Proposal: Big trade between Calgary-St. Louis

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would be very interested in the alternate proposal of 2 1sts (2020 conditional), frolik and smith for schenn and Allen. If there was any way to work in edmundson I think the flames would come out cup competitors.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I would be very interested in the alternate proposal of 2 1sts (2020 conditional), frolik and smith for schenn and Allen. If there was any way to work in edmundson I think the flames would come out cup competitors.
That decimates our left side. Have to overpay for that piece of our future. Valimaki would have to be part of the deal.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
That decimates our left side. Have to overpay for that piece of our future. Valimaki would have to be part of the deal.
Fair comment, but valimakis injury is the only reason we're looking for LD at all... if hes back it no longer makes sense. Anyways I would happily give up the proposed package for schenn and Allen.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Kylington and Adam Fox
As mentioned, Adam Fox is no longer with us (looking more and more like he will take the college UFA route to the show...) but Kylington has been playing great! Our need/ desire for another bottom 4 LD is more in case of injuries. It's uncertain that Valimaki will be back this season as he had a severe high ankle sprain. That leaves only Prout then a host of barely AHL level players beyond kylington in case one of our LD get injured... Hardly desirable for the playoffs!

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Schenn, Schmaltz and Jake Allen for 2019 1st, Conditional 2020 1st (condition on Schenn resigning or flames making conference finals in 2020, otherwise it is a 2nd), Mike Smith, and Michael Frolik.

I would remove the conditions from the second 1st rounder if you take Neal instead of Frolik.

This sound like a decent base for a trade?

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
Schenn, Schmaltz and Jake Allen for 2019 1st, Conditional 2020 1st (condition on Schenn resigning or flames making conference finals in 2020, otherwise it is a 2nd), Mike Smith, and Michael Frolik.

I would remove the conditions from the second 1st rounder if you take Neal instead of Frolik.

I'd do that just to see if, Neal & Peron could rekindle their connection from, Vegas last year with, having O'Reilly as their center .

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
As mentioned, Adam Fox is no longer with us (looking more and more like he will take the college UFA route to the show...) but Kylington has been playing great! Our need/ desire for another bottom 4 LD is more in case of injuries. It's uncertain that Valimaki will be back this season as he had a severe high ankle sprain. That leaves only Prout then a host of barely AHL level players beyond kylington in case one of our LD get injured... Hardly desirable for the playoffs!
Maybe future considerations being Kylington when Valimaki returns. We can bring up Butler while we are tanking...haha. Figure out another piece.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Two firsts and Flames take Allen? I would do that in a heartbeat. Rather have Neal than Frolik myself contracts aside. At least Neal would help our PP which is in desperate need of someone that can hit the net. Frolik is just a grinder and those are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Two firsts and Flames take Allen? I would do that in a heartbeat. Rather have Neal than Frolik myself contracts aside. At least Neal would help our PP which is in desperate need of someone that can hit the net. Frolik is just a grinder and those are a dime a dozen.

I know James Neal has been a phenomenal player in the past and would probably fit well with those two. But look at the stats/contract length for Neal. If Neal only had two more years like Frolik I would hands down rather have Neal due to the player he was and may still be in a different situation.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Yeah that's why I said contracts aside. I knew he got paid. In fact I thought for several years now Neal is the type if pure scorer the Blues needed. I think he is very underrated in the offensive zone. It is the other two zones that are the problem and I don't believe Army wanted to pay premium money for that or this guy would already be a Blue.

Another thing about Neal, don't sleep on his toughness either. Guy has more grit than anyone gives him credit for. Caveat there is he got paid and might not mix it up like he used to. He doesn't have to anymore and that is a worry for me. James Neal will score a Big goal or two in the playoffs this year. You can mark it down. It won't be for Calgary though or the Blues.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Great discussion and I think it’s cute that some fans think Schenn is even remotely close to being worth 2 young, promising roster players, as well as 2 1st rounders but none of it matters because the Flames can’t afford to take on $5 million, let alone $9 million in salary next year.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

Very tempting to do Schenn, Schmaltz and Allen for 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Neal and Smith

What is up with James Neal? 8 points in 42 games? A change of scenery for both Allen and Neal could be good for both. Neal is signed for a year or two longer than ideal but I think his numbers can and will rebound closer to career norms and 5.75M for a player of his caliber is not a massive overpay.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bennett is exactly the kind of gritty depth player most teams clamor for prior to a playoff run. Trading Bennett opens a significant hole in the lineup.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Great discussion and I think it’s cute that some fans think Schenn is even remotely close to being worth 2 young, promising roster players, as well as 2 1st rounders but none of it matters because the Flames can’t afford to take on $5 million, let alone $9 million in salary next year.
We absolutely can do so if Neal is part of the trade.

The current evolution of this thread led to:

1st 2019, 1st 2020, James Neal and Mike Smith for Schenn, Schmaltz (or perhaps Edmundson), and Jake Allen.

Blues take on Neal's contract and hope he can turn it around, while riding out smith for the remainder of the year. They get 2 1sts for value on Schenn+ the depth d included. The flames take on Allen's contract and hope he can return to better numbers as a backup to Rittich. They get out of Neal's contract while adding Schenn to really bolster their top 6 (schenn is signed for another year too, about the same salary as James Neal).

It's a steep price for the flames, but if you believe as I do that the picks will be in the 25 range it's really not that bad.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Very tempting to do Schenn, Schmaltz and Allen for 2019 1st, 2020 1st, Neal and Smith

What is up with James Neal? 8 points in 42 games? A change of scenery for both Allen and Neal could be good for both. Neal is signed for a year or two longer than ideal but I think his numbers can and will rebound closer to career norms and 5.75M for a player of his caliber is not a massive overpay.
Don't want to touch Neal.

Reactions: 67Blues

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
We absolutely can do so if Neal is part of the trade.

The current evolution of this thread led to:

1st 2019, 1st 2020, James Neal and Mike Smith for Schenn, Schmaltz (or perhaps Edmundson), and Jake Allen.

Blues take on Neal's contract and hope he can turn it around, while riding out smith for the remainder of the year. They get 2 1sts for value on Schenn+ the depth d included. The flames take on Allen's contract and hope he can return to better numbers as a backup to Rittich. They get out of Neal's contract while adding Schenn to really bolster their top 6 (schenn is signed for another year too, about the same salary as James Neal).

It's a steep price for the flames, but if you believe as I do that the picks will be in the 25 range it's really not that bad.

I'm not sure how we can keep bleeding first round picks???

I am however very interested in shooting Neal to the moon. so...yeah

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Calgary simply can't go three straight years without a first round pick in the cap era. That's how you completely minimize your window to compete. For that reason alone, I pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad