OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Alf Pogs! Remember Alf? He's Back...in Pog Form!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Never cared for the Fast & Furious movies but Paul Walker who was one of the stars in those movies died in a car crash tonight. Sad story. He was only 40.

R.I.P.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Word is he was doing a charity event and had just purchased one of these...

1347444432.jpg

Didn't say if he was driving or not, but needless to say, if an inexperience driver gets their hands on one of those and pushes it a bit, things can get real ugly real quickly.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Word is he was doing a charity event and had just purchased one of these...

1347444432.jpg

Didn't say if he was driving or not, but needless to say, if an inexperience driver gets their hands on one of those and pushes it a bit, things can get real ugly real quickly.

Pretty sure I read that he was a passenger.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Then I think the scenario will read, the driver asks Paul if he can open it up a bit, Paul says yes, driver is startled by the power, which he doesn't have any clue how to handle, and he ends up losing control.

Sep 19, 2008
After doing more research apparently it's difficult to drive in Pittsburgh

I'm a little intimidated about my road trip now :laugh:

Pittsburgh is often difficult for strangers to navigate because the roads go every which way, constrained by the rivers and hills. Many are one-way and nearly all are narrow, as they were laid out in the days of horse-and-buggy transportation. Those with a GPS navigation device should get around fine. For those without, a taxi is an option until you get used to the roads, but the public transit, operated by the Port Authority (see below), works quite well for travel within the City. If you do find yourself lost or unsure, however, do not be afraid to ask for help. Most locals are so friendly - and giving directions can be so confusing - that they might just show you to your destination themselves.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

plan out where you are going. Never try to wing it. Seriously, don't just put a GPS on. Study the directions a bit before you leave. I don't care if you can literally see where you are trying to get to. Too many bridges or one way streets. If you don't know what road you should be on, you WILL end up on the wrong side of a river and probably forced to go through a tunnel or climb up a mountain.

Really, I have never had much trouble getting where I needed to go when I made sure I knew the roads before I left. But just throw out basic things you've learned about navigation. 4 right turns will not put you where you started because there isn't a single square block in the city. Just because you can go straight through one light doesn't mean it isn't turning into a turning only lane at the next light. And just because the last three streets were one way in the same direction doesn't mean then next one isn't the same way.

Sep 19, 2008
Alright, thanks. Glad I found out now because I don't have to be there until the 6th. Plenty of time to study the map and plan out a route.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
So, I have a cold and I bought NyQuil. It's called NyQuil SEVERE. Not extra strength, not max strength, SEVERE (in caps).

I'm excited about this.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't know how anyone makes it around Pittsburgh without the aid of a GPS...the geography of the city makes simplicity impossible. Everywhere else I've ever gone you can at least find your landmarks to keep you somewhat near your course...but when everything is rolling hills and waterways and one-way streets that are poorly marked...

My dad has the entire county internalized in his head and can get a shortcut anywhere...it blows my ****ing mind driving with him, especially when he still can't figure out how cell phones work.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know how anyone makes it around Pittsburgh without the aid of a GPS...the geography of the city makes simplicity impossible. Everywhere else I've ever gone you can at least find your landmarks to keep you somewhat near your course...but when everything is rolling hills and waterways and one-way streets that are poorly marked...

My dad has the entire county internalized in his head and can get a shortcut anywhere...it blows my ****ing mind driving with him, especially when he still can't figure out how cell phones work.

but the advantage of all of these elevated roads and bridges is that you can cut straight across downtown without actually entering downtown traffic.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
but the advantage of all of these elevated roads and bridges is that you can cut straight across downtown without actually entering downtown traffic.

That is definitely one big advantage. I have a friend that lives in Santa Monica...which may as well be England when it comes to traffic, getting from one side of the 405 to the other, regardless if you're actually using it, is an hour-long ordeal at most times of the day around here. The guy lives 5 miles away and I see him probably once every-other-month just because of the traffic issue. My dad can get from Bethel Park to Oakland in 30 minutes at 5pm on a Monday.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That is definitely one big advantage. I have a friend that lives in Santa Monica...which may as well be England when it comes to traffic, getting from one side of the 405 to the other, regardless if you're actually using it, is an hour-long ordeal at most times of the day around here. The guy lives 5 miles away and I see him probably once every-other-month just because of the traffic issue. My dad can get from Bethel Park to Oakland in 30 minutes at 5pm on a Monday.

Ya it took me 20 minutes to get from Dormont to the top of Perrysville when I worked up there.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
When I was in Pittsburgh I didn't have any problems with the directions. Mind you, I wasn't driving.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

It is difficult. It shouldn't be a huge problem though if you give yourself enough time. I would definitely look at Google maps and get an idea of where things are. The thing that consistently ****s me when I'm driving downtown, even now after living in Pittsburgh, going to school in Uptown, and my Dad owning a business in the strip district, are all the one way streets. On a map, it's really easy to navigate. Once the **** hits the fan, and you catch a 1 way or something, it can get hairy. Google maps is awesome at labeling one ways, so that's what I've always done. I've had a GPS, but I've printed out actual maps from Google before.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
So, I have a cold and I bought NyQuil. It's called NyQuil SEVERE. Not extra strength, not max strength, SEVERE (in caps).

I'm excited about this.

That reminds me of a dude in college once who was handing out shrooms and telling people to "enjoy your journey."

I feel as though I should tell you the same thing.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I rarely drove during grad school. I lived in Oakland and it was so easy to walk, catch buses, or bum a ride from a friend who had to pass through the neighborhood anyway. Even though I had my car and enjoy driving, I just never needed it. My car was actually towed by the city at one point and I didn't even notice for a couple weeks. It had been in the same spot for ages before that.

I started driving a lot more after graduation because I moved to East Liberty and wasn't really connected to the bus routes I needed. Most of my classmates had left and my remaining friends didn't have cars, so I went from the guy who always mooched rides to the one who gave them almost overnight.

Once, though, when I had only been in town for a few months, I had to drop a friend off at the bus station downtown. On my way to get back to Oakland via Bigelow, I came to an intersection that looked pretty straightforward, so I proceeded straight. Only when I get through do I realize that traffic going in my direction was supposed to bear right around this little median, so I ended up briefly in the complete wrong lane.

Fortunately it was past midnight and no one was coming in the other direction. (Probably in part because it was an absolutely frigid December night.) Despite my trouble, I somehow ended up missing Bigelow entirely and wound up taking the Boulevard of the Allies back to Oakland, which seemed to happen every time I drove downtown, regardless of how I intended to get out.

Coming back to Pennsylvania for a couple weeks and doing a lot of driving made me miss the layout of Tucson, especially after going into Philadelphia a couple times. There's something to be said for being able to have significant stretches of most main roads be three lanes wide. Also I will take overly-cautious-yet-oblivious snowbirds and retirees over insane southeastern Pennsylvanian, Delawarean, and New Jerseyan drivers anyday.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

I'm excited about this.

Well it was nice knowing you...

On another unrelated medical note, insomnia due to anxiety ****ing SUCKS. Christ I hate how ****ed up my sleeping patterns are right now. :rant:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Well, got a phone interview next week with a railway. ******** bricks, to say the least.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well it was nice knowing you...

On another unrelated medical note, insomnia due to anxiety ****ing SUCKS. Christ I hate how ****ed up my sleeping patterns are right now. :rant:

Oh man that's awful. Not sure what kind of anxiety but I've had that before and it's terrible. Unfortunately the anxiety mainly stemmed from hockey and girls :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad