea Theadore, Morgan Reilly, Devon Toews, and add Macklin Celebrini just to get things started.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I actually just saw that. This is actually a shitty stat. Almost 42% of all NHL players are Canadian, and as a Canadian team, it is embarrassing that we don't have any. Actually makes me kind of somber. This is just weird.

We need to take back Conor Bedard, Matt Barzal, Shea Theadore, Morgan Reilly, Devon Toews, and add Macklin Celebrini just to get things started.
I think all BC players should come home

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Soucy, Cole, Zadorov, Hronek (Willander Bruz)

Allvin completely rebuilt the D in a single year, whereas Benning can’t put together a better list in his entire decade of error. Simply amazing how badly Benning stripped this franchise and fanbase
Tryamkin
Sbisa (part of Kesler trade)
Pedan
Clenndening (For Forsling)
Bartkowski
Brisebois (pick from Eddie Lack trade)
Juolevi
Stetcher
Philip Larsen
Gudbranson (for McCann + 1st)
Pouliot (for Pedan + 4th)
Sautner
Chatfield
Hughes
MDZ
Luke Schenn (traded for MDZ)
Myers
Jordie Benn
Fantenberg
Nate Schmidt
Hamonic
OEL
Burroughs
Hunt

Yep.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Garland is useful though. Barrie has no place on this team with Hughes and Hronek on PP1/2.

Garland is good, such a hard player for the opposing D-men to handle with his determination and skating agility, creates opportunities from nowhere, drew a penalty in 3 consecutive games.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
GUYS GUYS
I think I know why Juulsen played over Friedman tonight

Had we dressed Friedman over Juulsen, we would had zero, yes, ZERO Canadians in the line-up :eek3:;):laugh:

We definitely need to add a couple good ol’ Canadians to the roster.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He’s useful but also overpaid with terms

I also just don’t like watching him play, all buzz for nothing

He’s a bit like a Mason Raymond where he’s quite noticeable on the ice but so much of it doesn’t lead to anything useful. He also seems hard to play with because he holds on to the puck probably longer than he should. I think he needs to start having some puck luck at some point soon though

Reactions: B-rock and bh53

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

The rest of Canada hates us anyways. I don't mind.

Reactions: B-rock and Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
90% of what happened in that game was really good. The other 10% was Myers, Juulsen, and the PP.

Juulsen could have cost the team 2 or 3 goals tonight. Just awful. And there is zero excuse, ever, for Myers getting more minutes than Hronek.

PP was absolutely kicking ass and then they decided to put Hronek on PP1 and it’s gone to shit. And Hronek had been carrying PP2 and now that’s gone to shit too and Myers is there for some unknown f***ing reason.

But other than what’s happening at RD, that was a structured, solid game. Really should have iced the game 4-1 on the pile of chances in the 3rd and then they score late on the 5th shot of the period and we had to gut out a game where we should have been home and cooled.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Tryamkin
Pedan
Bartkowski
Juolevi
Stetcher
Philip Larsen
Sautner
Chatfield
Hughes
MDZ
Myers
Jordie Benn
Fantenberg
Nate Schmidt
Hamonic
OEL
Burroughs
Hunt

Yep.

Holy f***ing shit........... just...... wow. Seeing it laid out like that is..... no words.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I think someone here speculated this before, but it does feel like they’re showcasing Karlsson a bit. What if Calgary is sorta interested in Karlsson and we dressed him to showcase?

Tanev for Myers, Karlsson, 2nd (higher pick because cap)

(i wish)

Why would someone be interested in Karlsson?

Hes literally a dime a dozen AHL player

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Really liked Zadorov tonight. It's only his first game & a quick turnaround but you see what he can bring. There was multiple plays defending the rush where he completely ended a Flames scoring opportunity with his size & mobility. He's capable of squashing plays, which is what we need.

Juulsen/Myers are still a massive issue, and we lost the special team battle again (surprised our PP is 4th).

Agree with others that our top pair is fatigued, there going to have to remedy that cause there's lots of games left. Zadorov is a nice start & hopefully Bear/Soucy coming back can balance things out & ease the load.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Tryamkin
Pedan
Bartkowski
Juolevi
Stetcher
Philip Larsen
Sautner
Chatfield
Hughes
MDZ
Myers
Jordie Benn
Fantenberg
Nate Schmidt
Hamonic
OEL
Burroughs
Hunt

Yep.
94fb1dc9-2c95-45b8-b287-de673bed3c8c_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Flik and Indiana
Feb 19, 2018
Are we able to waive Myers and save $1.2 million on the Cap? And if we send down Juulsen do we save another $800k? Myers would be the obvious one to bring in Bear and if you get those savings on both you might be able to upgrade on Bear even.

We should totally be exploring addition by subtraction at this point, you can even see Tocchet pumping these guys tires like he’s going to fool another team into thinking they belong even in the KHL.

Reactions: mossey3535

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think someone here speculated this before, but it does feel like they’re showcasing Karlsson a bit. What if Calgary is sorta interested in Karlsson and we dressed him to showcase?

Tanev for Myers, Karlsson, 2nd (higher pick because cap)

(i wish)
There’s no world where they trade for another defenseman when they’re trying to get Bear to sign. Unless it’s at very favorable terms.

See how everything is piecing together with Bear involved and then revisit closer to the TDL.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Canucks defeat Flames and Noah Juulsen

How the hell is this guy playing over Friedman? I can't think of a single thing he does better, it's not like Friedman is soft, the dude mixes it up every other shift.

Loved seeing Big Z getting in on the GWG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad