OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes (Still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
This year has just been brutal. :(

My grandfather passed away today at 92. He was at dialysis yesterday and apparently got sick, so they took him to the hospital. They weren't sure what exactly was wrong, found out today that he had a blood infection, and died a few hours later.

My grandmother had just passed away 4 months ago, after a lengthy battle with Parkinson's. There was time to prepare for that, this one completely blindsided me. He was doing well on Sunday...amped up for the upcoming Nebraska football season (season ticket holder since 1962), among other things. I can't believe how fast it happened, I'm still in a state of disbelief. Have to start packing to drive up there later this week.

Condolences my friend. :(

Reactions: HuskerTornado

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
To @Tom Hanks and @HuskerTornado - I am truly sorry for what you are going through. I feel mentally prepared for every single thing in my life. Nothing can phase me.... except death. Losing someone is so extremely difficult. It's a blessing to have loved that individual, pet, whomever and it's equally as awful when you lose them.

And I haven't been able to read every post so this is going out to anyone who is dealing with a loss. My heart is actually with you and I hope you stay positive and keep the memories alive. That's all we can do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed. I certainly understand why people will frame this as a business decision, but I don't think it is. James Gunn isn't some random director that was handed a great script. James Gunn is the single biggest reason that the GotG movies are good at all. He wrote and directed both of them. He's brilliant, they're not replacing him with an equal because there isn't anybody who is his equal when it comes to that particular kind of movie. I get it, they didn't want people at Comic-Con asking Gunn about paedophilia. That's understandable to a point, but you can't claim that it's a sound business decision. Disney should be smarter than this. Bautista said it best:

It's just unreal to me that the people behind this can say from the left side of their mouths that they oppose James Gunn's "vile comments", but then use the right side of their mouth to heap praise on a racist, thieving, rapist with a bad wig and adult gyno. It's a targeted attack because James Gunn is guilty of wrongthink and Disney can't pretend that they aren't complicit.

Even Amazon punted his Starsky & Hutch reboot.

I hope DC hires him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

My grandfather passed away today at 92. He was at dialysis yesterday and apparently got sick, so they took him to the hospital. They weren't sure what exactly was wrong, found out today that he had a blood infection, and died a few hours later.

My grandmother had just passed away 4 months ago, after a lengthy battle with Parkinson's. There was time to prepare for that, this one completely blindsided me. He was doing well on Sunday...amped up for the upcoming Nebraska football season (season ticket holder since 1962), among other things. I can't believe how fast it happened, I'm still in a state of disbelief. Have to start packing to drive up there later this week.

Sorry to hear dude. My condolences.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Here's the thing, when you get hired, you go through a screening process. These tweets weren't made just 8 to 12 days ago, it was 8-12yrs ago. Disney dropped the ball, then some alt-right wanker brought it back up.

To me, Disney firing him means they took that alt-right whacko's side.
Like I said, i agree it's stupid when it's things they said so long ago. I was just referring in general to the freedom of speech idea.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

My condolences, it's absolutely heartbreaking to lose one grandparent, let alone two. This is probably of no consolation now, but you're very lucky to have had your grandparents around for so long. Their bodies are gone, but their spirits will never die because they live in your heart and your mind now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The hellacious weather may have made my weather app commit suicide.

:laugh:

One of my pugs is really feeling the heat for the first time in his life. Temps are high at night too (and humid!) Not a lot of walks just quick runs in the backyard.

My room stays pretty cool so he cools down pretty quick. There is also the deep freezer (with the lid open!) but that just sets of his anxiety so I don’t do that anymore.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Here's the thing, when you get hired, you go through a screening process. These tweets weren't made just 8 to 12 days ago, it was 8-12yrs ago. Disney dropped the ball, then some alt-right wanker brought it back up.

To me, Disney firing him means they took that alt-right whacko's side.

It's strange too because Disney is a very left leaning company.

But at the end of the day it's about money, and they thought theyd lose money and face if they kept him on, so they cut him loose.

Now they are getting shit for it. We will see if they back peddle.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It makes me happy to know that Chris Hardwick had his stuff looked into and AMC basically just said "Nah bruv, it doesn't add up from everyone we talked to and the evidence we saw, welcome back."

Good. Good. Very f***ing good. For those that are stripped of their careers and their lives at the mere sniff of an allegation before anything is even looked at, I am happy for them. It's ridiculous to have your career destroyed before you even get it all checked out and then when you are found innocent, you have to BUILD back what you already HAD.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's strange too because Disney is a very left leaning company.

But at the end of the day it's about money, and they thought theyd lose money and face if they kept him on, so they cut him loose.

Now they are getting **** for it. We will see if they back peddle.

He made 2 movies, had input on another massive franchise to protect his movie's characters. All in all, he made them billions of dollars in ticket sales and other sales.

He was working on a 3rd movie.

The comments were 8-12yrs ago. How the f*** do you have the largest movie studio in the world that is just getting even bigger to the point of being the most powerful company in the world, not have f***ING PEOPLE THAT DO BACKGROUND CHECKS!?

Disney, if anything, comes out looking like morons in this.

"Oh hey, sorry we didn't dig deep enough when we hired you, totally our fault, but hey man, go f*** yourself and thanks for making us 1.6 billion + in movie sales, not including merchandising...oh and sorry about ruining your entire career and reputation by not having your back after you've made us 1.6 billion, sucker."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The one thing he'll always have on his side is that he's freakishly talented. Roman Polanski raped a child and it didn't hurt his career that much. All James Gunn did was tell some off color jokes. He'll recover from this.

1. He went back to Europe. Europeans are more liberal with that sort of thing, like they knew it was "statutory rape" and that there's some gray area with it, like she might have been ok with it then, not later, parents were choked after which made her angry, she took drugs, he got blamed for maybe forcing her to take drugs, maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

2. I really don't trust our own court system in the US, I never have and I never will and that doesn't even have to do with me being half black.

3. A lot of american actors still wanted to work with him and the time of it was different, if what he did happened now, he'd be done. He'd definitely be done.

James Gunn right now has lost a billion dollar franchise and a potential to reboot a classic 70's show. I feel bad for Gunn, especially in this case, because it's literally the most Pejorative Slured thing in the world to be fired for. I can't even believe he got fired for it, it's just so f***ing ridiculous.

Welcome to the more than 2 gender, sensitive as f***, attacking people on social media to ruin their careers, generation.

DC, hire this man please, for the love of god, please hire the guy. Fire everyone attached to the Justice League movies and bring this man in. If there is anyone that can work an ensemble cast in a super hero movie, it's him. It's definitely him.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Unless the movie/medium of choice has unironic/out of character/out of era, racist/biased/insensitive things does it really matter?

Until GoG has anti-Semitic, pedophilic scenes and characters it kinds seems strange that any of this matters.

Not to mention it is a decade ago, and do we not let people grow and change? You say something once and that is it?

I said Sid shouldn't have the C in the recent past. I am an idiot. But the post is out there for someone to dig up on me, I guess.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unless the movie/medium of choice has unironic/out of character/out of era, racist/biased/insensitive things does it really matter?

Until GoG has anti-Semitic, pedophilic scenes and characters it kinds seems strange that any of this matters.

Not to mention it is a decade ago, and do we not let people grow and change? You say something once and that is it?

I said Sid shouldn't have the C in the recent past. I am an idiot. But the post is out there for someone to dig up on me, I guess.

Disney has its own racist past that they learned and changed from.

The irony is rather intriguing.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It is hard to change someone's views, morals, or opinions when you just label them wrong and ostracize.

Especially as a faceless social media mob. It is too easy to throw shame and outrage around. It makes things that are kinda crummy seem like an egregious offense. And really, waters down things that are egregious later on.

Shouldn't it be about addressing, correcting, or at least enlightening?

hmmph. Outrage Society in full effect.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I have not. Any good?

I did go to Poulet Bleu in Lawrenceville. It suuuucked. Great decor. Decent drinks. Food was brutal and we tried pretty much everything

Haven't been yet. I hopefully will this weekend.

That's a shame about Poulet. Can't imagine that was cheap.

Lorelei in East Liberty seems pretty good. I like their beer selection and the pretzel I had was delicious. Cocktails looked good too. My friend loved his lamb hot pocket (it wasn't called that but I don't recall the real name). Cool building and interior design. I love that shade of green. Nice scenery as well, if you know what I mean.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What’s the best hand held game system out there (old or new)?

I used to have a PSP and played mostly sport games. At summer camp I usually confiscated a DS the nights I had to stay in the bunks early at lights out. Usually one of the kids would play up so I’d take their DS for a night playing Mario Kart against a friend in the next bunk.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I used to have a PSP and played mostly sport games. At summer camp I usually confiscated a DS the nights I had to stay in the bunks early at lights out. Usually one of the kids would play up so I’d take their DS for a night playing Mario Kart against a friend in the next bunk.
I would say the Switch, honestly. You can connect it to a TV, or use it as a hand held. It even has a kick stand so you can prop it up and use the controllers independently. Also ... Mario Kart :D

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch Nintendo Switch

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Haven't been yet. I hopefully will this weekend.

That's a shame about Poulet. Can't imagine that was cheap.

Lorelei in East Liberty seems pretty good. I like their beer selection and the pretzel I had was delicious. Cocktails looked good too. My friend loved his lamb hot pocket (it wasn't called that but I don't recall the real name). Cool building and interior design. I love that shade of green. Nice scenery as well, if you know what I mean.
For some reason I didn't think Lorelei would serve beer. Interesting. I'll have to check that place out.

Edit: their Facebook page and website make it pretty clear that they serve alcohol. Shows how attentive I am..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland