TSN: Betting site says Leafs' Carlyle is most likely to be first coach fired

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Carlyle has the greatest odds of being fired then that suggests they don't believe the Leafs will be having a good season by extension.

silentbob37*

Carlyle is here because Shanahan is tanking

No he isn't, if he was Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul etc... would all be wearing other uniforms right now.

I don't think its really if Carlyle gets fired but when.

The most interesting question is what effects a new coach will have on the team. Its on Carlyle that he didn't change systems when it was clear the Swarm wasn't working, but its the players fault it wasn't working in the first place. So you can bring in Babcock, who can bring whatever system he wants, if the players can't or refuse to execute it, we're in kind of the same place aren't we?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
No he isn't, if he was Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul etc... would all be wearing other uniforms right now.

The most interesting question is what effects a new coach will have on the team. Its on Carlyle that he didn't change systems when it was clear the Swarm wasn't working, but its the players fault it wasn't working in the first place. So you can bring in Babcock, who can bring whatever system he wants, if the players can't or refuse to execute it, we're in kind of the same place aren't we?

That's when you start trading players. If they won't buy in, they shouldn't be here. Would management do something so drastic? Well, that's up to them.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We can trash Randy all day long, but the guy just got extended. Until the Leafs start struggling in the regular season, he isn't at risk of losing it.

Pens coach got extended, and then was fired. The "extension" won't matter IMHO.

Brass will panic and fire him around Christmas if things are not going well, unless they have somebody specifically identified already and must wait longer. No surprise RC is on the endangered species list,.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Whenever I see someone say Babcock, I think to Richards... and Nash... and every other marquee free agent that had no desire of coming to Toronto.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Whenever I see someone say Babcock, I think to Richards... and Nash... and every other marquee free agent that had no desire of coming to Toronto.

think burke. everyone was skeptical about him coming here, and yet he made his way to the leafs in the middle of the season. not saying babcock will do the same, but in the off-season, i think its very possible.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Babcock coming is not a foregone conclusion in anyway. Odds are he doesn't come to Toronto, and just stays in Detroit.

I'm not sure why he'd be interested. He will have intense scrutiny and pressure here with less to work with. If the man is motivated to move, he will have plenty of options. Unless he likes instability and lack of job security, then he stays where he is now, or selects better options.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm not sure why he'd be interested. He will have intense scrutiny and pressure here with less to work with. If the man is motivated to move, he will have plenty of options. Unless he likes instability and lack of job security, then he stays where he is now, or selects better options.

Maybe he'd like the challenge and the statue that would come with success ? Maybe he wants money ? Who knows ? It's not impossible. My gut says he stays put though.

silentbob37*

That's when you start trading players. If they won't buy in, they shouldn't be here. Would management do something so drastic? Well, that's up to them.

I think if management was willing to do that we'd have seen them do it with the guys not willing to buy into Carlyle's system.

IF the reports of Kessel and some of the Leafs top players refusing to buy in are true, and it continues, changing the coach will only do so much.

Sure some marquee guys didn't want to come here, but they've also made their fair share of big name signings and kept guys who could have gotten jobs with other teams.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Don't be to sure about that bob.

Shanny has yet to show his hole cards.

It would not shock me if shanny blew this up during the season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think Shanny will get sick of Randy soon enough. I'd rather the Leafs to be successful and win, though, and not have to worry about making a coaching change.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
He's a joke. His system does not work, and he doesn't seem to change anything on this team. Same thing different year.

Get the point already Shanahan.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Name the last winning coach for the Leafs in the last 10 years? Starts with a "C".

Sorry guys the coach is not the problem with this team. Maurice, Wilson, Carlyle are suffer the same fate in this city. The next will as well. This team has to develop lots of smart hockey players. No more trading top picks - trade players instead.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The only thing that will stop Carlyle from getting fired is the fact there are no better long term options available and if we are really that bad management will just tank it for McDavid.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Name the last winning coach for the Leafs in the last 10 years? Starts with a "C".

Sorry guys the coach is not the problem with this team. Maurice, Wilson, Carlyle are suffer the same fate in this city. The next will as well. This team has to develop lots of smart hockey players. No more trading top picks - trade players instead.
Winning what? Was the coach who won in 1967 a guy with a last name starting with C?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If RC is fired, the possibility of Leafs free falling even more is greater if Spott takes over. Can't see any coach making a difference with this team. They only know run and scramble when they feel like it. Hard to turn hamburger into steak.

RC may be the convenient scapegoat, but he isn't the entire problem, if at all.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Neither Maurice or Wilson had the talent that Carlyle has right now.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
carlyle will be fired promptly.

it's not even his fault. he's just a victim and is caught in the crossfires.

he's been given a shLt team to work with, so what exactly can he accomplish with a group of under-achieving bums?

If he's been given crap pile to work with, then how exactly can he be expected to magically turn that crap pile into a winning team?

But that's the life on an NHL coach, and they all know it, even before they sign on the dotted line. They're basically being given a couple milion upfront to coach the team for the next few years, and they realize that if the team continues to lose during that time that they'll be canned, but it won't matter because they still earn the remainder of their deal. Hundreds and hundreds of coahces have been through this process, and every one of them knew that before signing up. You think they're worried about losing their job? lol. they knew that from the start. If it doesn't work out here (which is a 95% chance for ALL coaches).. well then they just cashin on the rest of their deal; and wait to be hired by the next team lol.

Carlyle will be gone though. Before Christmas. The only thing that will save him is if they go on a winning streak. If not, Randy will be sitting at home, cashing in on the rest of his deal while he watches games on his couch. Wow, what a bad situation huh? lol. these guys are ALL self-entitled multi-millionaires who have no idea what finacial woes could ever mean.. we need to wake up and realize that we're just watching a bunch of rich individuals who make more in 20 minutes that most people might make in half their life... no need to be angry, sad, happy or glad over these NHL teams... they're all living the high life and beleive me most of them don't give 2 craps whethetr they lost tonight or not... because even if they lost, they can STILL go out and buy a new car after the game... and the same for the next game.. and the game after that.. and after that.. now they have 4 new cars in the same week, all paid for... see how sick this whole thing really is? don't EVER feel sorry for these idiots who come on the ice and just loaft right through the entire game... it's an insult to evry hard-working canadian in the country who paid to see these lazy idiots in the first place

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

Give Maurice or Wilson the sqaud we currently have and they will do much better job with them than Carlyle. I know it's players' fault as well but sometimes you don't want to play the system you're not suited for or you think won't bring any results.

Wilson had a squad of plugs with Kessel being only bright spot for his team. No organizational depth, no top end talent, no top line players, no Gardiner, no Lupul, no JVR, no Bernier, no Rielly, no Kadri and on and on and on... Wilson's system will do wonders with the offensive talent we have right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Give Maurice or Wilson the sqaud we currently have and they will do much better job with them than Carlyle. I know it's players' fault as well but sometimes you don't want to play the system you're not suited for or you think won't bring any results.

Wilson had a squad of plugs with Kessel being only bright spot for his team. No organizational depth, no top end talent, no top line players, no Gardiner, no Lupul, no JVR, no Bernier, no Rielly, no Kadri and on and on and on... Wilson's system will do wonders with the offensive talent we have right now.

Wilson had no goaltender to work with. He had a rookie James Reimer at the end but that's about it.

Gustavsson, Raycroft and Toskala. I mean, how can you be competitive with goaltenders like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad