OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And that's what I hated. I would get all these invites to crap I would never go to anyway and then when you declined, people would be like "oh look at Mr. too busy to show up to events and decline on facebook" and I was like what? First, **** you, I got **** to do, and Second...don't invite me then. Just had enough of it.
That seems more like a people problem than a Facebook problem though, right?

Obviously the worst part of any social media is that it's full of people, and there are a lot of people who suck :laugh:

Reactions: vabm8

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's a really convenient way to set up events though. That's the main reason I have Facebook at this point.

But I mean friends who literally PM me on Facebook instead of calling just to say "Wanna see a movie tomorrow night?", or relatives who can't be bothered to visit because they can just see what's new in my life (and me in theirs) by looking at the pictures on my page.

If I closed my Facebook, they'd literally be forced to actually contact me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But I mean friends who literally PM me on Facebook instead of calling just to say "Wanna see a movie tomorrow night?", or relatives who can't be bothered to visit because they can just see what's new in my life (and me in theirs) by looking at the pictures on my page.

If I closed my Facebook, they'd literally be forced to actually contact me.
Calling people is an absolute last resort. Texting is where it's at. I probably haven't actually called a friend to invite them to do something in at least 10 years. Maybe college.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah... Email me before calling me.
if I saw a friend calling me I would assume either they pocket dialed me, they are drunk, they have a legitimate emergency, or they have news that is near the magnitude of someone being dead.

Family is different. And I will occasionally talk to friends on the phone to solidify plans, but not until the first round of planning is done via text.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
if I saw a friend calling me I would assume either they pocket dialed me, they are drunk, they have a legitimate emergency, or they have news that is near the magnitude of someone being dead.

Yep. The last personal phone call I got from someone who wasn’t my grandmother was my sister in the hospital. Before that was probably a pocket dial that left a message because I missed the call.

Family is different. And I will occasionally talk to friends on the phone to solidify plans, but not until the first round of planning is done via text.

I talk to my grandmother on the phone and that’s the only person with regularity. I don’t really do it to plan anything at this point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yep. The last personal phone call I got from someone who wasn’t my grandmother was my sister in the hospital. Before that was probably a pocket dial that left a message because I missed the call.

I talk to my grandmother on the phone and that’s the only person with regularity. I don’t really do it to plan anything at this point.
I talk to my parents, but even that's being phased to texting with my mom. And my brother, but that's typically trying to coordinate plans that can just be a pain to do via text. And we both spend a lot of overlapping time in the car, so texting is a no-go for that.

If I saw a call coming from a friend though, my first instinct would be to be worried that something is seriously wrong. And god help you if you leave me a voice mail, because there's something seriously wrong with you.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I talk to my parents, but even that's being phased to texting with my mom. And my brother, but that's typically trying to coordinate plans that can just be a pain to do via text. And we both spend a lot of overlapping time in the car, so texting is a no-go for that.

If I saw a call coming from a friend though, my first instinct would be to be worried that something is seriously wrong. And god help you if you leave me a voice mail, because there's something seriously wrong with you.

I’m pretty sure the only nonserious thing I’ve done on the phone with my sister for years is complain about things and that’s transitioned to texts.

The problem with calling me is if my phone is on silent or vibrate and I’m not near it; I tend to keep it on vibrate. A text will be there when I check it but here’s a good chance I’ll just miss a phone call.

The voicemail gave me a second of hoping I wasn’t going to hear someone f***ing dying.

It's because I post here.

Totally.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also, I'm a wonderful human being for saving a chipmunk from drowning in my pool. The thing just ran straight at it and went over the edge as though he didn't realize there was water there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That seems more like a people problem than a Facebook problem though, right?

Obviously the worst part of any social media is that it's full of people, and there are a lot of people who suck :laugh:
Well of course it's a people problem.

The biggest problem these days is that everyone has a voice when not everyone should. Everyone wants anyone and everyone to know their thoughts on everything regardless of whether people need to hear it or not. It's ridiculous, the whole 10-15mins of fame crap that people think they can extent when they don't even deserve 1 nanosecond of it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well of course it's a people problem.

The biggest problem these days is that everyone has a voice when not everyone should. Everyone wants anyone and everyone to know their thoughts on everything regardless of whether people need to hear it or not. It's ridiculous, the whole 10-15mins of fame crap that people think they can extent when they don't even deserve 1 nanosecond of it.
eh, I think everyone should have a voice. But everyone should also have the option to ignore any other voice, which we do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
eh, I think everyone should have a voice. But everyone should also have the option to ignore any other voice, which we do.

I think on any platform, you should have a 5min window of "this will be posted in 5mins, you have 10mins to cancel your post"...because man, somethings should not be said and you can't delete it after because someone will screen shot it and spread it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think on any platform, you should have a 5min window of "this will be posted in 5mins, you have 10mins to cancel your post"...because man, somethings should not be said and you can't delete it after because someone will screen shot it and spread it.
the internet doesn't forget, this is true. And as discussed, people are just the worst. I really do feel bad for the kids growing up with this being completely normal. Some good/qualified people are going to end up missing real opportunities because of something they posted when they were 14.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'm in my middle-late-middle thirties (ha!) and I truly feel like my age range had it pretty darn good.

I was a kid when we were still actually allowed to be kids. Video games were shiny and new and 8 bits blew our mind. Multiplayer meant your friend or little brother had to be sitting next to you to play and co-op was revolutionary. We played outside with high-tech toys such as sticks and ball gloves.

The internet became a thing as we became teenagers and started things like reports and research. Going into college meant the proliferation of dumb online entertainment like chat rooms and flash video memes (Frog Blender 2000, YTMND, ebausmworld). Going into the workforce suddenly meant a huge number of tech jobs in IS, development, analytics.

Damnit, you all get off my lawn while I reminisce.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I'm in my middle-late-middle thirties (ha!) and I truly feel like my age range had it pretty darn good.

I was a kid when we were still actually allowed to be kids. Video games were shiny and new and 8 bits blew our mind. Multiplayer meant your friend or little brother had to be sitting next to you to play and co-op was revolutionary. We played outside with high-tech toys such as sticks and ball gloves.

The internet became a thing as we became teenagers and started things like reports and research. Going into college meant the proliferation of dumb online entertainment like chat rooms and flash video memes (Frog Blender 2000, YTMND, ebausmworld). Going into the workforce suddenly meant a huge number of tech jobs in IS, development, analytics.

The nostalgia is strong with this post.

*pulls up a lawn chair and sips coffee*

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I'm a few years behind. We had computers, but still no cell phones. I got a computer/internet in 7th grade, then a cell phone just in time for college. Social media showed up mid-college.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Just switched the news on to see some :eek::eek::eek::eek: in Florida slapping a tied up alligator. They put it into the back of a truck and the alligator whips it's head and knocks that :eek::eek::eek::eek: the f*** out :D

Nice one gator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad