OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I honestly and genuinely feel bad for the generation that is growing up knowing that Facebook/Twitter/Instagram is normal.
I'll speak to this a tad. The initial idea of it was brilliant - to connect with those that are difficult to connect with. What it became was the platform for every person to watch their own movie with the starring role none other than themselves. It pushed me away. It really sucks because it could be a cool platform to connect with family and loved ones and stay connected.

Instead - it gave everyone a platform to feel they are important. Annnnnd boy we just aren't. :laugh: I hate it and i'm not being a grumpy old man about it. Not to steal something from Bo but if you can shut it all out and actually live your life - you will enjoy it so much more than running home to see how many people likes your movie.

Oh and I say that with nearly 100k posts. :laugh: But that's my love for hockey!

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here comes my downvotes... i agree with Randy. Never saw it and that song suuuucks.
T7RIBs5.gif

Reactions: ColePens

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dude..

DUDE...

PM Me links man.

*shrugs*

I literally just Googled it. I hadn't dipped my toes into the world of emulation since the Dreamcast, which worked because that appears to be the last time most rom sites were updated...

Never seen Top Gun.

CC @ColePens

My reaction to watching Top Gun is the same reaction I get whenever I show a Werner Herzog film to a normal person.

Oh, and f*** toxic fandoms. Not everything is made for you, you self-important f***ing assholes. CalArts was shut down a couple days ago because the school got a f***ing bomb threat because those f***ing anime avatared losers don't like "the CalArts style" that's ruining cartoons...meant for an elementary school audience...

I'm biting my lip to avoid getting too deep into pissed off rant territory, but the sooner people accept this fact, the sooner we as a society can get back on track: Your love of something does not entitle you to a goddamned f***ing thing.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only crappy thing about taking time off before starting to work is not having a source of income to pay for 2 months of you slothing around. I have around $1600 in debt on my credit card right now that I can't comfortably pay off until I start working, which sucks because it's only going to go up. It's not the end of the world, my card limit is something like $4000 and I don't even need to pay off much a month, but I just don't feel comfortable having this much debt.

I guess it's a good thing because it means I won't be stupid with my money when I do start working, since I won't want that much credit card debt :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'll speak to this a tad. The initial idea of it was brilliant - to connect with those that are difficult to connect with. What it became was the platform for every person to watch their own movie with the starring role none other than themselves. It pushed me away. It really sucks because it could be a cool platform to connect with family and loved ones and stay connected.

Instead - it gave everyone a platform to feel they are important. Annnnnd boy we just aren't. :laugh: I hate it and i'm not being a grumpy old man about it. Not to steal something from Bo but if you can shut it all out and actually live your life - you will enjoy it so much more than running home to see how many people likes your movie.

Oh and I say that with nearly 100k posts. :laugh: But that's my love for hockey!

I don't really get Instagram. Is it like a lazy person's Facebook, where they can't even be bothered to add anything else to their page but pics they upload?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't really get Instagram. Is it like a lazy person's Facebook, where they can't even be bothered to add anything else to their page but pics they upload?

It’s more insidious than that and might be the worst one for kids/teens. At its worst it’s snapshots of people trying to portray how awesome their lives are. Adults should be able to tell that things like that aren’t always what they appear to be because it’s a controlled fraction of someone’s life and things like photoshop exist. You have things like people selling bullshit diet products to their followers while using photoshopped pictures or people essentially whose job it is to workout. It’s probably worse than the old celebrity culture in some ways.

The problem with social media is that you’re not going to find platforms that are all bad and therefor easy to say just don’t do it. Most kids won’t have the tools to healthily navigate it though... and a number of adults...

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I use the following social medias, ranking from what I think is my most used (I rarely post anything):

HFBoards :sarcasm:
Instagram
Snapchat
Imgur
Untappd
LinkedIn (does this count?)
Facebook

Oh yeah, and then there's those dating apps I have to use...

Last edited:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I don't understand Snapchat.

I use Facebook to keep in contact back home
I use Twitter for social activism
I use Instagram to show off my photos
I use HF to chat up @Scandale du Jour, talk hockey and nonsense :D

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
The only crappy thing about taking time off before starting to work is not having a source of income to pay for 2 months of you slothing around. I have around $1600 in debt on my credit card right now that I can't comfortably pay off until I start working, which sucks because it's only going to go up. It's not the end of the world, my card limit is something like $4000 and I don't even need to pay off much a month, but I just don't feel comfortable having this much debt.

I guess it's a good thing because it means I won't be stupid with my money when I do start working, since I won't want that much credit card debt :laugh:
Would you like us to pass around the hat? Maybe send you a food parcel?

Be sensible and you will be in the black soon enough.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I use facebook pretty much to semi-plan events and to keep basic tabs on friends I don't see very often.
I use twitter on trade deadline and free agency day. And honestly people here are so fast to post that I hardly even do that anymore.
I use imgur to host pictures and gifs to post them here :laugh:

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I have no clue how to use Instagram or Snapchat. FB is for keeping in touch with some of my best friends from HS who scattered the winds. Twitter is for hockey news and also for continuing to find widespread evidence that a general sense of misanthropy is the way to go nowadays.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm anti-social. I don't have a Facebook account. I keep in touch with the people I want to IRL. I see Facebook as a platform to promote businesses and shitty memes, play crappy games and spread adware/malware. I do have a Twitter account, but I don't Tweet. I wouldn't have that if it there was another way to keep up with hockey related stuff. I have a Pinterest account, but I only use it as a way to visually bookmark stuff. I have an Imgur account to save gifs and stuff for the board, but I don't participate in any of their shenanigans. There are a couple Instagrams I check out, but mostly they're 'Slow Living' inspo type accounts. I don't have one of my own. Like I said, very anti-social. At least on-line.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I have twitter, facebook and reddit accounts. But I don't really post anything on Facebook, just use it to talk to friends.

Twitter I just talk about rubbish.

Reddit is good as it is much better than twitter at explaining and talking about things, such as politics. You can't do that in 140 characters.

I too have never seen Top Gun

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s more insidious than that and might be the worst one for kids/teens. At its worst it’s snapshots of people trying to portray how awesome their lives are. Adults should be able to tell that things like that aren’t always what they appear to be because it’s a controlled fraction of someone’s life and things like photoshop exist. You have things like people selling bull**** diet products to their followers while using photoshopped pictures or people essentially whose job it is to workout. It’s probably worse than the old celebrity culture in some ways.

The problem with social media is that you’re not going to find platforms that are all bad and therefor easy to say just don’t do it. Most kids won’t have the tools to healthily navigate it though... and a number of adults...

So what you're saying is you photoshop your pics before uploading to instagram? :sarcasm:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I use the following social medias, ranking from what I think is my most used (I rarely post anything):

HFBoards :sarcasm:
Instagram
Snapchat
Imgur
Untappd
LinkedIn (does this count?)
Facebook

Oh yeah, and then there's those dating apps I have to use...

I use HF and Imgur. The rest I deleted long ago, the funniest thing was when I closed my Facebook account like 5yrs ago, my friends all texted me asking if something was wrong, I was like what? Why? They're like "You closed your Facebook account, just making sure you're ok."

Lmao.

Reactions: ColePens

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm waiting to hear back on a job application that would be like 2x my current compensation and in a significantly better climate. A reasonably senior guy at that company that I know from school is vouching for me. I feel like a guy at the craps table shouting "one time!"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I use HF and Imgur. The rest I deleted long ago, the funniest thing was when I closed my Facebook account like 5yrs ago, my friends all texted me asking if something was wrong, I was like what? Why? They're like "You closed your Facebook account, just making sure you're ok."

Lmao.

I've found Facebook makes my friends lazy. If they want to make plans, they seem to use Facebook to set up those plans.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've found Facebook makes my friends lazy. If they want to make plans, they seem to use Facebook to set up those plans.

And that's what I hated. I would get all these invites to crap I would never go to anyway and then when you declined, people would be like "oh look at Mr. too busy to show up to events and decline on facebook" and I was like what? First, f*** you, I got shit to do, and Second...don't invite me then. Just had enough of it.

My gf uses Facebook, every morning she'll lay in bed before she has to get ready for work and will scroll scroll scroll through memes and stupid posts and she can't help it, it's become a routine for her like most people that use that stupid site. We all do it with a site to an extent, I'll do that with Imgur, scroll endlessly to pass the time and see the insane amount of reposts of the same crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad