OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Went to Toronto and had some incredible eats.
- School (breakfast)
- Jacobs and Co (steak dinner)
- Museum Tavern (burger)

Any Toronto natives here?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Went to Toronto and had some incredible eats.
- School (breakfast)
- Jacobs and Co (steak dinner)
- Museum Tavern (burger)

Any Toronto natives here?
Toronto is definitely on my list of places to visit. If I may ask, around where did you stay/what was your transportation situation? I feel like it may be more cost effective to stay outside the city and use public transit to get in but that could get confusing.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My God, I post on a forum with a bunch of nerds.

Sometimes it becomes real life. Here is a photo of Nintendo’s first stage of building a real Rainbow Road track ;)

xa6awqjljty01.jpg

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They just seemed too similar for me to care to get any new ones.

I think I got old and judgmental about the new pokemon.

Toronto is definitely on my list of places to visit. If I may ask, around where did you stay/what was your transportation situation? I feel like it may be more cost effective to stay outside the city and use public transit to get in but that could get confusing.

Ahhh, public transit and Toronto/GTA... It really depends on what your situation is. If you can navigate it and are alright with some walking and waiting then you'll probably find it okay. If you just want to get into the city then it's fairly simple.

Part of the negative is possibly having to navigate multiple systems. GO (trains and buses), TTC (buses, streetcars, subway) and you might have to use another regional one. You'd also have to consider hours of operation and that things can be somewhat different on holidays or the weekend but those should be fine if you're not out into the early morning or wanting a super early start.

I'd recommend buying a Presto card if you're doing much of it. Even for a short stay it will make things smoother and easier if you're using public transit a lot.

Also, Union Station is forever under construction.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nope.

If/when i upgrade I'd be upgrading from a PS3

Ha, then one of the XBox One's best features means nothing to you.

I agree with whoever said it above. The thing that usually decides it for me is which system has the best exclusives, since both systems generally play 95% of the games available. So I always lean toward the system who has the better 5%. Right now, IMO, that's the PS4.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm considering getting HBO back for Barry and Westworld season 2.
I just started watching Westworld. I had no idea it had been on hiatus for so long, but I timed it just about right and finished up in time for last week's episode. I really like it, it's very twisty-turny. Some are obvious, others not so much. Hadn't heard about Barry until now, maybe I'll check it out.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Ahhh, public transit and Toronto/GTA... It really depends on what your situation is. If you can navigate it and are alright with some walking and waiting then you'll probably find it okay. If you just want to get into the city then it's fairly simple.

Part of the negative is possibly having to navigate multiple systems. GO (trains and buses), TTC (buses, streetcars, subway) and you might have to use another regional one. You'd also have to consider hours of operation and that things can be somewhat different on holidays or the weekend but those should be fine if you're not out into the early morning or wanting a super early start.

I'd recommend buying a Presto card if you're doing much of it. Even for a short stay it will make things smoother and easier if you're using public transit a lot.

Also, Union Station is forever under construction.
Interesting, thanks for the insight. I feel like many of the things do to/of interest would be around downtown, so I guess Uber is always a backup once you actually get into the city. My girlfriend and I navigated Niagara's GO busses alright (although that's obviously much, much, much smaller scale I'm sure), so I doubt we'd be completely hopless :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pogs were awesome. Especially if you had a metal slammer. ;)

My original slammer that let me dominate the blacktop in elementary school...
oj-simpson-slammer-pog_eck1hh.jpg

As for Pokemon...the originals were great games for what they were, but the games were flawed to a level that kids forgave. Since then the series has gotten legitimately great to the point that I feel like an idiot for ever being too 'cool' for it from about 2000-2007.

The rumors for the new one do worry me, though...while I'm not against a Gen 1 remake, that's a lame way to introduce the series proper to a more 'traditional' system (read: 20 year-old dream of playing a console Pokemon on my TV being realized)...but f*** Pokemon Go and that entire concept...woof. That wasn't a game, it was a chore. Loot grinds are the goddamned worst. If this game wants me to go outside to do something, well you're just as stupid as Boktai was.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I lived in Toronto for 8 months when I first arrived in Canada. Found it simple to use. Plan ahead for where to stay, find your subway station or bus route then plan your routes. Beware that GO trains are chocker full at commute times and some only run at these times.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

We stayed at the Chelsea. It was okay. Nothing fancy. Clean and simple, but personally i would have gone up a level, myself. But i'm also the HF Pens Diva. :laugh:

As for transportation - uber. Literally everywhere. Longest I had to wait was like 5 minutes. Worked like a charm and affordable.

Reactions: Beauner

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
When I am there in August we are staying at the Rex, it is also a Blues bar, great place on Queen in the centre of the action.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
That's funny I just booked an Airbnb in Toronto this morning for July. Not sure if the location is any good (Little Portugal?) but the price was unbeatable. Gonna see Arcade Fire and go to the Hall of Fame of course, not sure what else.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
People are real angry about this Thundercats reboot, eh? Whole lotta time and effort put into being irrationally angry and over-dramatic (death threats and stuff) about a cartoon that had half-cat people in over the top 80s aesthetic wearing bondage gear. The show was pretty shit, and I say that as someone who had many Thundercats action figures and a luncbox. :laugh:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I wasn't even aware there WAS a Thundercats reboot and my freakin' u/n is a blatant reference. The show was total cheese but I'll obviously cop to loving it. No thanks to a reboot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wasn't even aware there WAS a Thundercats reboot and my freakin' u/n is a blatant reference. The show was total cheese but I'll obviously cop to loving it. No thanks to a reboot.
To be fair, it looks nothing like the original. It's a blatant copy-paste from popular cartoons today like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls. But for some of these people to be so incensed is really pretty pathetic. :laugh:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Why would somone voluntarily go to Toronto?

Crap airport and boring city (everything is closed at 1AM). Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver and all their surroundings >>>>>>>>>>>> Toronto
All of those other places are too far away for my budget, and also I have no interest in being out at 1 AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad