OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Coffee Talk with Linda Richman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They definitely speak English quite well.

Spring time visit? Yeah, I'd do it. Do a south coast trip one day and then hang around the city another day. Food and drink are quite expensive. Get alcohol at the airport and go grocery shopping at Bonus. I ate a lot of gas station food while there -- and it was still pricey. No need for an umbrella as the wind will just turn it inside out. Can you drive stick shift?

No, but I wasn't planning on renting a car anyway because I'm a horrible driver. I accidentally slammed into the wall of the Bakery Square parking garage when I tried to park a couple days ago :laugh:

I think there was something about a museum/bus pass that you could get for 1-3 days, I was probably just going to do that since I already go to a ton of museums in any city I visit.

Reactions: Clare2904

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Do you think it would be worthwhile to include it on a stop for a day or two since I have a layover there anyway? I read that most Icelanders speak English, but I'm not sure if that is German "speak English" (meaning their English is better than my English) or if it's just a basic understanding of the language.
They speak excellent English.

As Randy said, do a tour out of Reykjavik but also take time to explore the capital. Bring money, very expensive!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm trying to pull some strings and get myself to Reykjavík for Iceland Airwaves next year.

And instead of London, I'd recommend going to Scotland. London's got its charms, but if pay 150% of NYC prices makes your blood boil, don't f*** with it. Go to Edinburgh. :laugh:

And for the record, if you're going to visit one old university town, go Oxford over Cambridge. Cambridge sucks.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Star Wars is barely sci-fi. It's fantasy/adventure that happens to be set in space.

And yes, I am beyond excited. Also, I am so happy that they do 7:00 first shows instead of midnight :laugh:

Every Star Wars movie is a Zatoichi movie made by white people for white people.

(Which isn't bad, Zatoichi is awesome.)

tumblr_m2woembzZ11qcck73o1_400.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Every newish trailer I see for Ready Player One makes me more and more concerned for how bad the adaptation is going to be. Hope I'm wrong.

I didn't see this until recently but Amazon Prime is adapting Good Omens with Michael Sheen and David Tennant as Azirophale and Crowley. I don't have Prime but that could be amazingly good. h/t as well for the potentially outstanding casting of Michael McKean as Shadwell.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I didn't see this until recently but Amazon Prime is adapting Good Omens with Michael Sheen and David Tennant as Azirophale and Crowley. I don't have Prime but that could be amazingly good. h/t as well for the potentially outstanding casting of Michael McKean as Shadwell.

Nice! I've got a chapter left in the book.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Every Star Wars movie is a Zatoichi movie made by white people for white people.

(Which isn't bad, Zatoichi is awesome.)

tumblr_m2woembzZ11qcck73o1_400.gif

I find it funny that even Hamill himself is like well maybe Disney should listen to Lucas' advice and thoughts on the franchise. Then Hamill has also talked about how he didn't like RJ's movie at all but will do what he's asked because it's a job.

But god forbid anyone else says anything negative about the Star Wars movies which make a shit load of money, but my god the story is crap for large portions.

I am a fan though, which I know, makes no sense, but I am.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"No one's gonna say "**** you" to me on *my stage* with *my* band!" [punches tambourine player]

That whole scene seemed so surreal and so outrageous that it felt staged. It was supposed to be their "big break" show, too. Making it all the more ridiculous.

We should all aspire to be a bit more like Anton. The world would be a much more interesting place.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I find it funny that even Hamill himself is like well maybe Disney should listen to Lucas' advice and thoughts on the franchise. Then Hamill has also talked about how he didn't like RJ's movie at all but will do what he's asked because it's a job.

But god forbid anyone else says anything negative about the Star Wars movies which make a **** load of money, but my god the story is crap for large portions.

Hamill doesn't like the direction of Luke's character, which is fair, but also a completely different statement to "he didn't like RJ's movie at all".

Nobody should listen to Lucas' thoughts on the franchise. Criticize Episode 7 all you want, but Lucas wanted to make it a teen drama. He's strictly an ideas man who hasn't had a good idea in a long time.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Lucas himself wanted to make the end of the original trilogy much more dark. Particularly as it pertains to Luke. But it would have cut into the toy sales, so they changed it.

From a lot of indications, it seems like maybe that's the direction they are heading back towards regarding Luke's character. Which I find quite compelling, personally.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Lucas himself wanted to make the end of the original trilogy much more dark. Particularly as it pertains to Luke. But it would have cut into the toy sales, so they changed it.

From a lot of indications, it seems like maybe that's the direction they are heading back towards regarding Luke's character. Which I find quite compelling, personally.

Yeah, the thing is, Luke can't be the same person that he was at the end of Episode 6. Too much time has passed, too much has happened - it just wouldn't be reasonable in either a narrative or practical sense. We know that Luke started an academy to train the next generation of Jedi, we know it went tits up and now Luke seems to feel that the Jedi must end. That's a much more interesting narrative than hero Luke comes and saves the day again as soon as things start looking bleak.

My only concern is that Luke, even in a potentially broken state, is still disgustingly powerful. I'm worried we won't get to see that. The confusion and regret and psychological trauma is all great, but I still want to see him f*** a dozen guys up at some point.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I agree. Rogue One gave us a truly spine tingling Darth Vader scene. I want the same done for Luke. Call me selfish, whatever. Dude is supposed to be the most powerful Force user there is.

I just think there is a lot that can be done with his character instead of the same old tired White Knight bullshit. And I'm glad they seem to be exploring the depths of his character as opposed to simply playing it safe. Or at least... that's how it seems.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That whole scene seemed so surreal and so outrageous that it felt staged. It was supposed to be their "big break" show, too. Making it all the more ridiculous.

We should all aspire to be a bit more like Anton. The world would be a much more interesting place.

I always thought the most touching scene in that whole film was with Joel after Anton fired everyone and he's like "Well, how do you explain that you were the tambourine player in a band for several years to employers?":laugh: Poor Joel.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I always thought the most touching scene in that whole film was with Joel after Anton fired everyone and he's like "Well, how do you explain that you were the tambourine player in a band for several years to employers?":laugh: Poor Joel.

Oh man... yeah. Joel is one of those guys where in one breath I'll say "WTF is the point of this guy?" and in the next I'll be like "Joel is absolutely essential to the foundation of this band and possibly Anton's barely-functioning version of "sanity."

"Going up. Top floor. Pantyhose. Illegal drugs and cigarettes."

Reactions: HandshakeLin

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

But god forbid anyone else says anything negative about the Star Wars movies which make a **** load of money, but my god the story is crap for large portions.

I listened to a few of Hamil's complaints. I find them to be self-serving to his own character. I'm not all aboard the Luke Skywalker film. I'm in for the overall story. It's about as basic of a good/evil as you get on so many different levels.

His problems with TFA were pretty lame, IMO. He wanted a bigger role and I liked the idea that Luke was off on his own. It just felt better. But he's also way more connected with Star Wars than I am. I am not a junkie or anything like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
TFA felt like a rehash of a movie, I had no issues with Luke's scenes there and his complaints on that one, I mean I sort of get, in that rehash it makes sense, in a better movie more screen time would have sufficed.

I guess we'll find out this weekend if Hamill is right or wrong.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
TFA felt like a rehash of a movie, I had no issues with Luke's scenes there and his complaints on that one, I mean I sort of get, in that rehash it makes sense, in a better movie more screen time would have sufficed.

My guarantee to you - people will bitch. Because people love bitching.

I know enough, but not too much, so it always works out to my liking.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Remember that Mark Hamill also hates the scene in Empire where Luke cuts the Wompa's arm off because he thinks it is out of character. He doesn't seem to want any darkness to Luke's character. In that sense, I think I'm glad that Hamill doesn't like the direction they are taking Luke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad