TV: Big Brother 23

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
The last few years have been so predictable - the “cool” kids team up on the outcasts, and pick them off one by one, and then the “cool” kids turn on each other. No one wants to make a big move . A lot of people’s strategies are simply to just “float by” - I’m looking at you Nicole Franzel!

This season it seems everyone has come to play, people are making big moves , and Big Brother just seems to much fresher .

Even this week production knew they had a big week on their hands as we usually see the veto ceremony on Wednesday night but because it was such a big move they rolled it into Thursday’s episode.

The producers must be thrilled with their casting decisions . And like someone else said , most of the stupid is out the door - Brent, Frenchie and to a lesser extent, Whitney.

I didn’t mind Christian at all. I expected to not like him but he grew on me, but to get him out this early in the game - I can appreciate the game move!

Great season!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Kyland wins HoH and nominates Claire and... Derek F. Unless the plan is to backdoor Derek X (highly unlikely since he's very close with Derek X), I would assume this is the week The Cookout disbands.

Reactions: Thucydides

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not anyone’s job to throw you HOH. They’re all gonna put up your #1. And then the person you tried to throw it to was absolutely going to do it and didn’t want you to win, so he was getting played

Reactions: chicagoskycam

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I watched Big Brother from the beginning, stopped at season 17 I think, came back a bit over the last two seasons mainly due to covid. I either had or followed the feeds pretty much every time through season 14. The show was much better about being true to what was actually happening before, but when the EP changed it became much more about production's narrative. I will say that they did start showing some of what's actually happening recently this season, though a few weeks late.

There are things that they didn't or haven't shown that I get, but they've missed some golden opportunities. The full Frenchie experience with his actual motivations was great, the actual state of the Cookout, which I think they don't want to touch with a 10 foot pole given how they pretended that the Royal Flush mattered at all, is interesting, and Tiffany has had a great arc that they've barely hinted at. It's still Big Brother and I mostly enjoy it for what it is. At this point I'll be shocked if one of Xavier, Kyland, or Tiffany doesn't win, which wouldn't be bad, and if the Cookout explodes as it would have already in most seasons it could make for an interesting ride.

I will say this, it must be a bitch to cut down all those hours of content to less than three hours a week, and make sure the relevant stuff gets in there.

Reactions: Thucydides

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I will say this, it must be a bitch to cut down all those hours of content to less than three hours a week, and make sure the relevant stuff gets in there.

Definitely, especially with tight time constraints and people more or less able to check on accuracy. Their goal is to make a entertaining show first and foremost, not necessarily to show what is actually going on, but they do pretty well on both counts. They sometimes show things a few weeks after they start being relevant but they have done a good job with giving a taste of everything that's happened, at least from what I've gathered. Nothing to really complain about.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Seems like Claire is the target after she talked about going after Cookout members, Derek X seems to be safe this week. The cookout looks challenged to stay together but has not totally come apart yet.
It really Rings true, what Xavier says about keeping the Cookout together is one of the hardest things he's done in his life.
Tiffany, Derek F are really strong personalities. I would say Azha and Kyland are kind of passive aggressive personalities.
It will be interesting to see if they keep this Alliance together for the long run.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
It's nice to see a Big Brother that mirrors what's going on in society. They're doing a wonderful job of purging all the evil whites from the house. #TGR

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Seems like Claire is the target after she talked about going after Cookout members, Derek X seems to be safe this week. The cookout looks challenged to stay together but has not totally come apart yet.
Not only that, but it was so evident she was throwing every competition she took part in while having the "safety until jury" wildcard power.

I get it, you feel safe but the rest of the house isn't oblivious. I had a feeling they'd come after her the instant her power went away.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not only that, but it was so evident she was throwing every competition she took part in while having the "safety until jury" wildcard power.

I get it, you feel safe but the rest of the house isn't oblivious. I had a feeling they'd come after her the instant her power went away.

yeah I don’t know if so much that as it’s the fact she’s not part of any alliance, tells the HoH she’s targeting his alliance. She seems fairly oblivious to what’s going on in the house

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
yeah I don’t know if so much that as it’s the fact she’s not part of any alliance, tells the HoH she’s targeting his alliance. She seems fairly oblivious to what’s going on in the house
I'd argue it's the opposite, actually. She seems to be the only houseguest that has caught on to The Cookout.

Problem is, she told the wrong person about it lol.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well if she actually caught on the Cookout, it must be after her convo with Kyland or she's an idiot.
On the live feeds a week-plus ago, she mentioned every single member of The Cookout to Derek X without outright saying the alliance name. It was her thinking out loud to him about there being a potential alliance and she got every single member right.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I will say it's rather strange how much positive promotion The Cookout is getting. Don't get me wrong, minorities deserve every bit of opportunity on shows like this and in life in general as majorities (speaking as a minority Arab myself living in Canada), but creating an alliance where you can't join due to reasons that are out of your control? I don't know.

You can see the members of The Cookout are struggling with the very concept themselves. Xavier was not ok with Christian being backdoor eliminated. Azah and Derek F were not ok with Britini going home - ditto Tiffany with Claire. Hannah will not be ok if Derek X goes and Kyland will not be ok if Sarah Beth goes. Yet, they're all "working together" despite all six members of The Cookout hardly liking and/or trusting one another. It's a very, very strange alliance that feels forced, and that's why I don't believe it's going to last.

Anyways:

Sarah Beth wins HoH and her two nominations are Claire and Derek F. According to the live feeds, she initially had 4 targets on her mind: Alyssa, Hannah, Tiffany, and Derek F. However, after Kyland spent the entire night talking game with her he's actually managed to change her targets as she nominated Claire and Derek F, but is considering Derek X as a backdoor option. Sarah Beth clearly had Cookout members on her target list, and Kyland has managed to completely change her line of thinking.

Well, looks like Alyssa won the "Nomination Roulette" high roller contest and chose to save Derek F. The roulette wheel then randomly selected Xavier as the replacement nomination. This seemingly changes nothing, though, as it's just swapping out one Cookout member for another. Derek X seems to still be the clear target and if he or Hannah don't win the Veto, he's likely going home.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
How are there still people thinking that this alliance won't last lmao? They're already practically at the end, and each of them have shown to pick the alliance that they do not like, over the people that they actually like, and are better for their game.

And I honestly believe that Claire and Derek x know about the cook out (not the name, but the people and concept) but are not actively targeting it because of potential irl backlash and hate. The potential outrage on social media if they nominate 2 black people, or if they even SUGGEST the idea that they are working together based on race, people would just label them as racists. It's ashame that people have to ruin their once in a life time opportunity for the "greater good". People like Hannah has even discussed in the past that Derek x should be okay not winning for this "greater good". Like c'mon, gimmie a break.

Once again, BBUS season is a complete boring dud. I don't think two black people will be nominated together until final 6, or 7 (if the remaining non black person wins hoh).

BBcan has been on for only 9 seasons, but it's hilarious how much better they are at casting than Bbus. They have never had an issue with minorities all going out early, and the game being dominated by white people. They have had several POC finalists and now multiple POC winners. Maybe it's a difference in culture or it could possibly just be casting.

The issue Bbus has is casting shitty people like Jackson and Jack on seasons over and over again. They need to cast more people like Christian. Bbcan just simply doesn't cast people like Jackson. Also, in the past when bbus does cast minorities they are often just there to fill a specific stereotype and they are likely not looking for good players that are POC. There are so many great POC players in BBcan.

Also the blatant disrespect to other minorities displayed by not only Bbus, but the cook out itself is disgusting. But hey, I'm sure Bbus is patting themselves on the back for finally getting a black winner after 23 SEASONS

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
ehh I don't have an issue with the Cookout alliance this season for a few reasons. It's never happened before and I'm not a BB historian, is this season the most black contestants they have had on the show at one time? I feel like it's typically 4 with one going out fairly early. They have been very tactical about it by forging relationships with the entire house and influencing other HOH's. It will be extremely challenging for another group to pull this off moving forward, it seems like nobody outside of the Cookouts is on to it. If this became an every-season thing, it would turn me off.

In terms of gameplay, Xavier is playing a very strong game as well as Derek X, then maybe Kyland. I don't have an issue if any of those three wins. Maybe Sara Beth takes a shot but doubtful. No matter what when watching BB, I always want the big alliance in the house to be targeted, I'm always routing for the underdogs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I will say it's rather strange how much positive promotion The Cookout is getting. Don't get me wrong, minorities deserve every bit of opportunity on shows like this and in life in general as majorities (speaking as a minority Arab myself living in Canada), but creating an alliance where you can't join due to reasons that are out of your control? I don't know.

You can see the members of The Cookout are struggling with the very concept themselves. Xavier was not ok with Christian being backdoor eliminated. Azah and Derek F were not ok with Britini going home - ditto Tiffany with Claire. Hannah will not be ok if Derek X goes and Kyland will not be ok if Sarah Beth goes. Yet, they're all "working together" despite all six members of The Cookout hardly liking and/or trusting one another. It's a very, very strange alliance that feels forced, and that's why I don't believe it's going to last.

Anyways:

Sarah Beth wins HoH and her two nominations are Claire and Derek F. According to the live feeds, she initially had 4 targets on her mind: Alyssa, Hannah, Tiffany, and Derek F. However, after Kyland spent the entire night talking game with her he's actually managed to change her targets as she nominated Claire and Derek F, but is considering Derek X as a backdoor option. Sarah Beth clearly had Cookout members on her target list, and Kyland has managed to completely change her line of thinking.

Well, looks like Alyssa won the "Nomination Roulette" high roller contest and chose to save Derek F. The roulette wheel then randomly selected Xavier as the replacement nomination. This seemingly changes nothing, though, as it's just swapping out one Cookout member for another. Derek X seems to still be the clear target and if he or Hannah don't win the Veto, he's likely going home.

To be fair most bb alliances are alliances you can’t join for reasons out of your control.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One of the problems is that the ability to be backdoored without playing in veto kills a lot of good players games, especially since we know not everyone has a chip in the bag.

The Cookout is like old school big brother where people worked together but didn’t always like each other. They understood it was best for their games and it’s done in a way where everyone is kind of locked in and don’t really have a good way out and now anyone wanting to flip won’t have enough numbers past this week.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To be fair most bb alliances are alliances you can’t join for reasons out of your control.
I don't know if I'd agree with that. Alliances are usually formed because of trust, and they often break down because of a lack of trust.

This alliance was formed solely based on the colour of their skin.

Can you imagine the absolute outrage on social media if, for example, Travis, Brent, Christian, Frenchie, Claire, and Alyssa had formed a six-person alliance because they're all white? Maybe something like that has happened in the past without being outright stated, but if it happened now those people would be crucified.

The Cookout does it, though, and it seems like social media is praising them and you even have the houseguests themselves talking about "the greater good" as if that means anything.

People like Derek X and Claire have caught on, I don't think either of them should be afraid to take shots at these people. There's 750K on the line, who cares about their mythical "greater good" reasons for wanting The Cookout to advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad