Proposal: Big trade between Calgary-St. Louis

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I actually think this is reasonable for both teams. I am however not comfortable with trading the reincarnation of Lanny McDonald. Bennett is my current favourite by a mile. He's fearless, will fight anyone, and is one of the toughest SOBs in the league. If anything the flames could use another Sam Bennett. We are still a bit soft.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
One of you thinks he is a bust relative to expectations when drafted, and one of you thinks he isn't a bust based on the fact that he's actually made the league as an NHL player.

You're both right, so we can drop the semantics and call him exactly what is...a high draft pick who has carved out a solid niche for himself in the league, but who has (so far) fallen well short of the expectations that went with his draft position.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
One of you thinks he is a bust relative to expectations when drafted, and one of you thinks he isn't a bust based on the fact that he's actually made the league as an NHL player.

You're both right, so we can drop the semantics and call him exactly what is...a high draft pick who has carved out a solid niche for himself in the league, but who has (so far) fallen well short of the expectations that went with his draft position.

This. He's reinvented himself as a modern day tough guy (if that is even a thing). Love the edge he brings and the compete. Doubt he'll ever live up to the highest draft pick in franchise history expectations. At this point, I don't really care. He's a valuable piece on this team and I'm betting he will be huge for us in the playoffs. He seems to have that IT factor in big games that are tight on the scoreboard.

Reactions: Kahvi

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
2019 1st, conditional 2020 1st (If Schenn re-signs and we make the playoffs in next season, otherwise becomes 2020 2nd), Oliver Kylington, Sam Bennett, Mike Smith, and Michael Frolik for Brayden Schenn, Jake Allen, and Dominik Bokk.

Calgary reasoning:
We could really use another dynamic 2C, which gives us excellent center depth. Jake Allen as much as he's struggled, I believe he'd do better in a more high paced system like Peters, and he's a better option than Smith currently and going forward. He and Rittich gives the Flames a 1A/1B situation. Dominik Bokk I'm still high on and I think he has the potential to be our 2nd line RWer in the future very soon.

St. Louis reasoning:
I think St. Louis just needs a solid retool. Well Bokk is a great prospect, they have Thomas and Kyrou in their system, Bennett plays a fast and gritty game for them. Kylington gives them more depth for their LHD. Smith is just a backup for this season. Michael Frolik's contract ends next season and he's still an excellent defensive winger.

Don't think Calgary should be trading 1st round picks, the Calgary Flames not need to make any big trades right now.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He's most definitely a bust.
No he is not

A disappointment but not a bust.

No to the original proposal. The flames do not need to trade their future. They are doing fine.

Also Allen is garbage. I don't want that headache

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not sensitive. You just have no idea what you’re talking about. Ask most Flames fans that actually watch the games unlike you.

Anyways, enjoy your bust of a team and the rebuild.
Yeah no worry
At Bennett age, schenn was a bust also

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
At this point, I'm not a fan of a massive trade for the Flames, especially in terms of giving up a bunch of futures, because of all the graduations Calgary really needs to restock their prospect base. I'd also be worried about disrupting chemistry.

I'd be all for some minor deals, look at a backup that can play 10 to 15 games over the next half of the season, and maybe a winger with some scoring skills.

Other then that, I'd just really let it roll.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
While Schenn is interesting guy Flames simply can't trade any of their 1st round pick given they have ZERO forward prospects in the pipeline after those stupid trades for hamilton and hamonic and shity drafting in later rounds. So this is a big no.

Bennet is a bust given he was highest drafted payer in flames history. He tries hard but top-end skills are not there and he has very low hockey iq. am ok with him playing bottom lines given he can fight. its 3rd season in a row he wont achieve 30 points and he plays 2nd PP unit and occasionally plays 2nd line with Tkachuk.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
While Schenn is interesting guy Flames simply can't trade any of their 1st round pick given they have ZERO forward prospects in the pipeline after those stupid trades for hamilton and hamonic and ****y drafting in later rounds. So this is a big no.

Bennet is a bust given he was highest drafted payer in flames history. He tries hard but top-end skills are not there and he has very low hockey iq. am ok with him playing bottom lines given he can fight. its 3rd season in a row he wont achieve 30 points and he plays 2nd PP unit and occasionally plays 2nd line with Tkachuk.
Stupid Hamilton trade? Ok
Brad turned the picks to Hamilton to hanifin and Lindholm...

It's obvious you have no clue

And yes your hate for Bennett make whatever you say about him useless. He sure is a disappointment but still a very valuable member of the team

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
While Schenn is interesting guy Flames simply can't trade any of their 1st round pick given they have ZERO forward prospects in the pipeline after those stupid trades for hamilton and hamonic and ****y drafting in later rounds. So this is a big no.

I would absolutely do that Hamonic trade every day and twice on Sunday, he's pretty much the glue beast on the blueline. And the Hamilton trade turned out awesome thanks.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I would absolutely do that Hamonic trade every day and twice on Sunday, he's pretty much the glue beast on the blueline. And the Hamilton trade turned out awesome thanks.

I second this, Hamonic has been an absolute stud. Would 10/10 times do that again. Same for Dougie as it got us Lindholm and Hanifin, lol. Not sure what the other guy is talking about other than we moved draft picks for super valuable pieces :laugh:

Reactions: CF84

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Rather hold on to Bennett, impacts the game far more than his points show. We need to add not subtract from the roster. I would give you guys:
1st + Mangiapane(top forward prospect) plus a small add.

Schenn would be amazing on this team though

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Do not want Jake Allen or his $4.3 million contract. He plays like an all star one game and then ****’s the bed for the next 2 or 3, crushing the moral of the team.

Schenn is a perfect example why kids like Bennett don’t get traded. When he was Bennett’s age he had 43 points in 110 games, despite being selected 5th overall. He was producing at a .43 PPG, compared to Bennett’s .37 PPG. Not much difference, considering Bennett came into the league far too early.

I always liked Schenn, but he is what he is, a 55 point centre, that needs better wingers to be successful. Bokk is a good prospect but at least a couple seasons away and Allen just sucks. The Flames want to win now. All things considered, I think a package of Bennett, Kylington, Frolik + 2 1st rounders would return a player much, much better than Schenn.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Even though the value seems fine, I think the Blues should pass. Dealing Bokk makes no sense in a re-tool, and Frolik/Bennett seem redundant for them.

If you look at our forward prospects, losing Bokk isn't exactly a deal breaker. I will say that Bill Armstrong and the scouting department was pretty keen on making sure we got him by moving up for the pick which has me questioning their willingness to do this.

As for the trade I would heavily consider it. I would also be fine if Kylington, Bennett and Bokk were taken out. Bennett doesn't really do a whole lot for us unless we move a few other pieces (Maroon and or Steen) especially if Frolik is in the deal.

You are correct about Frolik and Bennett being essentially redundant and not really important pieces. The main value here is forcing Army to give another goalie a chance in net once in a while and also getting a return on Schenn who is a really good player and one of my favorite to watch on the team, but Thomas has been really good down the stretch and he seems to be getitng better and better each game. He's about ready to step into that role as he's already on the Schenn/Schwartz line and doesn't look out of place (although it's not like either of those two are having years comparable to last years at the moment like most of our top players which is a huge reason we are a terrible team right now).

Reactions: simon IC

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
I am not sure who Killington is and I would still do this trade. Two firsts (1conditional) and Bennett for Schenn and Allen? You can keep Frolik, we have enough 4th liners and we keep Book.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I can't see why the Flames do this. I think the point of adding a 2C would be to slide Backlund down to a shutdown third line, but now who are his wingers? I would assume Backlund and Frolik would be who you'd want, but you just traded them both away. And now who is our 3LHD with Kylington traded and Valimaki still out? And who steps in case of injury?

Valuewise, I don't know, but the Flames can't afford to plug a hole we don't have to fix by getting rid of three roster players AND two first rounders.

Reactions: No Draft

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
The Flames will get Bennett at a very good price and he is only getting better. Not trading him.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Do not want Jake Allen or his $4.3 million contract. He plays like an all star one game and then ****’s the bed for the next 2 or 3, crushing the moral of the team.

Schenn is a perfect example why kids like Bennett don’t get traded. When he was Bennett’s age he had 43 points in 110 games, despite being selected 5th overall. He was producing at a .43 PPG, compared to Bennett’s .37 PPG. Not much difference, considering Bennett came into the league far too early.

I always liked Schenn, but he is what he is, a 55 point centre, that needs better wingers to be successful. Bokk is a good prospect but at least a couple seasons away and Allen just sucks. The Flames want to win now. All things considered, I think a package of Bennett, Kylington, Frolik + 2 1st rounders would return a player much, much better than Schenn.

First off, when Schenn was Bennett's age (22), he had 67 points in his last 2 seasons with the short season. So 67 points in 129 games versus Bennett the last two seasons sitting at 40 points in his last 123 games, and Schenn was trending up. They aren't really comparable.

Secondly, Schenn isn't reliant on wingers to be successful. He was our leading scorer last year and drove offensive chances. This year, he's outpacing and outplaying Schwartz offensively who is his most frequent linemate I believe on a team whose wingers have mostly been terrible this year. I don't think many of our fans would agree that his success is dependent on wingers carrying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad