Proposal: Big trade between Calgary-St. Louis

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Calgary simply can't go three straight years without a first round pick in the cap era. That's how you completely minimize your window to compete. For that reason alone, I pass.
I'm not sure how we can keep bleeding first round picks???

I am however very interested in shooting Neal to the moon. so...yeah

Concerns about bleeding 1sts are warranted, but I think we have to look at it this way:

- we have johnny and mony at reasonable cap rates for 4-5 more seasons.
- we have gio at peak performance for probably 4 more seasons (feel like it's a reasonable guess)
- we have lindy and hanifin for 6 more, backlund for 4 more, and some young up coming d men in ras, kylington, and vali that will be cheaper for 3-4 seasons.

it seems like our window is about 4 years. I personally think we should do everything possible to maximize our potential in these 4 years, regardless of the theoretical impact on the seasons beyond those 4, as I also do not believe we will have a player of johnny's caliber locked up on such a good contract in the foreseeable future (potentially ever tbh.)
My thought is that the next 2 1sts we have, 2019 + 2020, are likely to be 20-30 range picks. Historically those have very little probability of effecting team success during the 4 year window mentioned. I would not trade picks in 2021 or 2022 as those will have impacts post window.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Concerns about bleeding 1sts are warranted, but I think we have to look at it this way:

- we have gio at peak performance for probably 4 more seasons (feel like it's a reasonable guess)
- we have lindy and hanifin for 6 more, backlund for 4 more, and some young up coming d men in ras, kylington, and vali that will be cheaper for 3-4 seasons.

it seems like our window is about 4 years. I personally think we should do everything possible to maximize our potential in these 4 years, regardless of the theoretical impact on the seasons beyond those 4, as I also do not believe we will have a player of johnny's caliber locked up on such a good contract in the foreseeable future (potentially ever tbh.)
My thought is that the next 2 1sts we have, 2019 + 2020, are likely to be 20-30 range picks. Historically those have very little probability of effecting team success during the 4 year window mentioned. I would not trade picks in 2021 or 2022 as those will have impacts post window.
Kudos to someone who understands the timeframe on most late 1st round picks!

Reactions: Flameshomer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

This is it in a nutshell and this draft doesn’t really stand out for any reason. That being said, we really can’t afford to take on additional salary beyond this season.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm honestly not sure that Calgary can even bring in another forward without upsetting their chemistry.

They have a situation where the top line is definitely set. The second line is Tkachuk, Backlund, and Frolik/Bennett. The current situation allows Peters to shuffle the lines and respond to other teams. Tkachuk can be shuffled up when the Flames really need a goal. Bennett can be shuffled up when he's playing well or the Flames need more grit.

And Frolik really isn't playing that badly. He's been playing better lately and should finish close to his standard .5ish ppg pace. Schenn in Calgary is definitely not getting 20+ minutes a night.

The Flames should focus on getting a goalie and a player to solidify their bottom 6. Trading a 1st for top 6 player, seems like bad asset management.

Reactions: viper0220

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Schenn
Steen
Allen

Bennett
Neal
Smith
2019 1st
2020 conditional 2nd

Blues can rekindle the Perron and Neal chemistry, move Thomas into the 2C role, with Bennett being moved to the 3rd line.

Perron-O’Reilly-Neal
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Bennett-Bozak
Maroon-Barbashev-Sundqvist

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Schenn
Steen
Allen

Bennett
Neal
Smith
2019 1st
2020 conditional 2nd

Blues can rekindle the Perron and Neal chemistry, move Thomas into the 2C role, with Bennett being moved to the 3rd line.

Perron-O’Reilly-Neal
Fabbri-Bennett-Bozak

It's actually not the worst value-wise. The Flames taking on Allen and Steen's cap is a no go. I'd rather have Neal than Steen. Neal is a great character guy and brings a lot of energy, even when not scoring. Steen would likely do even worse in Calgary. I don't see him cracking our top 6. His ice time and linemates would be limited to bottom 6.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Schenn
Steen
Allen

Bennett
Neal
Smith
2019 1st
2020 conditional 2nd

Perron-O’Reilly-Neal
Fabbri-Bennett-Bozak
This is not a good return for Schenn. The rest is just extras filler to what is simple as Schenn for 1st + A level prospect given he has an additional year on his contract. (Referring to typical top 6 rental return being late 1st + prospect.)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Seems like a lot by the Flames and they have to accept Cap Dumps? :huh:

Change from Schenn to Tarasenko.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
No reason for St. Louis to pick up all of calgarys garbage while giving away impact assets. Adding a couple of 1st's still doesn't change that.

A couple of tweeks in the off season as well as a healthy roster to start next year and St. Louis will bounce back.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Exactly, the Flames drafted Bennett to be a top line centre or at the very least a formidable 2nd line centre...he’s neither.
That's a not a bust. A bust is a player that has no NHL value after a short while. Players like bennett are important for winning teams. If you want a team full of soft creampuffs...youd be the blues.

Bennett has only played like dozen playoff games but he has more career playoff goals than all blues forwards except tarasenko, Schwartz, maroon and Steen. Lol

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
That's a not a bust. A bust is a player that has no NHL value after a short while. Players like bennett are important for winning teams. If you want a team full of soft creampuffs...youd be the blues.

Bennett has only played like dozen playoff games but he has more career playoff goals than all blues forwards except tarasenko, Schwartz, maroon and Steen. Lol
Ouch!!

Reactions: 67Blues

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If the flames got schenn, theyd have my 2 favorite players.

Schenn + tkachuk would be a blast... but idk that flames will spend that much. I still see them going hard on silfverberg

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If the flames got schenn, theyd have my 2 favorite players.

Schenn + tkachuk would be a blast... but idk that flames will spend that much. I still see them going hard on silfverberg

For some reason I see Edmonton signing Silf this off season, but yeah I'd love Silf. This sounds like a crazy idea, but if the Ducks really are trying to sell, would you give us Silf and Aberg with no conditions for the 2019 1st straight up no condition? I'm still high on Aberg even with his inconsistency and requirements of good players to play with.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For some reason I see Edmonton signing Silf this off season, but yeah I'd love Silf. This sounds like a crazy idea, but if the Ducks really are trying to sell, would you give us Silf and Aberg with no conditions for the 2019 1st straight up no condition? I'm still high on Aberg even with his inconsistency and requirements of good players to play with.

Flames 1st will be late... i assume silf can fetch that alone, when teams start bidding... and because division rival i assume condition on resigning would be a must.

I think silf is a late 1st, or a 2nd + 3rd value, aberg hard to gauge but if we cant get a 3rd with resign condition being a 2nd id just keep him

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Flames 1st will be late... i assume silf can fetch that alone, when teams start bidding... and because division rival i assume condition on resigning would be a must.

I think silf is a late 1st, or a 2nd + 3rd value, aberg hard to gauge but if we cant get a 3rd with resign condition being a 2nd id just keep him

I get ya, you guys can have a prospect if you want.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I get ya, you guys can have a prospect if you want.
1st + mangiapane

For
Silf + aberg no conditions

Granted idk how high flames are on mani, i know most duck fans dont care for mani but i like him

Pretty sure you and i talked silf for mani and 3rd(conditional 2nd).

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
1st + mangiapane

For
Silf + aberg no conditions

Granted idk how high flames are on mani, i know most duck fans dont care for mani but i like him

Pretty sure you and i talked silf for mani and 3rd(conditional 2nd).

I'd gladly do it, I don't see Mangiapane having a future with us. He hasn't done much here and there's no way he takes over Bennett, Tkachuk, or Gaudreau for that LW spot.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd gladly do it, I don't see Mangiapane having a future with us. He hasn't done much here and there's no way he takes over Bennett, Tkachuk, or Gaudreau for that LW spot.
Ya i feel like at lw we lack skill outside of rakell.... ritchie comtois and jones are good but more power forward type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad