Post-Game Talk: Big Z’s Revenge | Canucks def. Flames | 4-3 | Hughes, Lafferty, Mikheyev, Pettersson

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Tryamkin
Sbisa (part of Kesler trade)
Pedan
Clenndening (For Forsling)
Bartkowski
Brisebois (pick from Eddie Lack trade)
Juolevi
Stetcher
Philip Larsen
Gudbranson (for McCann + 1st)
Pouliot (for Pedan + 4th)
Sautner
Chatfield
Hughes
MDZ
Luke Schenn (traded for MDZ)
Myers
Jordie Benn
Fantenberg
Nate Schmidt
Hamonic
OEL
Burroughs
Hunt

Yep.
solid work. quite a murderer's row there.

what is really interesting is if you sort through the guys who were mishandled here. that's more subjective.

and let me add a different list

hometown guys who wanted to re-sign but were instead allowed to walk with years of solid play left in them and were not replaced by better players

hamhuis
tanev
stecher

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

what is really interesting is if you sort through the guys who were mishandled here. that's more subjective.

hometown guys who wanted to re-sign but were instead allowed to walk with years of solid play left in them and were not replaced by better players

hamhuis
tanev
stecher

i think the proof is, by the time benning was let go you could make a better blueline of hughes + guys he let leave for nothing (or clendenning) than the actual blueline

hughes schenn
OEL myers
burroughs poolman

vs

hughes tanev
forsling stecher
edler hutton

i mean that’s still a pretty thin blueline by december 2021, but so much better than what was there when benning was fired.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

hamhuis
tanev
stecher
Hometown?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Yeah I still think there's to much over reaction to a couple of negative splash plays from Juulsen.

Took the delay of game penalty, but there was some bad luck involved. He was off balance and trying to clear the puck from a dangerous part of the ice. Sure maybe a better player has more composure and a defter touch. But it wasn't sloppy or lazy play, just bad luck really.

Other play was when he got caught flat footed at the offensive blueline. Bad read on his part, no question.

But he's a 7th/8th dman. Thing people tend to ignore when talking about 7/8 guys is they are going to play games. And of course they have some flaws. If they didn't, they would be 7/8 dman, they'd be top 6.

Would I like to upgrade Juulsen? Of course. Is Bear an upgrade? Bear is a better all around player, but offers zero physicality and not as good on the PK. If Bear signs, I see these two rotating depending on match up.

Friedman does nothing better than Juulsen. When Freidman was acquired, he was a shot in the arm and helped stabilize the back end. But he's not better than Juulsen. Likely doesn't play in front of a healthy Brisbois or Wolanin either. Gives some organizational depth and I like his feisty nature, but he's not a better option than Juulsen.

Don't want to come across as a Juulsen fan Boi. Definitely has flaws in his game upgrading his roster spot should be a goal of Alvin's. But the easy to notice plays overshadow the blocked shots, holits, and generally solid (safe) plays he makes with the puck.

As for the game, solid road win against a division rival. The wins against Seattle and Calgary have me feeling comfortable about our playoff chances. Keep winning those 4 pointers vs teams behind us, and we are in comfortably.

Reactions: Nomobo and Indiana

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've been saying that much of Kuzmenko's struggles are tied to how bad EP/Mikheyev have been and Kuzmenko contributing to an early goal on his new line reinforced that for me as I mentioned in the GDT.

But that was completely wrong the rest of the game. EP played very well and seemed to dictate the play at times which we haven't seen in weeks. Mikheyev had the goal but also finally showed off that burst to get the breakaway even though he didn't score. Meanwhile, Kuzmenko wasn't impressive at all the rest of the way.

The line wasn't working and needed to be broken up. Very interested how to all three guys look in the next few games if they stay apart. I'm a bit concerned about where Kuzmenko fits if not with EP.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd like Tocchet to swap Kuze and Mikh and see how it looks. 65-40 just don't quite fit to my eye.

If JTM is the match up line, Mikheyev is a better fit than Kuzmenko. Adds more North South speed, which the line could use. His shoot first play style better fits 9-6 as well, imo.

Then just rotate guys beside 96-40. If someone sticks long term, great. Shotgun beside EP and Kuze when both are playing well (not yet) should be relatively easy to fill, even if it's a rotation of players doing it.

• Love
Reactions: mossey3535

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm a bit concerned about where Kuzmenko fits if not with EP.

if we get to the point where we want to move off kuz because there’s not a place for him in the top six, that’s a very good position for the team to be in.

and given his cap hit, i think we could probably swap him for a pretty decent piece on d.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think the proof is, by the time benning was let go you could make a better blueline of hughes + guys he let leave for nothing (or clendenning) than the actual blueline

hughes schenn
OEL myers
burroughs poolman

vs

hughes tanev
forsling stecher
edler hutton

i mean that’s still a pretty thin blueline by december 2021, but so much better than what was there when benning was fired.

i dunno about the forsling thing. given his rocky ride to established dman i don't see it happening with us if we keep him. the trade was bad because clendenning was one of the worst pro-scouting misses ever. it's like they had never even seen him play and then the moment they did realized they did not want anything to do with him.

also you reminded me about edlerandt he's a guy who i believe would have finished his career here if he could have, but was i think driven away in part by the way they had treated tanev and marky. call him hometownish also.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
if we get to the point where we want to move off kuz because there’s not a place for him in the top six, that’s a very good position for the team to be in.

and given his cap hit, i think we could probably swap him for a pretty decent piece on d.

I am less sold on his potential value, especially in a scenario like this where he can't play in the top six

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Good energy level from the Canucks last night,unlike their last game there at the end of a B2B,following an eastern road swing…Team was absolutely gassed.

Team was rested and came out with some pop..Also,it was a good response to the dreary Vegas performance.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Surely Sam Lafferty has to be Allvin's most impressive 'under the radar acquisition'....I mean the guy is big, skates like the wind, and can play up and down your roster.

Last night they elevated him to the top line with Pettersson and Mikheyev. But he can also play on your fourth line. He kills penalites and is a reliable face-off guy. And with a respectable six goals and six assists in 25 games. And the best part--he only earns $1.15 million a season.

And all for the price of a fifth round draft pick--ridiculous.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Good energy level from the Canucks last night,unlike their last game there at the end of a B2B,following an eastern road swing…Team was absolutely gassed.

Team was rested and came out with some pop..Also,it was a good response to the dreary Vegas performance.
Vegas is that much better of a hockey team. It wasn't up to Vancouver.

Feb 19, 2018
I'd like Tocchet to swap Kuze and Mikh and see how it looks. 65-40 just don't quite fit to my eye.

If JTM is the match up line, Mikheyev is a better fit than Kuzmenko. Adds more North South speed, which the line could use. His shoot first play style better fits 9-6 as well, imo.

Then just rotate guys beside 96-40. If someone sticks long term, great. Shotgun beside EP and Kuze when both are playing well (not yet) should be relatively easy to fill, even if it's a rotation of players doing it.
Send down Karlsson and call up Podkolzin. He’s exactly the type of player that will get his nose dirty.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
This game would have been 4-1 on bubble Demko but for the second game in a row, Demmer is found scrambling and panicking.

When he dropped his stick for the third game in a row I thought Calgary would tie it up for sure. He didn't bother to pick it up when the Canucks got it up the ice. The Flames managed to get a weak shot on him with 3 seconds left and he had to stop it with his pad.

Flames did crash the net like Vegas did. We need to stop letting teams do that. But it's lucky the Flames are a bad team because they had several good chances they totally screwed up on.

Our first few power plays were good minute on the 5/3 they should be able to bury it. They stank after that. Let's quit trying to get to get the perfect pass boys. But it was good to see Markstrom be Markstrom, even if it's the other team. He deserves to be on a contender.

I have not liked Mikhayev at all lately, but he's kind of the Brendan Morrison on that line. His breakaway was so, so close. Marky.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

hughes schenn
OEL myers
burroughs poolman

vs

hughes tanev
forsling stecher
edler hutton

jfc this is one of the best indictments of benning i've ever seen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad